Question for Michaelb (clients productivity)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Question for Michaelb (clients productivity)

Originally posted by RichMike View Post
    thanks again, MichaelB for all of the info you've shared.
    No problem. Happy to help.

Best,

MB
    twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Michael:

Is this a common scenario and if so, is there a good or bad way to handle this (from either the mgr or writer's POV) . . .

I have a new script that my manager has expressed a lot of enthusiasm for (back when we were wrapping it up in Dec/Jan), especially coming on the heels of an important script win (Austin). We selected a date in Feb to "take it out-, but it turns out that maybe his notion of "taking it out- and mine were polar opposites.

I thought it was going to get some serious exposure and sent to bunches of places whereas it turns out he took a far more cautious approach, pitching it to a mere handful of places and then taking a wait-n-see attitude. I'm worried that we're missing an opportunity, but I also wanna defer to his judgment since it falls more in his area of expertise on the business side.

Question:
      Does (or has) this happened to you and a client? And if so, what is the protocol here? I've politely expressed my reservations regarding the approach, but it's the first time we've ever had such a divergent opinion regarding something like this. I'm assuming it's the nature of the beast and I'm probably expected to stay out of the way and let him do his job, but . . . it just feels like such a key moment that we might be letting slip through our fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by acquaformosa View Post
        Michael:

Is this a common scenario and if so, is there a good or bad way to handle this (from either the mgr or writer's POV) . . .

I have a new script that my manager has expressed a lot of enthusiasm for (back when we were wrapping it up in Dec/Jan), especially coming on the heels of an important script win (Austin). We selected a date in Feb to "take it out-, but it turns out that maybe his notion of "taking it out- and mine were polar opposites.

I thought it was going to get some serious exposure and sent to bunches of places whereas it turns out he took a far more cautious approach, pitching it to a mere handful of places and then taking a wait-n-see attitude. I'm worried that we're missing an opportunity, but I also wanna defer to his judgment since it falls more in his area of expertise on the business side.

Question:
        Does (or has) this happened to you and a client? And if so, what is the protocol here? I've politely expressed my reservations regarding the approach, but it's the first time we've ever had such a divergent opinion regarding something like this. I'm assuming it's the nature of the beast and I'm probably expected to stay out of the way and let him do his job, but . . . it just feels like such a key moment that we might be letting slip through our fingers.
        Every case is different. Perhaps your script is not very commercial so only has a limited number of homes.

Or he could have sent it to 15 places only to get 15 rough passes, and lost enthusiasm for it.

Best,

MB
        twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Michael,

A question I'm pretty sure hasn't been asked.

I was lucky enough to eke into the Blacklist friday email with an 8 in one of the categories (characters.) The rest of the scores were 7s across the board.

The review is nothing special overall except for the "prospects" section. If that's where the review started and ended it would be a great sell.

My short term goal is to get people to download the damn thing.

So, as a manager, would the review and 7s carry any weight in whether you'd download it or not or is it really about connecting with the logline, review be damned.

Short version of the question. Should I make the review public or not?

Thanks in advance.
          E

Comment

Originally posted by ewbet View Post
            Michael,

A question I'm pretty sure hasn't been asked.

I was lucky enough to eke into the Blacklist friday email with an 8 in one of the categories (characters.) The rest of the scores were 7s across the board.

The review is nothing special overall except for the "prospects" section. If that's where the review started and ended it would be a great sell.

My short term goal is to get people to download the damn thing.

So, as a manager, would the review and 7s carry any weight in whether you'd download it or not or is it really about connecting with the logline, review be damned.

Short version of the question. Should I make the review public or not?

Thanks in advance.
            E
            People read the scripts sent to that send good to them. A script that has a good logline and a positive review that's on the email list will get reads.

Best,

MB
            twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Thanks for the speedy reply.
              E

Comment

Michaelb,

What do you think your % is on requesting to read a script from a logline in a cold query?

Assuming you take cold queries.

And have you ever met any writers on Done Deal that interested you enough to read their work?

Comment

Originally posted by Cyfress View Post
                  Michaelb,

What do you think your % is on requesting to read a script from a logline in a cold query?

Assuming you take cold queries.

And have you ever met any writers on Done Deal that interested you enough to read their work?
                  1%? Most send terrible letters.

Yes. I signed Adam Barker (ATB).

Best,

MB
                  twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Originally posted by michaelb View Post

Yes. I signed Adam Barker (ATB).
                    Best,

MB

And BDZ has disapeared.

Oh my god, you animals!
                    TRIAL FORUMS

​
                    ​

Comment

I writing a query for representation, how much should I allude to my other work? I know I should lead with my strongest piece, for reading. But as for selling myself as a writer, is it frowned upon or advantageous to say something along the lines of "I also have written X feature scripts and a TV pilot"?
                      Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by michaelb View Post

Best,

MB
                        Michael, I presume when you say terrible letter, you mean terrible logline?
                        @MacBullitt

Comment

Originally posted by samtocilarul View Post
                          I writing a query for representation, how much should I allude to my other work? I know I should lead with my strongest piece, for reading. But as for selling myself as a writer, is it frowned upon or advantageous to say something along the lines of "I also have written X feature scripts and a TV pilot"?
                          Thanks
                          Unless they are something that sold is a meaningful way, just go with your script.

Best,

MB
                          twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Originally posted by Twofingeredtypist View Post
                            Michael, I presume when you say terrible letter, you mean terrible logline?
                            Both.

Best,

MB
                            twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Michael-
                              There was a recent great article in Vanity Fair about the state of the spec script. Wanted to get your opinion - do you agree that it's cyclical, meaning we're about to reenter a period of spec booms? Or, do you think those times are gone for good?

Comment

Originally posted by OCeeBee View Post
                                Michael-
                                There was a recent great article in Vanity Fair about the state of the spec script. Wanted to get your opinion - do you agree that it's cyclical, meaning we're about to reenter a period of spec booms? Or, do you think those times are gone for good?
                                I think you misread the article a bit. It said we had a bit of a nice bounce back after the awful post strike/recession days. That being said, the good old days referenced in that article are gone for good.

Best,

MB
                                twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Working...
                                X