• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What y'all speccin? (Besides pilots.)

http://www.tv-calling.com/drama-spec...d-what-is-not/

http://www.tv-calling.com/comedy-spe...d-what-is-not/
    If you really like it you can have the rights
    It could make a million for you overnight

Re: What y'all speccin? (Besides pilots.)

Yay, the updates are in!

I'm wandering betwixt Castle and The Good Wife.

Have a funny one for Castle and an 'oh, no she didn't' for TGW.

Just for Disney and WOTV.

Not sure which spec yet.
    I'm always right.

Comment

I'm catching up on Castle, figured it would be a good one to spec for. Lots of ideas there!
      Vancouver Screenwriters Meetup Group

Comment

Working on a JUSTIFIED. Maybe an ARCHER next (thank you FX!)

I understand the CASTLE love, but not sure how many seasons that show has left. MENTALIST will likely be around longer.

Comment

Originally posted by killertv View Post
          Working on a JUSTIFIED. Maybe an ARCHER next (thank you FX!)

I understand the CASTLE love, but not sure how many seasons that show has left. MENTALIST will likely be around longer.
          Love me some Justified and Archer, but they're two different kettles of fish. Which is your primary writing style?

Re: Castle, it's got at least five seasons in it, and they're in season three. The Mentalist is heavily specced, but not as well written as Castle, IMHO.
          I'm always right.

Comment

Originally posted by Chakala View Post
            Love me some Justified and Archer, but they're two different kettles of fish. Which is your primary writing style?

Re: Castle, it's got at least five seasons in it, and they're in season three. The Mentalist is heavily specced, but not as well written as Castle, IMHO.
            I'm primarily comedy but want a drama spec in the portfolio. Castle would probably be more my style given its tone, but Justified is my favorite show on TV so can't argue with that. Don't have an animation sample so Archer could be good. Was thinking of doing a Burn Notice as I've heard that's liked by some program readers and may do that instead of Archer.

I hadn't heard Mentalist was heavily done (again, comedy...). I just had a friend spec it and he's about the first person I know out here who has. The website linked by the OP has Castle as a "four star" choice and Mentalist a five so I think either is a strong choice.

Would you do your Good Wife next? Heard that's a good sample

Comment

No mention of Supernatural, is it just that far off the radar to not even bother with?

Comment

And a nice reference of what's to come:

http://specials.msn.com/A-List/TV/Fa...2&imageindex=1

Comment

Originally posted by Slappynipsy View Post
                  No mention of Supernatural, is it just that far off the radar to not even bother with?
                  Yes.
                  "I dub thee: Sir Non Sequitur." - sc111

Comment

I'm taking a gamble and speccing Men Of A Certain Age. It's a well written show and the ratings are good for a cable show. Ray Ramano helps with visibility....well that's what I'm hoping.

Comment

Finishing a Good Wife, then doing Justified and will pick between the stronger of the two when fellowship deadlines roll around.

Justified seems like it'll be around for another year or two at least. Nervous for Good Wife though, wish CBS would give it that renewal already!

-O

Comment

Ken Levine called it the best written show on television. He's not alone in that appraisal. CBS would have to be crazy to get rid of a show with that kind of critical buzz and high ratings (even if it's only watched by unsexy grownups ).

I'm getting ready to spec a Rules of Engagement. I like it as a multicamera sample, good, middle of the road, not overdone. Some people would say, too bland, not cutting edge. I've noticed some nice subtle writing within the confines of the couples sitcom formula. It will be 72 episodes in by the summer, still fresh enough, I'm thinking.

Parks and Rec, Cleveland Show, Outsourced, Bored to Death - these are shows I'm considering as well.

Sheldon Bull thinks, or thought, highly of Mike and Molly for a multicamera. I haven't really followed the show, but it looks like a keeper.

Comment

Odo, I think Rules is a good choice to spec because it still maintains solid numbers even after the Thursday time-slot change. I find it and The Big Bang Theory two of the best multicams on TV. Mike and Molly has its moments and should be a solid choice, too.

Cleveland or Bob's Burgers (which just got a 2nd season order) might do well for animation.
                          I'm always right.

Comment

Originally posted by Owen_Thinks View Post
                            Finishing a Good Wife, then doing Justified and will pick between the stronger of the two when fellowship deadlines roll around.

Justified seems like it'll be around for another year or two at least. Nervous for Good Wife though, wish CBS would give it that renewal already!

-O
                            Get them both super tight, get a pen name and P.O. Box, then double submit to any contests left.

Gotta work those angles, baby!
                            I'm always right.

Comment

Originally posted by Chakala View Post
                              Odo, I think Rules is a good choice to spec because it still maintains solid numbers even after the Thursday time-slot change. I find it and The Big Bang Theory two of the best multicams on TV. Mike and Molly has its moments and should be a solid choice, too.

Cleveland or Bob's Burgers (which just got a 2nd season order) might do well for animation.
                              2nd season order. Good to know.

Comment

Working...
                              X