Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Writer's portfolio websites

Vango, don't be afraid to try it (but, yes, copyright your stuff first).

As far as people stealing ideas, that can happen anyway, anywhere, like from IMDB or especially Wiki listings (has full synopsis there).

As for building a site, the BL and SpecScout and 32 are all options, but they'll pick your wallet clean.

Writer CJ Walley used to be here a lot, till those with the attitudes got him down. Now he's off making movies instead of just talking about it, and he's also generously produced his free http://www.scriptrevolution.com (SR) site, based on BL and others like it.

Say, here's an idea: Buy a domain, then re-direct it to your profile there. Here's mine:

Steve Garry on ScriptRevolution

I only post my query content, not my full scripts for download - though many writers do that. That may be one reason I've only had 2-3 script requests over the few years it's been up.

Anyway, SR is free, but there are still at least two major things missing from it: A plethora of reps and producers to visit the site, and coverage for them to refer to.

In just the past week, I've referred two producers to SR, and CJ confirmed they've signed up. While these producers and I couldn't make a deal on any my stuff, maybe they'll find something there to their liking. If each of us does that, it'll help CJ get more cred on his site, and also help us in the long run as more and more eclectic producers pay the site a visit.

As for the coverage idea, CJ wanted to avoid anything that cost writers any money. But the last time we talked about it, I believe he was going to add an option to our profiles so those of us who spent the bucks on coverage could mention we had some, and then let visiting producers access it.

Lastly, most of you know that I've had my own site since 2009 or so, and have not really changed it since except to add content (scripts):

http://www.stevegarry.ca

It's a clunker, and one could do better with any of the free or cheap site hosters/web builders like Wix. But I spent a lot of time on the Javascripts, it's easy to maintain, and at least it's all on one screen without a myriad of stupid menus to get lost in. When it's such a clunker, at least don't make 'em have to hunt for stuff.

It should also be obvious to anyone who's visiting that it's just a placeholder, for now, and that I can (and will) do better once I have some sales under my belt.

As for whether or not these sites are any benefit, here's a story that indicates that they can be:

Last year, and for about the nth time over nearly a decade, I pitched a major producer who has dozens of theatrical releases. I never knew if the queries were being looked at, and my stats only tell me the country/resolution/duration of anybody's visits. But, I just keep sending 'em pitches till they tell me to stop.

However, this time some poor Assistant ended up cc'g me on an internal note that was being sent around the company to different staff, hours after I pitched it:

xxxxxx asked me to send this to you. Please let me know your thoughts. Also make sure you check out each link. Thank you.
    Whoops! I got a second email immediately from the clerk, asking me to ignore it. (ha ha, right) I responded to him and said no sweat... but of course the lad's mistake "made my day". (Note: He's still working at the company, now as EA to the CEO.)

So, building a site doesn't mean they'll come, but if you include a link in a pitch they may very well check it out! What's to lose?

Comment

I've said this before and I know most people's minds are made up -- but I don't think it's a great idea for writers myself. Established book writers sure -- makes total sense. Not sure it makes sense for screenwriters...

But to me, the key to Hollywood is they want to pretend your new, fresh and this is your first script and they just discovered you.

To me all social media -- this includes portfolio websites -- just gives reasons for people to say no. They don't like your pic. Some of your other ideas. Or see that you wrote 25 specs and haven't been repped... they don't see that as a positive even if that's the norm for writers.

So I just take the other side, that mystery and protecting what you tell people is good. Like a job interview.

Many stories and personal experience from people that hire people how social media like Facebook has lost people jobs as too much info is there.

Before you just had a resume and it made you look good. Now people send a resume and you google their name and find out their entire life. And that can just give people pause to hire you.

Think about yourself. Have you not clicked on a stranger's link to social media/personal site and then changed your opinion on that person for better or worse? I have. It's only human.

I'm just being practical. I don't have much to hide, but I also don't want to have a list of the 30 specs I wrote and the 28 that did nothing for me for everyone to see. That's me.

