No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Done Deal Pro Site

Originally posted by JoeNYC View Post
    You don't think much about this site, do you, finalact4?
    i have never said anything negative about this site and i don't appreciate you putting your petty, small minded-words, in my mouth.

i am here contributing what i feel i can, and certainly not stomping around on the playground acting like a bully when someone has an opposing opinion.

this site is not known for being a contest. my point, that you clearly missed, is without a reputation for "being" a contest, it has no leverage.

Do you know how many non-pros, who became professional writers, were members on this site. A good many started as newbies, where they learned the craft, created and honed their loglines and scripts using insights and feedback from members.
    you're making my argument for me. they did not make it because they won a logline contest on Done Deal Pro. they did the work. that's why they succeeded.

The "reputation" that you speak of is what I was wanting to build with the "Wall of Congratulations" suggestion.

Oh, and the comment about no industry person will give a rat's ass about a logline from a DDP contest is again just accepting defeat without even trying. ?
    i said, "no one in the industry is going to take a contest run on DDP as a valid resource for a high quality screenplay based on winning a logline contest..."

not quite the same as "not giving a rat's ass," is it? certainly not as inflammatory, one might argue, but hey you be you, boo.

DDP is a resource for industry information and writers helping writers.

You don't think if there was a unique, high concept logline that would make people go -- WOW!, every single person working in the industry would ignore it -- because DDP is not, according to you, a "valid source"
    people don't buy loglines, Joe, they buy screenplays.

Done Deal Pro is not known as a screenplay contest source. that's what i said. that was my point. it is not false.

your idea was a logline contest, Joe. having someone win a logline contest then have Will contact agents, manager, and producers. let's keep it in context shall we, here's what you wrote...

JoeNYC

Maybe in the Logline contest only, members could select the top three and Will, or a volunteer could contact agents, managers and producers to inform them about the DDP site and its membership, mentioning the in-house contest and that we're inquiring if they would judge the winner of the top three.
    JoeNYC, if you think that winning a logline contest means you have a pro-level written script ready for the industry to see, you are wrong. it might, but you can't base that on the logline alone.

you can't just have a well written logline. you have to show you can execute a well-told screenplay before you contact agents, managers and producers. if you do not have both you lose all credibility. that is my point.

that's what you were presenting in your first email. that's the only one i read besides your shots at me for disagreeing with you.

have another donut.
    FA4
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
      btw, JoeNYC, i didn't post my opinions to "piss you off," i posted them because i have an opposing view. i would expect the same from you and i certainly wouldn't attack you for it.
      I respect opinions as long as it's on the topic being discussed.

When someone gets personal as you did by throwing how I'm such a "presumptuous" person in my face, you're gonna get a response from me that you're not gonna like.

How hard was it to just say, I don't agree with your opinion and here's why?

As for the consultants who are stickied on the top of the page, I stand by my opinion. I understand your opinion why you disagree.

Just remember, it wasn't too long ago that DDP said he had to close down the message board portion in order to save money to continue with the main sight. The members begged him to reconsider and to help out some paid the subscription fee for the main sight.

Will said he would try to hang on by deleting some threads and pages to save money on bandwidth.

The four script consultants, who are stickied on the services' page forever, have a combined total of 81 pages and growing.

I thought if they would help the site out, this expense to the site might be worth it.

Will didn't agree with my idea, okay, but next time he's looking to save money on the costs of keeping the site going, he may want to look in this area to cut.

finalact4, I like you. There's no hard feelings. I just ask, don't get personal with me. I'm a very sensitive guy.
      Last edited by JoeNYC; 07-05-2019, 05:19 PM.

Comment

I respect opinions as long as it's on the topic being discussed.
        JoeNYC, and i mean this sincerely, it wasn't a personal attack. since you were the author of the post it may have seemed that way, but i was careful not to direct it to YOU personally. i was making a general statement and i was careful how i worded it. i didn't quote you and i didn't use anyone's name. i don't feel there was any bitterness to my words.

When someone gets personal as you did by throwing how I'm such a "presumptuous" person in my face, you're gonna get a response from me that you're not gonna like.
        i can hold my own. i can see that you're very passionate about this, and i admire and respect that a great deal. i'm all for running a contest that has membership participation. i will even participate. i think it's important for writers to hear other viewpoints. i've already commented on what i will.

How hard was it to just say, I don't agree with your opinion and here's why?
        honestly, Joe, i thought i handled it the best way. you don't agree, i get it. i didn't think directing any of the responses directly to you was the best choice.

As for the consultants who are stickied on the top of the page, I stand by my opinion. I understand your opinion why you disagree.

Just remember, it wasn't too long ago that DDP said he had to close down the message board portion in order to save money to continue with the main sight. The members begged him to reconsider and to help out some paid the subscription fee for the main sight.
        i do remember and i helped with what i could at the time, too.. i recently renewed my membership, too.

i really appreciate this community i have a lot of really amazing writer friends-- you know who you are!

Will said he would try to hang on by deleting some threads and pages to save money on bandwidth.

The four script consultants, who are stickied on the services' page forever, have a combined total of 81 pages and growing.

I thought if they would help the site out, this expense to the site might be worth it.
        you may find that they may well decide to help. they may not. it's up to them, really.

Will didn't agree with my idea, okay, but next time he's looking to save money on the costs of keeping the site going, he may want to look in this area to cut.

finalact4, I like you. There's no hard feelings. I just ask, don't get personal with me. I'm a very sensitive guy.
        the feeling is mutual, JoeNYC, i wasn't trying to be personal. i'll take care in the future.
        FA4
        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

finalact4, it's all cool. I'm glad you've decided to participate in a logline exercise. Circle October 1rst on your calendar. If you don't know all ready, I do respect your opinions and insights on the craft and business of screenwriting.

