Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copyright under Different Title?

I've registered my new script with the Library of Congress and now my wife says the title is stupid. :-(

If I send it out under a different title will the script be still protected?

Thanks!

Re: Copyright under Different Title?

Yes. You copyrighted the work, not the title.

Comment

Thank you, Dango!

Comment

I've never seen the question come up before, but it would make no sense to tie the copyright to the title, since titles are not even copyrightable.

In any case, your work stands on its own, regardless of what someone calls it. In fact, publishers of books sometimes change the titles.

By the way, wives are often wrong.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

I generally register my scripts under their working title, and I usually end up changing the name.

Never encountered a problem.

Occasionally, if someone is familiar with the script under its original title I will put this on the front page before I resend:

TITLE
          (Formerly OTHER TITLE)
          il faut d'abord durer

Comment

Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
            Wives are often WHAT??!!...

I admire you, sir. Maybe one day I'll be as brave as you are.

Cheers CB & LMP ;-)

Comment

His wife doesn't surf Done Deal Pro...

Comment

Ha!

Remember that Dickens character? Someone tells him that, under the law, a husband is responsible for what his wife does, or something like that. He replies, "If that is what the law says, then the law is an ass. And, what's more, sir, the law is a bachelor!"

My wife and I were happily divorced (no sarcasm intended) a long, long time ago. We remain on good terms.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
                  I've never seen the question come up before, but it would make no sense to tie the copyright to the title, since titles are not even copyrightable.

In any case, your work stands on its own, regardless of what someone calls it. In fact, publishers of books sometimes change the titles.

This is incorrect. Wives are always right, unless you mean my husband's father's wife, in which case she is always wrong.
                  Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

This is incorrect. Wives are always right, unless you mean my husband's
                    father's wife, in which case she is always wrong.

Late Night Writer

Comment

Working...
                    X