Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Managers -- What Is and Is Not An Ideal Relationship

I had 3 managers and most communication was through email. Phone calls were rare. I wasn't well repped I guess.

My question for the writers who seem to have these strong relationships -- was it that way from the jump? Did you sell something?

Because it seems when I talk to writers who sold a spec, the way they talk about their relationships with managers is night and day to what i experienced.

I wanted just 10% of what some of the posters had. They always say "they work for you" but I always felt like they were doing me the favor and until I made money, I'm nothing to them really.

So seeing this list of questions, my question is back is "How common is this?"

Because I know I'm not crazy because I knew many writers on this board who had similar situations.

Someone I did not get treated well at all at these 2 places (can I blame my writing partner) and I'm thinking the people on this thread could be with those reps right now and have a 100% different experience.

That's a big thing. Just because Manager X does great for Johnny Writer doesn't mean they will do **** for you because well they are too busy helping Jane The Writer who already has a career going.

Man, I have some depressing Hollywood stories and I was barely in the machine. Damn.

Sorry, Gucci but can you get back together with the ex and put in a good word for me and the rest of the gain at 3arts? I mean we don't all have to go to her? I can go to my ex manager who works there who I think hates my guts. Ha ha ha ha... sad face.

Comment

Originally posted by Satriales View Post
      docgonzo - re: heavier hitters. Are you talking within an organization (ie: not CE or Directors of Development, but the head of production or the principal) or a more prestigious production company? Or both?

For me, it's a mixed bag - a few places I'm in with former studio heads turned producers, another place with a guy who was a driving force on a couple of Oscar winners and an action franchise, but the vast majority of places with a POD deal I'm pitching to the CE...then the director...then the head of production. From what I can tell, that is the norm at my level...I guess?
      AnyOtherName said what I wanted to say better: studio relationships. That's basically what I meant.

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
        Actually, having read both lists again, I think mine would just be redundant. Mine is a mix of docgonzo and Satriales. And I can't really think of anything useful to add in addition.

I'd say my biggest gripe is: Show me the submission grid. He did that with my first script so I could keep track of who's passing. But now, not really. I think I was a bit spoiled when my ex repped me for a bit, she'd tell me everyone it's going to and just blind CC me on all emails (this was when I was at Resolution, then Gotham). I knew exactly what was going on, good and bad.

But, agents can be the same way (i.e not share intel). With a pilot I wrote when I was at CAA my agent was like "Cool, I'll take a look at the new draft." I don't hear sh!t for weeks. Then: "Hey... there are 4 producers who want to attach, I'm setting meetings. What's you're availability?"

I'm like "WTF?!? I didn't even know you sent it out." I like to know who it's going to, and I like to know individual passes. WHO didn't like my sh!t?

With this new one it's gone out incredibly slow. Maybe he's more focused on docgonzo. LOL.
        LOL, I didn't get submission grids for my last spec either. But I did get them for the first one we went out with. Maybe he's just not doing them anymore? I should ask him when we go out with the next one in late Aug/Sep.

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
          LOL, I didn't get submission grids for my last spec either. But I did get them for the first one we went out with. Maybe he's just not doing them anymore? I should ask him when we go out with the next one in late Aug/Sep.
          hmm... what are submission grids?
          "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
            hmm... what are submission grids?
            It's basically a list of companies that have the script, who's passed, who hasn't, etc.

Comment

follow up question...

when i asked my manager if it would be seen on Tracking B he said that it would appear on racking boards but that Tracking B was something for writers and not an industry tracking board. he said if you want me to get it on Tracking B he said he could, but the industry doesn't use it they have internal tracking boards. i said, nah, if it doesn't matter then don't bother.

can someone confirm or correct this?
              "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                follow up question...

when i asked my manager if it would be seen on Tracking B he said that it would appear on racking boards but that Tracking B was something for writers and not an industry tracking board. he said if you want me to get it on Tracking B he said he could, but the industry doesn't use it they have internal tracking boards. i said, nah, if it doesn't matter then don't bother.

can someone confirm or correct this?
                There's Trackingb and Tracking-Board. Specs that go out might get a listing on either or both. The first one I went out with also got a Heat Meter write up that my manager churned out to drum up interest. People still look at those, I guess, but they're not as trafficked as they were five years ago.

And there are internal boards as well. I've never been on them, but I know about them through friends. GGXXX will have better insight on those, I'm sure.

Comment

• what would you like them to do that they do not do?

More meetings. That's it. More OWA opportunities.
                  • how often do you communicate with your manager?

We talk twice a week if I'm on a stepped writing assignment. Once a week if not. He'll call me more if something is up.
                  • how do they guide your career?

