Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: D.i.y.

I'm involved with a local film group who fund their projects themselves. I wrote the screenplay for their current project which is now in post-production. The core members pay an amount each month by direct debit into an account, and every couple of years they spend the money on making a (very) low-budget movie. No-one gets paid for taking part, but lots of volunteers get involved for the fun of it and because these guys have established a good reputation. So the money is spent on stuff they can't borrow or get for free. This time round they also managed to get some money from a local business organisation who give grants to community groups, so that was a bonus.

For me, I'm at a stage where I want to see my work getting produced, and it's a great learning opportunity, not just from the writing point of view but the whole filmmaking process.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandmaster View Post

Frighteningly enough, researching Producer as a career shows that there are NO FORMAL REQUIREMENTS. That's right: no need to know how cameras work, actors' rights, distribution deal contracts or even a business background - it's literally: get the cash, make the film. A total hit-or-miss.
      If you know a good amount about the business side and are a great bullshitter...or salesman...or both then you can make your own contacts and do well producing.
      One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

A friend and I wanted to make a short film, no matter how good or bad, just to get our creative juices flowing. I came on as the writer/producer and he was the director/producer. It was very much a DIY project. We didn't want to spend much money (our budget ended up being under $250), so we decided to shoot on the iPhone. I wrote a script knowing that it would be shot on a phone. So, there was basically no dialogue, no night shots, and only two characters. Being limited helped us become more creative and think out of the box. We put up an ad on mandy and craigslist for actors and shot it over a weekend with the help of another friend who was the AD and did an original score.

If you've never shot anything before, I suggest doing a short before going onto a feature. You don't necessary need a lot of money. Use whatever resources you can borrow and beg for and write a script built around what you can get. Being in New York, there are a ton of actors willing to work for free and people who are getting started in the business who are willing to help behind the scenes. But wherever you are, just get a bunch of friends together. The film may not win an Oscar, but you'll learn a lot and the next one will be better than the first. The best advice I've been given is just to go out there and start shooting.

Comment

I financed, produced and directed my film despite having no equipment or technical skills whatsoever, so it certainly can be done.

www.touchstonethemovie.com

Comment

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever considered registering their own company and looking for funding to make their own film?

It seems that we spend a hell of a lot of time hoping that our queries will appeal to someone, whereas we could just spent this time taking our scripts out and getting sh1t done ourselves.

Frighteningly enough, researching Producer as a career shows that there are NO FORMAL REQUIREMENTS. That's right: no need to know how cameras work, actors' rights, distribution deal contracts or even a business background - it's literally: get the cash, make the film. A total hit-or-miss.

So, if you've faith in your best screenplay, why not Do It Yourself?

I'd appreciate non-flamers posting replies (but know it's not going to happen).

EDIT: The topic's supposed to be in capital letters; I guess I missed that.
            It's something that can be done effectively if you plan it right, even with shoestring budgets. Whatever script you do and however you do it, make sure it has professional sounding audio, good lighting and at least decent cinematography. Half ass on those things and you'll waste everybody's time including your own. The market is already over saturated with the complete opposite ever since video camera's became so dirt cheap over the past decade.
            "Making movies is a collaborative process...bend over."

Comment

Rule One of Hollywood: Always use someone else's money

Comment

Which of course, requires money.
                PRIMER - Sundance award winner - $7k.

I believe COLIN was made for $70.00 - and played festivals.

Though you have to write a script that can be made on a budget, lots of people do that... and then make their own films. I wrote my script to be made on whatever I could scrape up... and now I'm going to do the kickstarter thing. Which may be something you can do.

I don't think you can walk in off the street and get someone to give you millions, but you can use Indie-go-go or Kickstarter or some other crowd-funding program to get enough $ to make a small feature like PRIMER or EL MARIACHI or RESERVOIR DOGS (written to be shot on my friend's 16mm camera - but they found a home video company to put up the $ when Keitel signed on). There's an *explosion* of DIY movies right now.

I have a friend whose movie just got released - and is on shelves at Best Buy, etc... made in her home town for pocket change.

If I could get my idiot co-horts to get the mock up poster done... and then get off my lazy butt and shoot the trailer...

- Bill
                Free Script Tips:
                http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

My first short film finishes post production within a couple of months. I'm already preparing for my next short. After that, I'm planning to produce my first feature. Yes, it eventually comes down to money, but I'm looking at some creative ways to finance it.

The best thing about independent film is that you're always working on a project that's in the process of getting produced. You don't just write a script and try to find someone you hope will send it to someone you hope will do something and on and on. It really is all about the movie. And it really feels great! I highly recommend it.

Breanne

Comment

Working...
                  X