Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Creative Screenwriting Magazine?

According to Jim Cirile, a monthly contributor to the magazine, the magazine and the expo may be kaput. It's a shame. Despite the fact that the expo contest has been poorly run, they seemed to get their act together this year and they've always had very informative classes there.

http://coverageink.blogspot.com/2011...enwriting.html

Re: RIP Creative Screenwriting Magazine?

Tough. Not all that surprising, but sad. It's a wonder any magazine is surviving since all I see people do is the skim through and put back. It's especially true for specialty publications.

I would think that at the very least the website would still be up and running.
    "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
    - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

If this is true I'm sorry these key folks have lost/about to lose their jobs.

Bill D was an as$hole though. Check out his response on the numerous threads here. I can only imagine if he conducted himself in his workplace as he did on these boards, then CS fate was sealed a long time ago.

EJ

Comment

the fish rots from it's head

Comment

I entered the expo screenwriting contest last year and found it very frustrating that they prolonged the late deadline, putting early and dued entries like mine on the backburner. They said my script was good, but the judge(s) didn't like the fact my characters were teenagers. If you're going to judge a script on what age the characters age, you shouldn't judge scripts. Hence, I'm glad CSM's going bust.
          "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by roscoegino View Post
            Tough. Not all that surprising, but sad. It's a wonder any magazine is surviving since all I see people do is the skim through and put back. It's especially true for specialty publications.

I would think that at the very least the website would still be up and running.
            Actually, they haven't update it for a while. Quite a telling sign of its' demise.
            "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Madbandit,
              You think that's frustrating? I actually entered and won one of the categories this year at the LA Screenwtiting Expo. You know, a check and wonderful prizes? Can't reach anyone (due to a family emergency, I couldn't attend the Awards Dinner to collect in person. BIG mistake, I guess, in retrospect).

Comment

Originally posted by DangoForth View Post
                Madbandit,
                You think that's frustrating? I actually entered and won one of the categories this year at the LA Screenwtiting Expo. You know, a check and wonderful prizes? Can't reach anyone (due to a family emergency, I couldn't attend the Awards Dinner to collect in person. BIG mistake, I guess, in retrospect).
                At least you won something. Congrats. Hope they won't renege on it...

Comment

I can't tell you how many times I have heard winners, readers, and assistants from contests complain about how they haven't been paid or how the owner/managers of such contests mismanage their funds. Sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
                    At least you won something. Congrats. Hope they won't renege on it...
                    I'll wait a little while and see what Bill has to say before I do anything about it. Gotta admit, the win itself is nice. This script had already won Best Screenplay at a film festival, so it's comforting to get a little confirmation since I "came out of retirement" last year. (I wrote a bunch of screenplays in the 90s/early millenium. A high school debate team friend / roommate at Georgetown one summer / attorney buddy wanted to try and get into the movie agent biz [he had a few book clients], so we spent that decade proving that you can, indeed, do everything wrong! But it was great fun. Then I took eight years off to be a foster parent and adopt a few kids (12 total adoptions). The "babies" are now 7, and I've got time for writing again. Also, a 3 day work week doesn't hurt, either. )

Comment

you're going to wait for Bill???!!! <<<the NikeeGoddess just shakes her head>>> dood - i've already been thru it. he doesn't care. i had to literally go thru a back door to get half of my prize. the rest of it... now, i don't care.

Comment

Sorry but --

good f-ing riddance...

Comment

I much prefer Script magazine, anyhoo.
                          FOR SALE: Brass brads, three hole punch, two reams 20 lb. paper, two packs of index cards, Final Draft (trial version), and a slew of reading material: Field, McKee, Snyder, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by millar View Post
                            I much prefer Script magazine, anyhoo.
                            Yeah.

Comment

http://creativescreenwriting.com/announcement.html

Comment

Working...
                              X