No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ad Astra

I really liked this.

Not sure what to make of the discrepancy between the positive critical reviews on RT and the "viewer" ratings, but I can see where if one were expecting an action/thriller type movie they'd be thrown for a loop.
    Last edited by figment; 09-21-2019, 02:11 PM. Reason: spelling

Re: Ad Astra

So glad you liked it. Going tonight.
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Loved it.

Comment

I enjoying TWO FERNS THE MOVIE, which also weirdly takes place in space.

Comment

Beautiful cinematography. Striking action sequences.

Didn't really love the ending and found the theme a touch hokey.

Still a good movie. Those user scores are puzzling. I guess maybe if you have the attention span of a Candy Crush addict then this movie might be too slow for you. It did feel like a LONG two hours, but overall it was more good than bad.

Comment

I have zero desire to see this movie. And I already feel like I've seen this movie at least 5 times and I didn't like those either. I like my space movies to have aliens or captain kirk in them. Or both.

Comment

So, I'll say, beautiful film. Very quiet. I liked the character's honesty revealed through voice over. Pitt has a great voice for voice over. I did really like it.

It would be as good at home on a big screen. I love Pitt, so I'm always up for the experience. The scene that stops the forward momentum on the way to Mars felt off, kind of disruptive, for me.

As soon as I read DaltWisney say, "Didn't love the ending..." I totally blanked out on the end. I just saw this film a couple days ago and I honestly can't remember how it ended, plot wise, but I did feel a little deflated.
              "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

It's a beautiful movie. Wish it had been in 3D. Brad is one heck of an actor.

Comment

more like Meh Mehstra. at almost no point did i give an emotional f*** about Brad Pitt's character. long way to go for some facile "daddy issues" psychobabble

Comment

Agree with Joe here, just nothing to this and I went in with literally no knowledge so didn't expect action and explosions.

Comment

Beautifully shot and acted. I really was loving about 2/3 - 3/4 of the way through it.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS COMING

But eventually the continuous useless body count began to grate and, I think, contributed to the V.O. beginning to grate, as well. Just didn't care how it ended by the time they got to the final piece.

Comment

Another big movie I don't want to see. Am I out of touch? I've seen this movie with big A list actors like 5-10 times and it never works for me.

Everyone should watch THE ABYSS instead which is obviously not space, but under water, but still that same type of story about humanity and aliens and exploration. Searching for answers... yada yada... but you know, a great movie!

Comment

No argument here. My all time favorite James Cameron flick!

Comment

Underrated classic! People forget. Hell I forgot!

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                              Everyone should watch THE ABYSS instead which is obviously not space, but under water, but still that same type of story about humanity and aliens and exploration. Searching for answers... yada yada... but you know, a great movie!
                              one of the elements that separates The Abyss from Ad Astra is that there are actual aliens behind the mystery, which then generates all the action and conflict when the crew goes underwater.

i was hoping that Brad Pitt would have discovered something similar was behind all the weird goings-on in this movie. but . . . nope! two hours to get all the way out to Neptune just to hear his dumb dad tell him that the last 28 years have been for nothing and there is no actual intelligent life detectable. which as far as we can tell so far is closer to reality. but sure makes for a sucky boring sci-FI movie

Comment

Working...
                              X