I'm older now, but when I query they don't know if I'm 22 or 52. They don't know if I'm fat or handsome. Man or women sometimes. Or if I've been repped 3 times before. Keep them guessing so they only judge the work in front of them is my mantra.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
        I've said this before and I know most people's minds are made up -- but I don't think it's a great idea for writers myself. Established book writers sure -- makes total sense. Not sure it makes sense for screenwriters...

But to me, the key to Hollywood is they want to pretend your new, fresh and this is your first script and they just discovered you.

To me all social media -- this includes portfolio websites -- just gives reasons for people to say no. They don't like your pic. Some of your other ideas. Or see that you wrote 25 specs and haven't been repped... they don't see that as a positive even if that's the norm for writers.

So I just take the other side, that mystery and protecting what you tell people is good. Like a job interview.

Many stories and personal experience from people that hire people how social media like Facebook has lost people jobs as too much info is there.

Before you just had a resume and it made you look good. Now people send a resume and you google their name and find out their entire life. And that can just give people pause to hire you.

Think about yourself. Have you not clicked on a stranger's link to social media/personal site and then changed your opinion on that person for better or worse? I have. It's only human.

I'm just being practical. I don't have much to hide, but I also don't want to have a list of the 30 specs I wrote and the 28 that did nothing for me for everyone to see. That's me.

I'm older now, but when I query they don't know if I'm 22 or 52. They don't know if I'm fat or handsome. Man or women sometimes. Or if I've been repped 3 times before. Keep them guessing so they only judge the work in front of them is my mantra.
        This is my strategy also. I don't have a web presence at all.

I'm in the middle of finalizing my query strategy on the novel I've finished up. I have my list of agents, and different amounts of material to send in a query depending on what they want. (Some want logline + first three chapters, others want first ten pages, others just want a one page summary, etc.) I don't want those agents doing an internet search on me, taking a look at other pieces of my writing and then rejecting me based on that.

I'd rather they just focus on what I send them. But that's me, and I have a very specific strategy.

Comment

A novel -- nice! A YA? I'm jealous as I'm still 20K into my unfiinished one. Good work.

Comment

Originally posted by Vango View Post
            Sure, your material is secure as a whole, but someone can still take your idea legally and write their own story.
            Someone can do this with any idea. Including something written by John August. Your copyright protection is as strong as his.

Those guys feel safe because their work has already been pitched out to the industry prior to them putting it online. For an unknown writer to post their work online is dangerous, in my opinion. Scripts aren't usually stolen as you know but if you understand how SEO works, you know that your personal website will never receive any traffic at all except from people who google your name.
            One, they've always felt safe. Keep good records and register your work. It's as simple as that.

Two, why is it dangerous? Do you think you have better ideas than John August and other top writers? If you do, you work will rise to the top and it will get notice, just as theirs did.

Three, my site isn't there to get traffic. It's there so that if someone is interested in my work they can go to a place unbothered and see what I do.

If you have something interesting when you send a query letter people will google your name, check out your social media and look at your website.They want an idea of who you are (which is important to them) before they reach out and talk to you.

I speak from experience. This has happened to me several times. And I'm as big a nobody as anyone else. Exposure is what gets your work attention, not hiding it.

Companies spend thousands of dollars a month on SEO to ensure that they're at the top of google when say you type in "diverse screenwriters in LA."

With that said, people going to your site will only be people who already know about you. Maybe through linkedin, or one of the other sites you named, or you handed them a business card, etc. To add to that, if they know about you through those areas, they also probably have your email, or can find it easily on your site if you just have a landing page. They're obviously intrigued enough to research you, so sending a 25 sec email is not a big deal. They'll reach out and ask for your work.
            We disagree in the value of a personal website.

I don't believe people will just "reach out to you," they want to know who you are first. Relationships are very important. If they don't like what they see on Twitter, guess what? Having your email is worthless. I prefer to have something specifically for my writing. One day, hopefully, someone will say, "I have a writer for you, here's her website." It isn't about trying to DRAW TRAFFIC. It's about representation on my terms.

