Q for those who have used The Blacklist...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q for those who have used The Blacklist...

I've decided to post some old scripts of mine on the Blacklist website. But... question for those who have used The Blacklist before:

Have you found that ponying up the $75+ for a review or two is helpful in any way (that is, assuming the score is good) as far as getting exposure/downloads?

I've now paid to have my scripts posted on the site, but I'm very on the fence about paying for the reviews, given how subjective it all is and how much of it would just come down to "the luck of the draw" as far as which reader my script goes to.

Any advice or sharing of experiences would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Re: Q for those who have used The Blacklist...

Originally posted by grumpywriter View Post
    I've decided to post some old scripts of mine on the Blacklist website. But... question for those who have used The Blacklist before:

Have you found that ponying up the $75+ for a review or two is helpful in any way (that is, assuming the score is good) as far as getting exposure/downloads?

I've now paid to have my scripts posted on the site, but I'm very on the fence about paying for the reviews, given how subjective it all is and how much of it would just come down to "the luck of the draw" as far as which reader my script goes to.

Thanks
    i don't think you get on any of the featured lists (scripts of the week email, or featured scripts for best reviewed on the front page) without scores above a certain level. and 2 paid reviews is the best way to get scores.

my pilot got 7s and was featured on the front page. got a producer meeting from it. YMMV.

Comment

My (detailed) thoughts:

--
      It doesn't make sense hosting a script on the site without buying a review. Many people on here who've tried that said they heard radio silence. Pros come to the site for the cream of the crop, and they'll only be able to determine that if a script has a score. While it's advisable to get a review, realize that only around 5% of people get an 8 or above score on the site. And unless you get an 8 or above, your script is pretty much dead in the water. Does BL have stats indicating lower-ranked scripts get downloads? Sure. But I've read too many testimonials on here from people who saw no traction whatsoever after getting a 7 or below. And I trust word of mouth more than data offered up by a business that has an interest in protecting itself.

--$75 is a steep price considering the low percentage of people that gain traction on the site. That said, I'm willing to pay it because BL offers a number of (largely convenience-related) advantages: you get feedback in a short time period, about two weeks (though lately the turnaround has seemed a bit longer); you can use it whenever you want, unlike a contest which has deadlines; and unlike a contest, you are not competing with other people for a slot -- you can get recognized if you're good enough.

--If you are going to buy an evaluation, it makes sense to buy at least two for two reasons. One, reviews are subjective like you said, so it's necessary to get more than one opinion (I once paid for two reviews and got a 3 followed by an 8. Imagine if I had just bought one review). Two, you need two evals to get on the Top Lists, which offers more exposure (and the more exposure on the site you can get, the better). Despite my recommendation, I honestly would not buy more than two evals if neither turn up as an 8 or above. After that point, you're pretty much just throwing money away. If you do get an 8, you'll get free eval offers anyway.

--As for your main question, the impact of good scores on exposure downloads. I've had three scripts rated an "8" on the site, and they garnered 4, 10, and 15 downloads. So Pros will definitely download if you're in the weekly e-mail (unless your logline really sucks). As for anything beyond that, that's out of your (and the BL's) control. People have gotten a few downloads and gotten contacted by all the pros behind them. In contrast, others have gotten numerous downloads and not heard a peep.

The TL;DR version: If you get an 8 or above, you will likely get at least a few downloads, which is a much more guaranteed read than through a querying campaign. Just don't expect to necessarily have a bunch of pros reaching out to you after you get those downloads, because it all depends.
      "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Thanks, Joe and UpandComing. Very helpful. Looks like I will have to plunk down the $$$ and pray

Comment

It was worth every penny and more.

1) I got feedback on my writing - which was vital as I was on the verge of quitting.
          2) More than that, the scores and comments kicked down doors that were previously locked. My querying went from 96% rejection to 96% acceptance.
          M.A.G.A.

Comment

I've posted this before, but:
            My first script on the BL got a 9 and helped land me a manager for a while.
            My latest, after some revisions, got an 8, giving me two free evals, which of course, I took advantage of. The first of these gave me a 4, and suddenly, all the downloads I was getting for about 10 days dried up. Even though the second free eval was a 7 (with even higher praise for the script than the 8) it wasn't enough to keep me on the top lists, and I got no further downloads, despite this script being a QF for Nicholl and Austin this year.
            So, while one very good score can raise your profile, one very bad score can sink it.

Comment

Thanks
              Regardless of subjectivity, I don't think having it hosted alone is very helpful as you blend in with the thousands of other scripts. It's the evaluations that get the ball rolling. It's possible a reader will happen to stumble upon your script and rate it, but likely you'll have to pay for the first 1-2 reviews. If you score high enough, it becomes a snowball effect of free evaluations and ultimately more exposure.
              Last edited by nguyensquared; 03-23-2018, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X