He doesn't because I don't want him to. I want jobs and meetings, period.
                  • what is a fair turnaround time to read your screenplay (any draft)?

A week, but honestly I don't think he ever reads them. I think he skims them and has somebody else read them.
                  • how do they communicate their notes on a draft?

I don't want notes from him. I don't want him telling me what I can or can't write. I can make that judgement myself. I just want him to send them out when I'm done.
                  • do they have a strategic plan to develop your career in the first year, 5 years and beyond?

Nope. Thank God.
                  • what are your biggest disappointments with having a manager?

The ones I've fired because they told me what scripts I could or couldn't write. I also am not a fan of them attaching as producer. I have a deal with my manager about that. If he wants to produce, he options, pays me (without percentage), and gets financing. It's worked once so far. Otherwise, he doesn't attach.
                  • what were you not expecting (good or bad) that impacted your writing?

Good? He leaves me alone to write, then makes money after.
                  • what would you have liked to ask before you signed that you didn't ask?
                  • what were your initial expectations of having a manager? which ones were realistic and which were not?

Now I know to ask, "Are you going to tell what I can or can't write?" and if they say, "Yes.", I move on. My expectations were meetings, getting work in front of people, and job opportunities. This one is doing that.
                  • what are the best aspects of your manager relationship? what are their greatest strengths and their greatest weaknesses?

He knows I don't work FOR him. It's a relationship. I don't answer to him or him to me. We work together.
                  • what would you tell a writer who doesn't have a manager, what they should know and understand before going in?

You don't work FOR your reps. YOU sign contracts. YOU do the work. They're there to facilitate that and get you meetings and job opportunities. You work WITH them.
                  • do they send you an active list of open writing assignments? or is this strictly an agent's responsibilities?

I get opportunities at OWAs from him.

Comment

What would you like them to do that they do not do?

Get me more meetings. And not just generals, but put me up for more actual OWAs.

how often do you communicate with your manager?

Totally depends on what's going on. Anywhere from several times a week to once every other week or so.

how do they guide your career?

A multitude of ways. They give their thoughts on ideas, notes on drafts, get my writing in front of the people it needs to get in front of.

what is a fair turnaround time to read your screenplay (any draft)?

Generally happens within a week.

how do they communicate their notes on a draft?

Almost always a phone call.

do they have a strategic plan to develop your career in the first year, 5 years and beyond?

Not that I know of. They'll come up with thoughts and ideas of things I should be/could be doing, but I don't think it's that structured.

what are your biggest disappointments with having a manager?

Harkening back to the first question, I'd like to be up for more jobs. Especially at this point in my career.

what were you not expecting (good or bad) that impacted your writing?

How quick they would be to say "I don't think you should write that." It took me an adjustment period to learn how to best navigate that.

what would you have liked to ask before you signed that you didn't ask?

I'm honestly not sure...

what were your initial expectations of having a manager? which ones were realistic and which were not?

Other people have mentioned this, but my previous manager did an amazing job of keeping me in the loop on submissions. He'd often BCC me on emails with execs, etc. My current managers don't do this. They'll tell me if I ask. But I do miss knowing exactly what was going on with my script, in real time.

what are the best aspects of your manager relationship? what are their greatest strengths and their greatest weaknesses?

They generally give strong notes in the development process. They've definitely helped to make scripts better. They're also just generally good people, which is one of the most important things I could think of. I've had friends with horror stories about managers who turned out to be raging *******s.

what would you tell a writer who doesn't have a manager, what they should know and understand before going in?

Find someone who is truly passionate about your writing and excited to work with you. Someone who is going to hustle for you like they're hustling for themselves.

do they send you an active list of open writing assignments? or is this strictly an agent's responsibilities?

I've never gotten a list. They'll just set the meeting.
                    Last edited by DLev24; 07-15-2019, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Ha! Cool. Good luck with that submission! Lemme know if you get one [grid]. On this new one of mine I don't really know what's going on. LOL
                      Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

There's Trackingb and Tracking-Board. Specs that go out might get a listing on either or both. The first one I went out with also got a Heat Meter write up that my manager churned out to drum up interest. People still look at those, I guess, but they're not as trafficked as they were five years ago.

And there are internal boards as well. I've never been on them, but I know about them through friends. GGXXX will have better insight on those, I'm sure.
                        Actually, I don't have better intel on that. All I can say is that from an insidery perspective, my ex never (not once) looked at any of that. The mid-level agents and above seriously don't give a fukk about ANY script competitions. God's honest truth. How's that for a miserable stat? I believe all of that is for the "baby" managers and agents.