That's why you usually see a lot of artists that just have landing pages for contact info/rep info. Quick bio snip mostly, maybe some awards won. I'm not saying to be super secretive with your work, but would your manager advocate you posting your work all over the internet? Maybe that's a good question to ask them.
            I'm not really sure what your argument/criticism is here. What do you care if a writer has a landing page or a site that details what they do and what they've done? If it helps, it helps.

I don't put anything on my site that I don't have copyright protection. For example, I won't place a logline on the site until I have a first draft. Then I register it.

As far as a manager is concerned, he can benefit from the site as well. I certainly don't feel the need to seek my manager's approval on what I put on my personal site.

With consulting, I meant to say that if you're a screenplay consultant, you'll want more content on your site like a blog, tips on what makes a great script, maybe some samples of coverage you did, etc. That now becomes a business, so you're selling your services.
            Yeah, I'm kind of of the opinion that a writer should do whatever THEY feel with help their writing advance.

But since you brought it up, a screenwriter is in the business of SELLING their ability to write SCREENPLAYS. They are FOR HIRE. Your screenplays are a sample of your ability. I don't have my actual scripts on my website, for my own reasons, but if another writer feels they should, who am I to judge?

So how's that any different than being a consultant? They are both services, are they not? Your (our) scripts are far less likely to get made than THEIR (producers/studios/networks) ideas. Eighty percent of the writing jobs are assignments and rewriting other writers.

Do you see my point?
            Hope that clarifies my previous thoughts and concerns.
            Mine as well. I hope I have put your mind somewhat at ease. In the end, do what you feel is right for you.
            FA4
            "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
              A novel -- nice! A YA? I'm jealous as I'm still 20K into my unfiinished one. Good work.
              Were you talking to me?

My novel is crime/thriller thing set in Austin. 99k words. I'm a woman but I wrote it in the first person as a man. We'll see how that goes over.

Comment

Originally posted by lostfootage View Post
                Were you talking to me?

My novel is crime/thriller thing set in Austin. 99k words. I'm a woman but I wrote it in the first person as a man. We'll see how that goes over.
                It doesn't matter if you're a man writing a woman or a woman writing a man. We're all human.

I'm sure you'll rock it!

How many pages does 99k words equate to?
                "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                  It doesn't matter if you're a man writing a woman or a woman writing a man. We're all human.

I'm sure you'll rock it!

How many pages does 99k words equate to?
                  Thank you. It's about 375 pages. The first draft was 120k words, and I've slimmed it down.

Comment

Back to the topic at hand...

If you're a screenwriter trying to break in, what are you using a portfolio site for? Are you hosting your scripts on the site? Or just loglines/accomplishments? I'm genuinely curious, since I'm at a loss as to what you really gain outside of having something that allows people to get to know you (which, as Bono correctly pointed out, could prompt someone to say, "Nah, forget it.")

I think the exposure argument actually works against the writer. The last thing a rep wants is for a new writer to give them a piece of material that's already been exposed. And putting stuff out there on a site, even if it's password protected, is "exposing" it to the world. Nothing excites a rep more about a new client than hitting the town with a fresh piece of material no one has read. I think putting a script on a random site for anyone to read would diminish that excitement.

To me, portfolio sites are good for freelance writers or script consultants looking to drum up work. Pro screenwriters are typically helping new writers (like John or Javier), or promoting something outside of their screenwriting (in John's case the podcast or Highland). I honestly don't understand the point for people who are merely looking to break in.

FWIW

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
                      Back to the topic at hand...

If you're a screenwriter trying to break in, what are you using a portfolio site for? Are you hosting your scripts on the site? Or just loglines/accomplishments? I'm genuinely curious, since I'm at a loss as to what you really gain outside of having something that allows people to get to know you (which, as Bono correctly pointed out, could prompt someone to say, "Nah, forget it.")
                      You have a manager. Bono has a manager. You have a team who puts your name and your work in front of industry people. You have the benefit of not having to consider whether you should or shouldn't have a website.

