Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you ever cry when you write?

hahaha I know that sounds ludicrous, (and I know that this is going to get a thousand joke responses about crying) but i'm serious, to a small degree.

Okay I don't cry as such, but I get really 'worked up' and in the zone when i'm writing the first draft. Not when I'm going through stuff correcting it, but when I am full-on writing the scenes for the first time.

It's like the emotion of the scene is channeled through me. And when I'm writing in public I am sure that I must look like an absolute weirdo at the faces i'm probably pulling or my general posture.

But I literally have aching muscles after writing, in my back and neck because it's almost like i'm experience the physicality of my characters. This may not be the case if I was writing a romantic comedy but I have just completed a contianed thriller where the character is going through hell and back.

And any scenes where the character is in physical pain and emotional pain/stress I almost experience it and although I don't cry my eyes do sorta swell up.

I walk a way from a few hours of writing with serious aching all over my body.

(yes i know I need to see a phychiatrist or something, but I just feel the scenes so much).

Anyone else experience this or something similar?
    Last edited by fanatic_about_film; 04-11-2011, 02:56 AM.

Re: Do you ever cry when you write?

I cry every time I hide in the bathroom just so I can devour 20 Krispy Kremes in private.

I know what you mean. You bring yourself to an emotional mindset when writing those hard-hitting scenes in your story. Personally I think you want that. When you read back and it still hits you hard, you know you're nailing it like a cheap hooker in a motel. You just hope the reader feels the same way when they read it.

Comment

I only cry during sex. Which explains why I haven't cried in almost ten years.

HH

Comment

It happened when I write my first death scene -- one that wasn't a head-exploding action set piece, that is. I was killing off one of my babies (almost literally a baby) and I wrote all around the scene till (I still clearly remember this) one Saturday morning when I plunked myself down and finally tackled the "dirty job".

It was really something; to have that level of passion, as opposed to some clinical detachment. My first experience like this, in my writing.

When one of my first readers told me it affected him similarly, I figured I was onto something! Start polishing my Oscar! But then a subsequent reader said it didn't work for her. Hmmph.

Anyway, only after about 25 edits and re-reads did I manage to get through that scene without at least "fast blinking".

Comment

Do you ever cry when you write?

No.

Comment

I admit - I do. I always try to dive very deep into the mind of my characters, what makes it easier then to write them. Subsequently I hate it when I have to kill one of my characters, especially the protag.

Comment

I never thought I'd ever see a thread titled so fvcking awesomely.

Never.

Comment

Sometimes I sob uncontrollably when I read all my rejection letters. Then the Starbucks employees ask me to leave.
                Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

I did when I wrote my first screenplay. I killed off one of my main characters. I bawled like a baby writing it -- bleh. It was a drama.

Now I write thrillers so no reason to cry other than being frustrated from sucking it up.
                  Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

I enjoy the misery of others so I just smile when I've written something depressing.

Comment

Yes.

I often tell people that when I'm writing scenes, it's like I'm in the the room watching the characters act.

If the scene is really sad, how could I not shed a few tears?

What's scary?... when I tell a reader that I don't remember certain characters doing and saying certain things...

Even though, I was alone in a room and I wrote it myself.

Jeff Shurtleff
                      "Some men see things the way they are and say why? I see things that never were and say, why not?"

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...4669871&v=info

Comment

What's scary?... when I tell a reader that I don't remember certain characters doing and saying certain things...

Ha ha this made me laugh, especially the smilie shocked face you have at the end.

But I don't understand, why can't you remember your characters doing or saying certain things? That's just weird.

Comment

I've never cried writing. Maybe that's the problem.
                          "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
                          -Maya Angelou

Comment

Originally posted by fanatic_about_film View Post

Ha ha this made me laugh, especially the smilie shocked face you have at the end.

But I don't understand, why can't you remember your characters doing or saying certain things? That's just weird.
                            As I have said, I'm a big fan of the movies THE DARK HALF and SECRET WINDOW.

Both based on Stephen King stories.

If you see those... what I said will make sense.

To add, watch SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION... that will also clarify things.

Jeff Shurtleff
                            "Some men see things the way they are and say why? I see things that never were and say, why not?"

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...4669871&v=info

Comment

No. I don't cry when I write something sad, nor do I jerk off when I write something sexy. I enjoy writing, but I guess I'm just not as empathetic as some of you.

Not judging, but I was very surprised by the number that replied "yes".
                              Looking to take the "Bono" off my screenname.

Comment

Working...
                              X