What's the best route to a star attachment?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's the best route to a star attachment?

I'm curious to hear/see DDer thoughts on which route they feel is the best strategy to get a script to a star
    Strong director and/or
    Strong producer and/or
    Cash offer
    Blog: http://writinglounge.blogspot.com
    Email: kidcharlemagne108[at]yahoo[dot]co[uk]

"What is your greatest ambition? To become immortal and then die." - Breathless

Comment

Is it harder to attach talent when the script is an ensemble piece?
      "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

I think in theory it is...sure. I have an ensemble crime drama and one question I get all the time is "who's the star?" In my view there are multiple "star" parts but my view and $1.75 will get me on the bus out here, if ya know what I'm sayin'.

It's hard to attach talent period to a naked script with no financing.

I'd really shoot for reps and quality producers appropriate for the material. These are the guys with established relationships able attach a good director (vital when going after talent) who will help them get "no money" talent reads and that will hopefully result in meaningful attachments that can lead to financing and a true path to production.
        "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Actors charge money to read something?
          Preposterous! Why doesn't their agent read it and make a recommendation? These people need a reality check - all these insane amounts of cash is making them totally unreasonable.
          Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Originally posted by Charisma View Post
            Hi hdmdC,

Yeah---- First Black Starting QB in NFL history. Hmmmm. Thought I'd get a nice name for some juice--- ya only get one shot
            at the target with each company. Hmmmmm.

Thanks for the insight and suggestion. Hmmmm.
            -----------------------------------------------------------------

Orley Anderson is the company that does the ESPN films. Pitch it to them.

Honestly tho the whole first black thing has been done to death and after the express bombed--despite being a solid film--which a much better hook than Gilliam i.e. 1st black heisman winner/brian song angle-- I wouldnt hold my breath on it getting produced.

It's a very tired genre and the guys personal story doesnt stack up to the ones of recent theme lately.

I mean Gilliam started a handful of games, was out of the league the next year and the guy who took his starting job went on to win 4 superbowls in the next 6 years as gilliam fell into addiction and never played in the NFL again. Not really that hi of a hi and no third act moment of triumph. Downer really.

Not all that inspiring stuff--unless youre going for the failed potential tragedy play.

However, if you get it to companies who produce sports films n bios, maybe they'll like your writing enough to consider you for assignment work.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandmaster View Post
              Actors charge money to read something?
              Preposterous! Why doesn't their agent read it and make a recommendation? These people need a reality check - all these insane amounts of cash is making them totally unreasonable.
              They don't charge money for the read but typically the film needs to be at least partially (if not fully) financed with a money offer for them to star in the production on the table pending their read and approval.
              "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Working...
              X