Most of us don't have that advantage.

It could just as easily have the opposite result-- an indy pro appreciates your writing and voice, but not a specific script, they go to your site and find another one they do connect with.

If that rep or producer loves the script, they're going to call that writer. Period.

I think the exposure argument actually works against the writer. The last thing a rep wants is for a new writer to give them a piece of material that's already been exposed. And putting stuff out there on a site, even if it's password protected, is "exposing" it to the world. Nothing excites a rep more about a new client than hitting the town with a fresh piece of material no one has read. I think putting a script on a random site for anyone to read would diminish that excitement.
                      The only way ANYONE finds a writer's personal site is, because somehow they have come in contact with you, your name, your personal business card, or your query letter sends them to your site.

The bolded part above, MIGHT be true IF a writer was previously repped, and their work was previously sent out to the industry.

But someone who has yet to break in?

There is no "exposing it to the world." Literally, NO ONE comes across a personal website UNLESS you are looking for that person. It isn't designed to draw traffic. It's designed to allow a person to get to know a little something about you as a writer, without the encumbrances of personal contact.

To me, portfolio sites are good for freelance writers or script consultants looking to drum up work. Pro screenwriters are typically helping new writers (like John or Javier), or promoting something outside of their screenwriting (in John's case the podcast or Highland). I honestly don't understand the point for people who are merely looking to break in.

FWIW
                      It's no different than hosting scripts on The Black List. Who does that? Primarily writers without representation.

Or entering contests. Who does that? Primarily writers without representation. Without exposure.

A personal website isn't going to burn a writer that hasn't broken in, because the only people going to the site are people you've sent there.

Then again, what do I know, I could be totally wrong.

Comment

I'm going to slightly split the difference here, since I think “both sides” of the discussion are presenting more than fair enough & valid points.

So to anyone thinking about doing a site, I’d say, first, you're an adult. You want a site? Create a site. If you have the money and you have the time, then do it if it makes you feel better, and I don't say that to be patronizing. Not to go extremely dark & depressing or discouraging, but considering the odds of making it are so low, it probably isn’t going to change much one way or the other at the end of the day.

That said, I will note a few things I've run into over the years. Out of all the hundreds upon hundreds of queries I've seen -- thousands in all -- from more recent times and that included a link to a site, I don't recall ever being particularly impressed by any of them or caring. And I'm pretty sure it’s safe to say, that's a feeling from many folks in this town have. (FA4 has a enough looking site, for example.)

For the record though, all I ever care about is the title, logline and possibly brief description I've been sent in terms of whether I request script or not. Then ultimately, it's all about the script.

Of the writer sites I have seen, the vast majority of them register only as, "Oh, they have a site." But some have truly worked against the writer for different reasons. Those sites just make me shake my head. Their writing matches, sadly.

If you are going to make a site, I'd suggest keeping it fairly simple. A short bio and way to contact you -- either via a rep or a "personal business" e-mail or phone. Do be careful about bots scrapping sites, collecting contact info, then sending e-mail spam or calling you. If you can, create an email for your site only and use it via a form; and also get a Google number or a second number/phone. I'd suggest those things to err on the side of caution. Up to you. But Hollywood isn’t searching to find your site or your scripts, of course, as duly noted by some already in this thread. They have enough avenues already to find scripts -- too many at this point.

Not to be catty, but you are better off not having a site, than having one that looks bad. Keep it clean, simple & “current feeling,” especially in terms of look and any software/technology behind it. Maybe put a little something on it to give a sense of who you are as writer. If you are funny, have a little funny quip or self-effacing funny comment or funny quote you love, for example. If you write horror and/or thrillers, then lean on that in some fashion to help sell your brand. (You can branch out later, if you want.) Maybe provide a few page samples for whatever you do as well, if you want to give folks a taste. I'm not a big supporter of putting up entire scripts. Your call, of course.

