Anybody Know Any Agents or Managers Open to Acquiring New Clients?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody Know Any Agents or Managers Open to Acquiring New Clients?

I am having a hard time, a very hard time, finding an agent or a manager that is open to acquiring new clients without a prior history in Hollywood.

Could you please PM me with any agent or manager's e-mails that are open to acquiring new writers? I have a portfolio of edited scripts that I would like to be represented, and they're called THROWAWAY and FLIGHT 365.

Thanks, and take care.

Re: Anybody Know Any Agents or Managers Open to Acquiring New Clients?

ONLY if you have the spare cash, you might consider VPF (Virtual Pitchfest), as they have a list of reps who are taking pitches. Even then, wait till they have a sale on (which is usually every second day).

But even with this list above, yf you are willing to do the work you can take the names you find there and find their email structures via Google etc. and send our free emails.

Look, few of us trust these paid services, but they are direct pipelines to people who 'claim' to be willing to take a pitch. And from the point of view of a rep, if they're willing to take a pitch, that presumably means they're willing to rep you (or even just a one-off representation of the script, which isn't such a bad thing).

G'luck!

PS. Anybody? What happened to that big Agents and Managers list that used to be maintained here by limama?

Comment

I don't trust VPF. 10 out of 10 pitches were duds but I've emailed the same companies and gotten read requests. Just my experience.

Anyway I'm not repped but you should check imdbpro and this website's subscription.

Comment

Originally posted by JRosebrookMaye View Post
        I am having a hard time, a very hard time, finding an agent or a manager that is open to acquiring new clients without a prior history in Hollywood.

Could you please PM me with any agent or manager's e-mails that are open to acquiring new writers? I have a portfolio of edited scripts that I would like to be represented, and they're called THROWAWAY and FLIGHT 365.

Thanks, and take care.
        Everyone accepts new clients and 99% of them say they don't. That's the industry. It's not that much easier for me who has been repped before to get their attention than it is for you. There is no secret list. Query anyone.

Catcon -- have you ever had luck with VPF -- you mention it often?

To be clear to newbie writers, my thought is -- I would not use VPF. Query email directly. Free. The end.
        Last edited by Bono; 08-16-2019, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
          Everyone accepts new clients and 99% of them say they don't. That's the industry. It's not that much easier for me who has been repped before to get their attention than it is for you. There is no secret list. Query anyone.

Catcon -- have you ever had luck with VPF -- you mention it often?

To be clear to newbie writers, my thought is -- I would not use VPF. Query email directly. Free. The end.
          Same...

I've sold sh!t (my own and others).

Been repped at CAA (considered best agency in town).

Worked with A-List producers developing.

Worked with A-list showrunners developing.

NONE of that is "I have been produced and it's made people MONEY." Feel me? It kinda doesn't count.

I suppose I could put that in a query, but the truth is no one fukkin cares. They honestly don't. Just give them the logline etc. That's all they give a sh!t about.

Good luck! Welcome to HELL! LOL
          Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Thanks, and take care.
            Screenwriters WITH a history in Hollywood still have a very hard time finding an agent or a manager. And there are literally THOUSANDS of writers without any credit who want to get read. And right now, with the current WGA/Agency "disagreement", representation is a lot tighter.

So, what do you do? You find a way to make yourself stand out (as a writer, that is - don't send very odd things/thoughts via snail or email so you stand out as a weirdo). Winning a contest is one way. Putting your script(s) on the BlackList site and getting a couple solid ratings (not recommending it, just saying it as an option) is another. Do a pitch fest or two. Get a referral from someone in the industry who has read your work and can recommend it is another. Get work on a set as a PA, craft, honey wagon driver, whatever you can find to meet people in the industry....

Agents and managers literally get a hundred emails a week from people who want representation for their screenwriting. You have to have something that makes you stand out from them. Sometimes a REALLY INCREDIBLE logline alone can do that. Some here have done it, so might be worthwhile to get some feedback on it in one of the forums.

Comment

...Catcon -- have you ever had luck with VPF -- you mention it often?..
              "Mention", yes, but not recommend, nor any luck (ie. rep or option offer). Same for InkTip's Preferred Newsletter. I'd have to have plenty of extra cash before I'd use either, but especially VPF since it costs so much more "per pitch".

However, there are "names" there who are untouchable in any other way, when I've tried direct email

The main reason I mention VPF, the InkTip Newsletter, etc. is that they "claim" to have access to reps who are actively seeking specific types of stories. Trying to match up with their "needs" is a good thing, whether or not it's true or current is another question.

I also recommend these (and don't forget CJ Walley's free hosting service Script Revolution) because I'm an advocate of writers who're outside the norm (older person, not living in L.A., unrepped, etc.). The services are merely alternatives to the standard email blasts that are available to all.

Let's put it this way: This week I sent about cold 150 email pitches. I only know that maybe ten percent get through for sure, because in the past I've had responses of one type or another. The rest? The email addresses are legit, but who knows. Maybe email spam filters are trapping them. Maybe they're being ignored, without being opened. Maybe being read, and then ignored. But email's free, and you just never know -- if you don't try.

