Question for Michaelb (clients productivity)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Question for Michaelb (clients productivity)

Originally posted by markerstone View Post
    MB - to add to that last question... are you aware of what genres and types of scripts appeal to certain managers?

Seems like relationships with genre specific production companies would probably influence a manager's appetite.

Best,
    Markerstone
    Originally posted by keithcalder View Post
    Generally, this is pretty easy to figure out just from looking at the manager's client list.
    This.

And, not everyone is as genre as specific as you may think. Most people have a diverse client list.

Best,

MB
    twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Internet is such a beautiful thing.

When I was 14 years old my hometown was being heavily bombed by the US (I'm Serbian). My mom cleared one corner of the living room that had no windows around and set up a TV and a VCR there so I could watch movies whenever we got the power back.

I remember I had this awful, pirated, camera recorded version of The Matrix with no subtitles (btw pirating industries lack of professionalism and industry standards of any kind when it comes to subtitles helped me a lot with my english) and I used to watch it over and over again, admiring the story, the action, everything.

Obviously, when you are 14 years old films like The Matrix make even more sense and I can only imagine how my mother felt, being scared, anxious because of the bombing etc but still faking enthusiasm and nodding while I was telling her about the brilliant plan that the machines had - harvesting energy from human beings - not realising at the time it was all just an excuse to have Keanu Reeves and Laurence Fishburne do crazy s$%t (but still, it was an awesome and smart excuse).

Anyway, since I have this feeling that Mr Botti might be less forgiving than my mom when it comes to me blabbing I'll get to the point.

Even then I knew what I wanted to do. I wanted to tell stories and to use this awesome medium called film to do it. But, at the time, Hollywood, screenwriting and movie business in general might have been in a completely different galaxy, that's how far away from me it all seemed to be.

Now, thanks to the internet and people like you it all seems so much closer.

Not only am I able to listen and learn from you, as well as write all this irrelevant s#^t and have you read it (sorry) but now I know that if I work hard It's not impossible to end up being a proud author of one of those 80 loglines that you will glance over one week and forget about them instantly because they kinda suck.

And that's all the motivation I need. That near certainty that my logline will actually be read by someone like you. Rest is up to me.

I'm sorry if I bored you with this Mr Botti. I figured that maybe you would like to know just how big of a global reach what you are doing has.

And what you, and other wonderful industry people are doing (besides giving constructive advices and tips about the business) is making dreams seem much, much closer.

So thank you once more. I'll talk to you again in a couple of months!
      Last edited by sstefanovic; 10-09-2013, 11:25 AM.
      twitter.com/skarter

Comment

Hi MichaelB,

Is it a complete turn-off for a rep to attempt to sell a prior taken out spec? Is a writers spec dead after its first attempt at selling with another rep? I've read that some reps aren't bothered by this (shopping a previously shopped piece of material), but I was curious what your opinion was on this matter.

EJ

Comment

Originally posted by EJ Pennypacker View Post
          Hi MichaelB,

Is it a complete turn-off for a rep to attempt to sell a prior taken out spec? Is a writers spec dead after its first attempt at selling with another rep? I've read that some reps aren't bothered by this (shopping a previously shopped piece of material), but I was curious what your opinion was on this matter.

EJ
          Really just depends on the script. If it went out wide, and it's not the script you are signing with new reps on, it most likely will be used in select cases. It's not often that reps retake out wide a script that has already gone out wide. But again, it's all a case by case basis.

Best,

MB
          twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Hi Michael,
            Sorry if this is asked and answered already:
            If you query an agent with a Logline and get no response, is it bad form to query the same agent later with a different logline? I assume it's just a pass on the first LL.
            Thanks
            SL35
            Potent dreamer. Newb disclaimer.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverlynx35 View Post
              Hi Michael,
              Sorry if this is asked and answered already:
              If you query an agent with a Logline and get no response, is it bad form to query the same agent later with a different logline? I assume it's just a pass on the first LL.
              Thanks
              Yep. It's a pass. If I get 2 or 3 bad queries from a writer i will sometimes ask them to stop emailing me though. Granted, I have to remember them from the previous times for that to happen, which only happens on the really bad or push ones.