From what I've seen of late, I'd suggest as much as anything creating a Twitter account. Put a decent photo of you up or if you are worried about your appearance and/or privacy, a fun profile image and a cool header image that's "you." Tons and tons of writers, reps, filmmakers, etc. use Twitter without question, of course. And obviously Twitter has played a big part for writers of late with the WGA & ATA issues, networking, finding work, writers branding themselves to some degree and so on. Following pro writers, reps, etc. could be helpful for many in terms of learning more about the business. Occasionally offering up some interesting insights or fun posts, etc. will probably go further than anything else. Don't force it. But I think a Twitter presence will give you more mileage than a site. Great scripts work best for all.

But again, if you want a site, make one or have one made. Just please keep it simple & “classy” or get a nice one made that looks “modern” & today, in some fashion. I wouldn’t suggest listing of your available stuff, but that’s up to you. I note this because about anytime I see a site with all kinds of “available” scripts from an un-established writer, that raises flags immediately.
                        Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 08-11-2020, 07:13 PM. Reason: Clarification
                        Will
                        Done Deal Pro
                        www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Originally posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
                          I'm going to slightly split the difference here, since I think "both sides- of the discussion are presenting more than fair enough & valid points.

So to anyone thinking about doing a site, I'd say, first, you're an adult. You want a site? Create a site. If you have the money and you have the time, then do it if it makes you feel better, and I don't say that to be patronizing. Not to go extremely dark & depressing or discouraging, but considering the odds of making it are so low, it probably isn't going to change much one way or the other at the end of the day.

That said, I will note a few things I've run into over the years. Out of all the hundreds upon hundreds of queries I've seen -- thousands in all -- from more recent times and that included a link to a site, I don't recall ever being particularly impressed by any of them or caring. And I'm pretty sure it's safe to say, that's a feeling from many folks in this town have. (FA4 has a enough looking site, for example.)

For the record though, all I ever care about is the title, logline and possibly brief description I've been sent in terms of whether I request script or not. Then ultimately, it's all about the script.

Of the writer sites I have seen, the vast majority of them register only as, "Oh, they have a site." But some have truly worked against the writer for different reasons. Those sites just make me shake my head. Their writing matches, sadly.

If you are going to make a site, I'd suggest keeping it fairly simple. A short bio and way to contact you -- either via a rep or a "personal business" e-mail or phone. Do be careful about bots scrapping sites, collecting contact info, then sending e-mail spam or calling you. If you can, create an email for your site only and use it via a form; and also get a Google number or a second number/phone. I'd suggest those things to err on the side of caution. Up to you. But Hollywood isn't searching to find your site or your scripts, of course, as duly noted by some already in this thread. They have enough avenues already to find scripts -- too many at this point.

Not to be catty, but you are better off not having a site, than having one that looks bad. Keep it clean, simple & "current feeling,- especially in terms of look and any software/technology behind it. Maybe put a little something on it to give a sense of who you are as writer. If you are funny, have a little funny quip or self-effacing funny comment or funny quote you love, for example. If you write horror and/or thrillers, then lean on that in some fashion to help sell your brand. (You can branch out later, if you want.) Maybe provide a few page samples for whatever you do as well, if you want to give folks a taste. I'm not a big supporter of putting up entire scripts. Your call, of course.

From what I've seen of late, I'd suggest as much as anything creating a Twitter account. Put a decent photo of you up or if you are worried about your appearance and/or privacy, a fun profile image and a cool header image that's "you." Tons and tons of writers, reps, filmmakers, etc. use Twitter without question, of course. And obviously Twitter has played a big part for writers of late with the WGA & ATA issues, networking, finding work, writers branding themselves to some degree and so on. Following pro writers, reps, etc. could be helpful for many in terms of learning more about the business. Occasionally offering up some interesting insights or fun posts, etc. will probably go further than anything else. Don't force it. But I think a Twitter presence will give you more mileage than a site. Great scripts work best for all.

