Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Romantic Dramas

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone could help me. I'm planning a romantic drama but have run into a problem concerning character types.

My story is simple, it's about a boy trying to win the heart of a girl. However, there are two characters I can't seem to fit in - the antagonist and the stakes character.

The reason I'm having a hard time with the antagonist is because there seems to be no place for one in the story I'm trying to tell. It's simply a love story with no villain in sight.

And the reason I'm having a problem with the stakes character is because that's normally the romantic interest who is part of the "B" storyline. But like I said, I'm writing a romantic drama so there is no need for a second romantic subplot.

So I guess my question is, do I need to include an antagonist and stakes character for the sake of it? Or can I go without?

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Re: Romantic Dramas

Usually the antagonist in a romance would be another suitor trying to win the heart of the same girl. What would heighten the stakes is that the other suitor would have advantages (wealth, a better occupation) that the protagonist would have to overcome.
    STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

What antagonistic forces (not the same as an antagonist who's consciously trying to break them up) keep them apart and how do they overcome this?

Maybe look to old songs for drama sources.

Do they gotta say goodbye for the summer?

Does his boss say no dice son, you gotta work late?

Does a big limousine pull out of her drive (and disappear)?

Are there still too many places he's gotta see?

Does her family or her studies take her away from him?

Comment

See this is when terms can make you want to go crazy. I don't know what you mean by stakes character -- I do know what stakes in the story are. Is that what you mean?

I don't know if you're writing a romantic drama or a romantic comedy?

Are you writing Romeo and Juliet where it's them trying to be in love while the world falls down around them? Or is is it more Pretty Women?

For instance the antagonist is most romantic comedies is the couple can't seem to fall in love because their ex boyfriend is in the way or the girl won't see how good the guy is or vice versa. Or in Pretty Woman, she's a hired hooker and that's isn't even a thought until it is... but they come from different worlds... how can it work out... so class and how they met is the antagonist...

Not ever movie needs a Hans Gruber. But man is he good.

Comment

Thank you for the help guys, much appreciated.

Comment

Just to clear up what I meant by stakes character, I got it from this article https://creativescreenwriting.com/theme/

Comment

I think you should use some books, read more articles, ask friends, ask people here -- but don't feel that CS article is the template 101 to writing your romantic drama.

In fact, I don't think it's a very good article at all or makes any sense. Trinity is not some b plot character, she's literally the 2nd lead of the movie... the first person we see right? And she doesn't know he is The One until the end, so that's some bullshit, in fact, she has to learn to love him... it was actually Morpheus who would be the "stakes character" but again that is just a term that I haven't heard that isn't helping you write the story at all. It's driving me mad just thinking about it.

You know what a story is. What you're story is. You are probably doing these things w/o realizing it.

Comment

^ thank you for your help.

Comment

Working...
                X