Thread: Final Draft 10
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2019, 01:05 AM   #6
ComicBent

Default Re: Final Draft 10

You are doing the right thing in thinking about transitioning over to Fade In. You will not be disappointed. Also, if you have any lingering doubt about using Fade In because it might not be "professional", just look at the Fade In website and see some of the people who are using Fade In.

I have traded files back and forth with people who were die-hard users of Final Draft. I imported their Final Draft files, worked on them in Fade In, and then converted them back to Final Draft. This is almost never a problem. Very rarely a Final Draft user will have some kind of crazy, nonstandard formatting in his script, and Fade In may hiccup over it (or maybe the Final Draft user had tagged a paragraph with the wrong element who knows?).

You talked about emailing yourself a copy of your script. That is a clever way to make backups that are out of the reach of Final Draft. (By the way, after years of dealing with people who had suffered the same disaster that you did, I have never heard any explanation for WHY this problem occurs in Final Draft every once in a while.) But you will not have that problem with Fade In.

Also, since you can trust Fade In, let me make another suggestion, and you may be doing this already. Get a Dropbox account and use it to back up your really important files. You can get 2G of storage space for free. All you have to do is install the program onto your computer. It will create a folder under your user name, called Dropbox, and it functions like any other folder, except that when you are online your computer will communicate with Dropbox "in the cloud" and send a copy of your file to the cloud when you save it to your computer. I apologize if you know all of this already.

The free 2G of space is plenty if you are only using Dropbox for your important data files that change frequently. You use your Dropbox folder on your computer to save your files, just as you normally do with another folder. The program, when you install it, may offer you the option to store everything ONLY in the cloud and not have redundant copies on your computer. I recommend against using that option. Store on your computer and also in the cloud.

I think that with Dropbox you can safely stop the practice of sending email copies of files to yourself. I have never known Fade In to wreck anyone's file, and if the current file version got corrupted somehow, Dropbox keeps an older version for 30 days (according to online information).

My own practice: I used the free 2G account for a few years, and it was really enough for data files that changed a lot. Then I decided to use Dropbox for storage of just about everything, so that I would not have to work with backing up and syncing between various computers. So I subscribed to the cheapest paid account, which gives me 1T (equals 1000G) for a very reasonable yearly fee. In addition, I have Carbonite, which I use (automatically once daily) to back up everything that has changed on my computer. Carbonite only backs up data files and graphics, no program files. It even backs up the graphics and data files in the Dropbox folder. The fee for Carbonite is also very reasonable. A little over a year ago I had to use Dropbox and Carbonite to retrieve files after my older desktop computer went into agonal respirations and was clearly going to die at any moment.

Anyway, switch to Fade In!

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." ComicBent.
ComicBent is offline   Reply With Quote