Swear to God, I once asked my ex if she read any Nicholl scripts and she's like "I've heard of it, but I don't really know what that is." That's how spoiled some of these reps are. That's how fukkin HARD it is to get signed at a BIG.... (not that you, specifically, don't now that. Speaking generally)

Ooops... but yeah, those insidery lists are out there, but I don't know how you get on them. Huge sale? I honestly don't know. My guess is huge sale.
                        Last edited by GucciGhostXXX; 07-15-2019, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Interesting. So, your manager is literally giving you no notes, it's just a "I liked it or I didn't" call? I'm curious if your manager used to be a writer. I think those types tend to want to dig in more, whereas ex-agents tend not to.

Probably a good place to point out that managers aren't one size fits all, some writers like/need/want their development notes, some writers don't wan't/need that. So you gotta find one who fits your style.
                          Ha, the call is usually like, my manager says "It's great, but what if you added this element to the third act?" and I'll say, "Hmm, yeah, that's really interesting" and the next day I'll call back and say, "I thought about it, and I think that would ultimately do more harm than good" and (s)he will say, "Yeah, I totally get it," and then we'll move on to strategizing about the script.

FWIW, I think my manager does more "development" with other clients but knows that I don't want that and therefore doesn't try that sh*t with me.

I'm curious what you mean by this. Are you saying that you have certain relationships with people that your manager doesn't have a relationship with, so you take the lead on it? And why are these scenarios awkward for you?
                          It's just that, because my agent knew those people, (s)he could pester when necessary, ask for the straight poop, etc., in a way my manager just can't. The person most likely to get a straight answer in these situations is me, so by necessity, I end up doing a rep's job for myself, which can be awkward.

Comment

Originally posted by AnyOtherName View Post
                            Ha, the call is usually like, my manager says "It's great, but what if you added this element to the third act?" and I'll say, "Hmm, yeah, that's really interesting" and the next day I'll call back and say, "I thought about it, and I think that would ultimately do more harm than good" and (s)he will say, "Yeah, I totally get it," and then we'll move on to strategizing about the script.

FWIW, I think my manager does more "development" with other clients but knows that I don't want that and therefore doesn't try that sh*t with me.

It's just that, because my agent knew those people, (s)he could pester when necessary, ask for the straight poop, etc., in a way my manager just can't. The person most likely to get a straight answer in these situations is me, so by necessity, I end up doing a rep's job for myself, which can be awkward.
                            Ha! Gotcha. Good for you for being that confident about your material. I honestly am not. I used to be, when sh!t was going well, but now that every script only has a few fans (some big ones, but not wide like my first time at bat) I'm way less confident. But good for you, I wish I was where you're at!

Ahhh... gotcha on the relationship thing as well. I'm in a similar position. With some of these fancy shops my manager is like "I have a hard time getting their jr to respond." And I'm like "I've known THE DUDE/CHICK for 10 years. I can email them direct." My manager's like "Then go for it, probably best if you reach out." So I do. Agreed, it's kinda awkward talking up your own stuff and repping yourself. I'd rather not do that. But... *shrug*

Comment

From big writers you'll hear sh!t like "Managers are worthless, I don't have one." From mid-ish level writers you'll hear sh!t like "Choose VERY carefully."

Bruh, if you ain't got one and are brand new... Take anyone (legit) willing to rep you. Meaning, if you ain't got choices. I don't care what anyone says, at least that sorta gets you in the game. It's more than nothing. But, you should ALWAYS continue to manage/agent yourself.

You can always hopscotch managers after you get some momentum if it's not a perfect fit. I mean, you'll likely do that anyway (So far I've been with CAA, Resolution, Gotham, new place).

Your specific questions are (for me) a very layered question to answer. But I'd always go with the dude/chick who's gonna hustle the most for you. What does it matter if you're with CAA if they don't return your calls?

Thanks. It's hard to gauge who's going to hustle or be passionate about your work as it seems like different writers have different experiences with the same managers. Judging from the answers to the questions on this thread, different writers have had a different rapport with their reps. Thanks for sharing your perspective from the vantage point of someone experienced in these things.

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
                                Thanks. It's hard to gauge who's going to hustle or be passionate about your work as it seems like different writers have different experiences with the same managers. Judging from the answers to the questions on this thread, different writers have had a different rapport with their reps. Thanks for sharing your perspective from the vantage point of someone experienced in these things.
                                My pleasure, but IDK how experienced I am with these things. Truthfully, I feel like the longer I'm in this biz the less I know. Feels like it's a total crap shoot all the way around.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X