But again, if you want a site, make one or have one made. Just please keep it simple & "classy- or get a nice one made that looks "modern- & today, in some fashion. I wouldn't suggest listing of your available stuff, but that's up to you. I note this because about anytime I see a site with all kinds of "available- scripts from an un-established writer, that raises flags immediately.
                          Good stuff Will. Any site that you've seen and can recommend as a good example?

At the beginning of this thread I was leaning towards a personal site being a modern way for a screenwriter to have an online presence, but it's tough to disagree with your and Bono's points.

I suppose if I do decide to do it, I'd only put up short stories/novel extracts, and not screenplays.

Comment

Originally posted by Anagram View Post
                            Good stuff Will. Any site that you’ve seen and can recommend as a good example?

At the beginning of this thread I was leaning towards a personal site being a modern way for a screenwriter to have an online presence, but it’s tough to disagree with your and Bono’s points.

I suppose if I do decide to do it, I’d only put up short stories/novel extracts, and not screenplays.
                            I've never saved or bookmarked any screenwriters' sites, so I'll have to start from scratch. I will see what I can dig up to try to help. Give me a day or two.

Again, if you or anyone wants a site, create one. It's not going to sink your career if you have something relatively simple and "safe" up there. Plus, you can buy & own a URL that's your name. Not a bad thing to do, since who knows what the future will bring.

In terms of what to offer, your call too, of course. I would generally suggest steering away from entire scripts unless you are a pro who is trying to teach screenwriters & share, but do what "you" want. In your case, maybe some sample selections from your short stories or novels could be nice. Authors still to prove to be attractive to Hollywood, especially when their books are strong and have or will look to have a good following and fan base.

Maybe one thing to consider is this... Sit behind their desk for a moment. You click on a link and go to a site. What's gong to make you respect, like, be interested in and want to work with someone? I think we've all seen sites that are impressive and we've all seen sites that are "depressive." I know this isn't always easy to do, but think about it as objectively as possible, and as with writing, less can be more. It doesn't quite have to be a "cold" as name, rank and serial number, but it doesn't have to be super elaborate with tons of pictures, a 100 scripts to download, 200 loglines, tons of text, etc.
                            Will
                            Done Deal Pro
                            www.donedealpro.com

Comment

This is my example of a bad screenwriting website look wise to me.

http://maddox.xmission.com/irule2_.html

Actual link is to something I think I found on Internet over 15 years ago and probably went viral back then.... So imagine all the kids drawings are screenplays with pics and loglines next to them. I didn't want to use a real writer's website as that seems cruel.

And to me this is what a writer should use website for when they have stuff to sell directly like books or tour dates

http://www.amedyckman.com/

That's why it's so hard for screenwriters to me as it's just a list of stuff that didn't sell and that's sort of depressing overall.

http://www.michaelianblack.org/

He's been famous for over 20 years, but simple website to sell his sh%t.

Comment

Here's my professional website. http://www.angelfire.com/mt/marksomers/ The thing is when I first put together a site in the 90's it was novel and I got a lot of retail work aaaaand my first site was a piece of crap compared with what I have now. And what I have now is more a portfolio of my work than an online jewelry store. I get way more work from retail stores now and some retail. As a side note. If you want custom jewelry work it's guys like me who actually do the work not the fancy jewelry store you visited. Although, I have worked in some fancy stores that also had really nice shops.

As far as getting a 'yourname.com' in my case that doesn't work anymore MarkSomers.com hasn't been available for at least fifteen years the name Mark Somers is like John Smith. Way too many of them.

I like finalact4's site because of the ambience. Unfortunately finalact misspelled her site on the first page of this thread it should be http://lisamolusis.com/ not http://lisa.molusis.com/ with a period between lisa and molusis.
                                TRIAL FORUMS

Comment

Working...
                                X