I need to know if I'm being blown off...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to know if I'm being blown off...

I've had an open door policy with a big five agent for the past few years. He's always read my material and I've sent him 2 scripts so far, neither of which connected, though obviously he's liked the writing enough to keep reading stuff. I was ready to send a 3rd today, but he got back to me with the following email:

Thanks again for following up with me _______ but I'm unfortunately just not in a position to look at or review new material of any kind right now.

I have my hands so full with commitments made to clients with whom I've had long-standing relationships and I need to focus on that exclusively now.

I wish you the best of luck with all of your future works.
    It's his last line that bugs me, as everything up to that point just seems like he's really busy. But his last line makes it seem like the door has closed indefinitely. I like to get outside opinions before I jump to conclusions, so any thoughts are appreciated.

Re: I need to know if I'm being blown off...

Unfortunately, yes. It looks like he's trying to let you down on the easy side.

Comment

It's pretty simple... You reply, "I appreciate the response and I sincerely thank you for the time and effort you've given me over these past months in considering my various scripts. All the best..."

And done.

Time to move on.

Comment

Yes. You had your shots, and he didn't see the promise in your writing to continue to take the time to read. It happens.
        twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Originally posted by JJBones View Post
          It's pretty simple... You reply, "I appreciate the response and I sincerely thank you for the time and effort you've given me over these past months in considering my various scripts. All the best..."

And done.

Time to move on.
          I did send a similar reply email to him. I got the feeling it was a let down, but wasn't sure.

Comment

Yeah; it's over. He's done with you. Move on, and make him regret it.

Comment

Strange, but that's EXACTLY the same letter my wife gave me three years ago.

HH

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
                Strange, but that's EXACTLY the same letter my wife gave me three years ago.

HH
                She blew you off and now she's not blowing you off.

Comment

Originally posted by Ambler1980 View Post
                  he got back to me with the following email:

Thanks again for following up with me _______ but I'm unfortunately just not in a position to look at or review new material of any kind right now.

I have my hands so full with commitments made to clients with whom I've had long-standing relationships and I need to focus on that exclusively now.

I wish you the best of luck with all of your future works.
                  He's probably blowing you off, but that email is so generic that it makes me wonder. It sounds like a form mail, which makes me think there might be a slight possibility that, for instance, he recently hired a new assistant and instructed him/her to blow off all random queries, and maybe that assistant, who has no knowledge of your past relationship with this agent, is the one who replied to you with this blow-off form mail.

Maybe there's a way for you to inquire, mentioning your past open-door relationship, etc.; it's a long shot, but you don't really have anything to lose.

Comment

You had a chance most of us don't get... and it didn't work out... move on, re-group... don't beat a dead horse by emailing him again, asking for "clarification" - it's sadly clear he's just not into you anyone.. much of this business is just like dating....
                    "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

It's over, my friend. Win some, lose many. Onward and upward, pal.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Striver View Post
                        He's probably blowing you off, but that email is so generic that it makes me wonder. It sounds like a form mail, which makes me think there might be a slight possibility that, for instance, he recently hired a new assistant and instructed him/her to blow off all random queries, and maybe that assistant, who has no knowledge of your past relationship with this agent, is the one who replied to you with this blow-off form mail.

Maybe there's a way for you to inquire, mentioning your past open-door relationship, etc.; it's a long shot, but you don't really have anything to lose.

No, dude. That is a polite, "don't call us, we'll call you."

I don't see how anyone could delude themselves into thinking anything but. (don't mean you specifically, i'm speaking generically.)

Comment

Originally posted by Ambler1980 View Post
                          I've had an open door policy with a big five agent for the past few years. He's always read my material and I've sent him 2 scripts so far, neither of which connected, though obviously he's liked the writing enough to keep reading stuff. I was ready to send a 3rd today, but he got back to me with the following email:

It's his last line that bugs me, as everything up to that point just seems like he's really busy. But his last line makes it seem like the door has closed indefinitely. I like to get outside opinions before I jump to conclusions, so any thoughts are appreciated.

Ambler baby, I FEEL BLOWN OFF by that one. HE'S JUST NOT THAT INTO YOU girlfriend. but btw, how about providing his/her name so one of us has a shot to replace you?

Comment

Originally posted by Usernamism View Post
                            Ambler baby, I FEEL BLOWN OFF by that one. HE'S JUST NOT THAT INTO YOU girlfriend. but btw, how about providing his/her name so one of us has a shot to replace you?
                            Bad form.

Comment

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
                              No, dude. That is a polite, "don't call us, we'll call you."

I don't see how anyone could delude themselves into thinking anything but. (don't mean you specifically, i'm speaking generically.)
                              Exactly. Seems clear as day to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X