However, if I had (but I don't, right now) $50 for a VPF package, or the $60 for the InkTip preferred newsletter, I'd spring for them.

There are a few names on VPF, for instance, who always respond to my direct emails with "no unsolicited", yet they are definitely movie-making caliber folks, so the only time I've ever been able to pitch them is on VPF. (Maybe once ever one or two years now, I buy a cheap pitch package) Most respond with that dreaded "Just didn't grab me" thing, but there's one good guy there, for a major prodco, who writes a little essay about what was wrong with your pitch even if he doesn't request a read. And he has taken 4 scripts from me, among about ten pitches over the years. But I'm talking a producer, here, not a rep (re: OP's question).

But anyway, for 99% of the names there on VPF, I've been able to find the email addresses, so I pitch them directly. But who knows what would have happened if I'd sent the "right" pitch to the person via VPF, at the "right" time?

Still, neither do you see VPF claiming much credit for starting people's careers. At least InkTip has a rather mega-list of optioned/produced low-budget features on its website. And we're still waiting for ScriptRevolution to get a major success, but then not a lot of reps/producer even know about it. The proprietor is getting too busy these days, on his own successes, to waste a lot of time marketing the site on our benefit -- that is, for the 4300 "other" writers who've joined up to his site, besides himself.

Ah... so onward and upward to more free email pitches for me, today...

Comment

I am having a hard time, a very hard time, finding an agent

You don't need an agent. You can't get one. You need heat, then the agents will come to you.

This is VERY old but it's still true:

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ad.php?t=15194

"So assume for a moment that the goal is not an agent - it's the heat that an agent follows. How to create that heat?

1. Make a movie that's so good it's the talk of one of the major festivals (Sundance, Toronto, Cannes).
                2. Write a script so good it wins - WINS - a major contest like Nicholls, Sundance or Chesterfield (though my friend that won Chesterfield is still looking for work).
                3. Write a script that delights and dazzles every single person that reads it. This is your "Magic Script" - the one that will swim like a strangely talented guppy through all the land mines the business offers. The one that will turn the rules and conventional wisdom on its head. This kind of script could very well get talent and financing before an agent ever gets wind of it"
                ==========

Comment

Thanks, and take care.
                  It took me 6 options, including 2 to studios, and only a reference from a director finally got me my first manager. And right now, because most pro writers fired their agents, managers are swamped and agents who can take writers now have their pick of established writers, this may be the worst time ever for new writers to get reps. You can do it, but you have to have some kind of track record of success or a reference right now. Keep querying to producers and I wish you the best. It's a LONG game. It took me 12 years to get my first produced film. Hang in there.

Comment

Originally posted by EdFury View Post
                    It took me 6 options, including 2 to studios, and only a reference from a director finally got me my first manager. And right now, because most pro writers fired their agents, managers are swamped and agents who can take writers now have their pick of established writers, this may be the worst time ever for new writers to get reps. You can do it, but you have to have some kind of track record of success or a reference right now. Keep querying to producers and I wish you the best. It's a LONG game. It took me 12 years to get my first produced film. Hang in there.

Agreed. The timing right now sucks. I can't imagine managers taking on anyone new right now. They're having to play double duty because everyone fired their agents. They're slammed.

Comment

This is so true it hurts. There's not a rep out there who wouldn't take on a new client that excited them.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
                        This is so true it hurts. There's not a rep out there who wouldn't take on a new client that excited them.
                        Agreed-ish.

But, the higher up the ladder you go, the script has to be 101% ready to go to market AS IS and fit through the eye of a needle (with agents). The rub is that it's harder than ever to convince an agent that your script is 101% ready, AS IS.

But, I think a more true statement would be: Mid-level and below will make room for you if they 101% believe you can become a million dollar a script writer or win an Oscar/Globe/Emmy. Agents don't want to "build" anymore (as you surely know). Managers, are still willing to (as you surely know).

Agents used to accept 99% of the way there. Now it seems they want 101% of the way there. And it's exponential prowess. It's the hardest to go from 99% to 101%. 95% of the way there is considered insufficient i.e. "wasn't quite passionate enough about the material."

I think it depends on if we're talking manager or agent.

Comment

Aren't managers having bigger rosters now? I heard one manager say that he has 50 clients. That's a lot to handle and not so great if you're #49.

Comment

Pet Peeve -- People saying you can give more than 100%. I don't think anyone gives 100% on anything. Even Michael Jordan was only giving 99.9%... Even if you were dying and trying to save your own life at least 0.0001% of your mind is thinking about something stupid like a Friends episode you watched last night.

End rant. Doesn't help I know.

I bet 99.9% of you are very mad at me....

Comment

Pet Peeve -- People saying you can give more than 100%. I don't think anyone gives 100% on anything. Even Michael Jordan was only giving 99.9%... Even if you were dying and trying to save your own life at least 0.0001% of your mind is thinking about something stupid like a Friends episode you watched last night.

End rant. Doesn't help I know.

I bet 99.9% of you are very mad at me....
                              Ha! True...

It's merely the "perception" of...

Comment

Working...
                              X