Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imagine Impact 3

Imagine-Impact 3 is open for submissions.

Enter date: June 11 - June 28, 2019

https://www.imagine-impact.com/

Good luck.

Re: Imagine Impact 3

i'm wondering if anyone could offer up some personal experience with this process? unlike other submission-like contests, there is very little out there to help writers better understand the process and how to best apply.

curious.
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
      i'm wondering if anyone could offer up some personal experience with this process? unlike other submission-like contests, there is very little out there to help writers better understand the process and how to best apply.

curious.
      I just logged in to ask the same exact question. Has anyone moved past the first round with this one? I am mostly worried about the video. I'm extremely shy and hate video and photographs -- like at the phobia level. I have edited video (of my bands playing, I play bass with my back to the camera, fwiw) and can do the technical part of making a 30 second clip. It's the facing the camera part that is hard. And I'm sure they won't entertain any gimmicks to hide my face. ah, blech. But I have a script I want to submit so I want to get over this hurdle.

Comment

Originally posted by lostfootage View Post
        I just logged in to ask the same exact question. Has anyone moved past the first round with this one?
        It sounds like they want stuff that can get made. Commercially bent but with a level of substance. (?)

This is from Reddit from someone who got selected last time. He was in Australia, and his project was a TV series.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Screenwriti...ottom-comments

This is from that thread:
        Question: ...My question is about the 2nd round of the application process. What questions were asked and what else was required of you at this stage? Was the interview via phone or email?

Answer: ... It was a skype/video chat and all of the questions were in regards to the project. Series overview, character arcs, what do you see as the season finale, future seasons. It all comes down to your concept and your ability to deliver on it. Good luck!

Comment

Thank you, figment! Very helpful... I just read through it. I forget to search reddit for answers.

Also, if you had two different scripts that you feel are equal quality -- one is a feature, and one is a 35-page half-hour TV pilot, would you send the pilot? Because it's shorter? I actually think the half-hour form is harder than a feature to nail, but it's easier to read when it's working. Is that crazy logic?

Also, I found this bit from another reddit, which is a load off.

"There's a private Facebook group for Imagine screenwriters, and a few people mentioned that for I.I 1 they tried to be creative/funny and it didn't work, and then one person mentioned how they (or someone they know) got in to I.I 2 by being authentic and simple in their video."

https://www.reddit.com/r/Screenwriti..._are_now_open/

So I won't try to be super creative in 30 seconds, but rather make sure my sound is well done and just be straightforward in the video answer.

Comment

Also, if you had two different scripts that you feel are equal quality -- one is a feature, and one is a 35-page half-hour TV pilot, would you send the pilot?
            I think Ron Howard said somewhere that over half the applications were for a feature and since it's divided by 4 categories, that was where the most competition was. So in that case, you might want to send your pilot, as long as they're of equal quality, because there is less competition.

the categories you can enter are: (I think)
            --features = 5 writers
            --pilot for tv series = 5 writers (I'm guessing traditional network show)
            --pilot for a limited run tv show = 5 writers (I'm guessing HBO, Hulu, Netflix, etc)
            --animation = 5 writers

BUT don't take my word for this, because I can't remember where I read this. Is this breakdown on the application? Was it on a deadline article? I can't remember. And I haven't been able to find it again (yet) by googling. Anyone?

Comment

I just logged in to ask the same exact question. Has anyone moved past the first round with this one? I am mostly worried about the video. I'm extremely shy and hate video and photographs -- like at the phobia level. I have edited video (of my bands playing, I play bass with my back to the camera, fwiw) and can do the technical part of making a 30 second clip. It's the facing the camera part that is hard. And I'm sure they won't entertain any gimmicks to hide my face. ah, blech. But I have a script I want to submit so I want to get over this hurdle.
              know what i did?

i typed up my response for the video and made it small like the size of an index card then taped it to my laptop immediately below the camera and just tried to look like i was looking right at the camera speaking, really fast. haha.

it took a couple takes but it was my first time and the best i could do. i managed to get it right at 30 sec.
              "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
                I think Ron Howard said somewhere that over half the applications were for a feature and since it's divided by 4 categories, that was where the most competition was. So in that case, you might want to send your pilot, as long as they're of equal quality, because there is less competition.

the categories you can enter are: (I think)
                --features = 5 writers
                --pilot for tv series = 5 writers (I'm guessing traditional network show)
                --pilot for a limited run tv show = 5 writers (I'm guessing HBO, Hulu, Netflix, etc)
                --animation = 5 writers

BUT don't take my word for this, because I can't remember where I read this. Is this breakdown on the application? Was it on a deadline article? I can't remember. And I haven't been able to find it again (yet) by googling. Anyone?
                the category formats are:
                TV half hour
                TV hour long
                Feature

Comment

okay, so i got the video down to 30 secs to read. now i just have to memorize it. ugh! so nerve-racking.

i keep changing the actor and director selection. how to choose. by your favorite film maker or your favorite in the genre? Speilberg or Fincher?
                  Last edited by finalact4; 06-23-2019, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Well... I'm partial to Fincher, it's the more unusual choice. I love his stuff so much. Of course, it's personal.

Congratulations! On getting to the video already. I have not started yet. I'm starting to write out answers to their questions.

Comment

Well... I'm partial to Fincher, it's the more unusual choice. I love his stuff so much. Of course, it's personal.

Congratulations! On getting to the video already. I have not started yet. I'm starting to write out answers to their questions.
                      i found myself memorizing the "speech" to get me to fall asleep, only to wake up this morning still "practicing."

good luck, lostfootage!
                      FA4

ps: i think i'm going with Fincher.

Comment

Yeah! Fincher.

Good luck to you, too!

Comment

Imagine Impact is doing an AMA on Reddit:

WEDNESDAY JUNE 26 3:30-5:30 PACIFIC TIME

https://www.reddit.com/r/Screenwriti...6y&sh=6e2a8072

ETA: USE THIS LINK for the AMA

https://www.reddit.com/r/Screenwriti...a9&sh=5cb1740b
                          Last edited by figment; 06-26-2019, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
                            Imagine Impact is doing an AMA on Reddit:

WEDNESDAY JUNE 26 3:30-5:30 PACIFIC TIME

https://www.reddit.com/r/Screenwriti...6y&sh=6e2a8072
                            hey, figment, thanks for posting this.

i'm not versed on reddit. do you just follow the same link you provided? do you know if it's updated in real time? or do you have to refresh?

thanks,
                            FA4

jeez, just checked my email and they sent me one, of course. haha.

Comment

Just submitted my application. Good luck to all!

Comment

Working...
                              X