Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Christmas contest, perhaps [washout]

Pretty much a shot in the dark, but show of hands if you might be interested.

Last year's contest was a washout, will 2019, an odd year, fare better?

Deadline would be around Sunday 22nd perhaps, so we'd still have a few days to vote and post results on Xmas Day which falls on Wednesday.

Re: A Christmas contest, perhaps.

tentatively in, awaiting a flash of inspiration
    I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

I'm interested. I just finished a follow-up script to A Christmas Carol that I'm rather excited about. Would be good to get some more feedback.

EDIT: Well, farts. Nevermind. Didn't realize it was for short stories only. Mine is 90 pages.

Comment

I'll give it a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post
          tentatively in, awaiting a flash of inspiration
          So that's a no then.

Originally posted by Cokeyskunk View Post
          EDIT: Well, farts. Nevermind. Didn't realize it was for short stories only. Mine is 90 pages.
          Consider writing an 8-page "B" story you didn't use in your full length screenplay!

Originally posted by Concar View Post
          I'll give it a shot.
          Good good, two and a half weeks to come up with something.

Comment

So rules as normal, 8 pages, a vague mention of the Yuletide season, Santa dead by page 7 in a Elvish coup? That sort of stuff? No last minute Easter eggs?
            I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterso View Post
              Pretty much a shot in the dark, but show of hands if you might be interested.

Last year's contest was a washout, will 2019, an odd year, fare better?

Deadline would be around Sunday 22nd perhaps, so we'd still have a few days to vote and post results on Xmas Day which falls on Wednesday.
              Why a deadline before Xmas, 16 days? What's the harm of letting it run until Dec 31? Keep the prompt/theme broad, maybe just "Holidays." Specific plots are a turnoff.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post
                So rules as normal, 8 pages, a vague mention of the Yuletide season, Santa dead by page 7 in a Elvish coup? That sort of stuff? No last minute Easter eggs?
                Sounds legit, 8 pages max (can be shorter), send PDF or exported text to dpaterson57 @ gmail.com

Originally posted by bioprofessor View Post
                Why a deadline before Xmas, 16 days? What's the harm of letting it run until Dec 31? Keep the prompt/theme broad, maybe just "Holidays." Specific plots are a turnoff.
                Xmas is a recognizable event, the TV channels are full of Xmas themed movies right now. No one says you have to write about Santa or elves. By all means just write something about holidays. We've gone off-theme before and it didn't get us anything extra. Extending the deadline didn't get us anything either.

None of which bothers me either way, if everyone says yeah let's aim for New Year instead, I'm easy.
                Last edited by dpaterso; 12-08-2019, 09:25 PM. Reason: it helps if I get the email address right

Comment

Sounds legit, 8 pages max (can be shorter), send PDF or exported text to dpaterson @ gmail.com

Xmas is a recognizable event, the TV channels are full of Xmas themed movies right now. No one says you have to write about Santa or elves. By all means just write something about holidays. We've gone off-theme before and it didn't get us anything extra. Extending the deadline didn't get us anything either.

None of which bothers me either way, if everyone says yeah let's aim for New Year instead, I'm easy.
                  If the deadline is Jan 1, then I think the Xmas/holiday spirit will still be in the ether, and writers will have a bit more time to write, while getting all family/personal holiday stuff done. The Halloween "double buried body" prompt was too restrictive IMO.

Comment

Sounds legit, 8 pages max (can be shorter), send PDF or exported text to dpaterson57 @ gmail.com

Or a Christmas AND a New Year contest. I definitely don't see Christmas and the New Year as two parts of the same holiday. New Year is when everyone is hauling their Christmas tree out to the curb.
                    STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

Working...
                    X