Best,
              twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Originally posted by michaelb View Post
                Yep. It's a pass. If I get 2 or 3 bad queries from a writer i will sometimes ask them to stop emailing me though. Granted, I have to remember them from the previous times for that to happen, which only happens on the really bad or push ones.

Best,
                Sorry to piggyback on the last question, but has there ever been an instance where you initially passed on a query, but the writer re-queried you some time down the line and you changed your mind and asked to read it?

Comment

Originally posted by CColoredClown View Post
                  Sorry to piggyback on the last question, but has there ever been an instance where you initially passed on a query, but the writer re-queried you some time down the line and you changed your mind and asked to read it?
                  Not that I can remember.

Best,

MB
                  twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Hey Michael,

I'm sure this has been asked before but reading through 60+ for the answer is tough. On average, how long does it take for managers to respond to a query letter? Should I stop frantically checking my phone for emails after a week? 2 weeks?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by khurram_89 View Post
                      Hey Michael,

I'm sure this has been asked before but reading through 60+ for the answer is tough. On average, how long does it take for managers to respond to a query letter? Should I stop frantically checking my phone for emails after a week? 2 weeks?

Thanks.
                      Usually they will either ignore, request, or pass right when they read it.

Best,

MB
                      twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Hey Michael,

Hope you've had a good week. I've got a question for you -- when it comes to thrillers right now, do reps have a preference for those involving certain types of main characters? Say, with storylines involving major crime fighters/proponents like federal agents, drug cartels, and Navy Seals. Or powerful figures like the President (Olympus Has Fallen, White House Down). And the stakes often involve a lot of people or a powerful person getting harmed/killed (i.e., are extremely high).

I'm just wondering if Hollywood considers specs with less powerful people -- the local corrupt police chief, the neighborhood gangleader/druglord -- too simple these days. My question arises from a quick scan of spec sales in the last two years. The fact that there were two big ones involving direct attacks on the White House seems (at least in part) to bolster my view.

Would love to know your thoughts.
                        Last edited by UpandComing; 11-14-2013, 05:40 PM.
                        "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
                          Hey Michael,

Hope you've had a good week. I've got a question for you -- when it comes to thrillers right now, do reps have a preference for those involving certain types of main characters? Say, with storylines involving major crime fighters/proponents like federal agents, drug cartels, and Navy Seals. Or powerful figures like the President (Olympus Has Fallen, White House Down). And the stakes often involve a lot of people or a powerful person getting harmed/killed (i.e., are extremely high).

I'm just wondering if Hollywood considers specs with less powerful people -- the local corrupt police chief, the neighborhood gangleader/druglord -- too simple these days. My question arises from a quick scan of spec sales in the last two years. The fact that there were two big ones involving direct attacks on the White House seems (at least in part) to bolster my view.

Would love to know your thoughts.
                          It all has to do with the concept. The character needs to fit that concept and fit it well.

Best,

MB
                          twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Originally posted by michaelb View Post
                            It all has to do with the concept. The character needs to fit that concept and fit it well.

Best,

MB
                            Great - thanks!!
                            "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Happy Holidays!!! Quick question, when would be a respectful time to stop querying for the holidays? I was contemplating whether I should send any out today. Also, when would be a good time in January to start that engine back up?
                              Fiction writers are demigods among men...

Comment

Originally posted by MrDealHD View Post
                                Happy Holidays!!! Quick question, when would be a respectful time to stop querying for the holidays? I was contemplating whether I should send any out today. Also, when would be a good time in January to start that engine back up?
                                I'd stop now and not try again until January 7th. I won't even be looking at queries until then and probably just delete them on sight if they interrupted my vacation (when we are all recharging for the new year).

Best,

MB
                                twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Working...
                                X