To members:

Since DDP shot down my bigger ambitions of using its name to get industry judges, etc., I'm thinking about proceeding with the following, which is up for discussion:

There would be five genre categories. Each writer who wants to enter a logline will be allowed to enter one logline only in any category of his choice, or all categories. Members would vote for the best logline in each category.

As not to influence the vote, the board name of the writer of the logline won't be mentioned and the votes won't be posted until the deadline.

The loglines will be posted in a private, specific sub-forum. When the logline exercise is over, the forum containing the loglines will be deleted.

All logline scores would be posted to give a writer an idea on how weak or strong his logline is perceived.

Only the board name of the winners will be posted. For those writers who did not win, their board name won't be posted. It'll be up to each writer if he wishes to announce which logline is his. Otherwise, he'll remain anonymous.

I would like to ask all writers who enter their logline to play it straight and honest. No behind the scenes efforts to get friends to vote for your logline. Let it succeed or fail on its own merits.

And to those members who vote, I ask the same thing of you. There are gonna be loglines that are recognizable from helping friends with feedback, or from being posted in the Logline forum. I ask that you cast your vote on the loglines' merits and not because of friendships -- or personally not liking the writer of the logline.

You'll do your friends no favors by giving them a false impression that their logline is a winner, when it's not.

Comment

Sounds good. I'm in.
            I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

From the 'Re: WGA Offers a One Year Respite?' thread, because this topic was taking it over...

...what others are saying in this thread, maybe I should abandon the logline contest idea?
              Geez, I feel like a dream-killer.

I wouldn't 'play', but that's only because I'm too busy and don't want to waste a scintilla of creative power on anything but marketing my current slate; I'm not even writing anything new these days. But others may enjoy the contest and get something out of it.

Still, people are awfully possessive of their concepts.

Maybe you sh/could expand on the old 'script-swap' thing that was or is still being done here, into an internal contest. That is, whole finished works, instead of logs or even first 5 or 10 pages.

That's something I 'may' participate in, because the judging is internal (you folks, vs. those no-names in the contests).

I wouldn't know how to organize or administer it, though.

And seriously, these things can be a lot of work: I remember in the early days of the web, including newsgroups, I volunteered to moderate and it was the most boring, most time-consuming, most repetitive and never-ending job ever. One of the few things I quit on; and I felt so bad for the group owner - that I was disappointing him. (It was a political newsgroup in the early-90s, and there weren't any automated processes in place to prevent all the spam accounts etc.)

Comment

the list is my own list. it is a list of resources: managers, agents, and producers. you never know who will be the person that responds to your work. i'm not limiting myself. i have two different genres that will go out this year. one is a high concept rom-com the others are action thrillers.

it's not unusual, a lot of writers have large lists of contacts.

anyway, i wanted to clear up that this isn't a DDP list. my comment was that verifying and investigating a list of people in the industry is very time consuming. it's weeks, not hours.
                I just want to clear up that I didn't mean that as a put down. I am surprised, but that's "RAD!" if you were able to do that! Good for you! Awesome!

Best of luck with that!
                Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

There has been mention that some members don’t want to post their commercial logline ideas because of the potential of theft. (Unless there is a Drama category, low concepts will not win a logline competition.)

So, there may not be enough interest in having a logline exercise/competition.

I’d like to have at least 10 writers who would be interested in posting their logline for this exercise/competition.

Keep in mind, loglines will be posted in a private thread and viewed by registered (real names on record with DDP) members only where upon completion of the logline exercise/competition that thread would be deleted.

If there are enough entrants, I’d like to have five categories: Action/Adventure, Sci-fi/Fantasy, Comedy, Drama, Thriller/Horror.

If any member would be interested to enter a logline for this exercise to be held on October 1, to gage how weak or strong their logline is perceived, also for the satisfaction to know their logline is a winner, then please post that you’re in.

If any professional readers happen to view this thread and would like to volunteer their service as a prize, please post that kind offer. The members would appreciate it.

If no professional readers come forward to help out, I’ll offer as a prize an in-depth analysis of any script of the winner’s choice.

I’m not a professional reader, but I do have training in script analysis. I didn’t seek training because I wanted to be a professional reader. I have no interest in reading and analyzing scripts professionally. I sought out training only for it to help me become a stronger writer.

My feedback usually runs anywhere from 6 pages for a strong script that needs little work to 20+ pages for a weak script that needs a lot of work.

A little example of my feedback could be viewed in the Logline and Script Pages forums. There you’ll see that I’m a detail oriented person who possesses a strong eye.

I’ve decided to post a logline myself to be judged by the members. If there is a professional read as a prize, and since I’ll be adding up the scores, I won’t be eligible for the prize in case I win (fingers crossed). Whoever comes in second would receive the professional read and feedback of a script of their choice.

So far, the following members said there in, willing to post a logline: JoeNYC and Southern land.

Anyone else?

Remember, this won’t go forward unless there is at least 10 members who are in, so don’t be a party pooper. Sign on.
                  Last edited by JoeNYC; 07-07-2019, 02:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
                    I just want to clear up that I didn't mean that as a put down. I am surprised, but that's "RAD!" if you were able to do that! Good for you! Awesome!

Best of luck with that!
                    i appreciate the explanation, but i didn't take it that way. just wanted to clarify that it was my own list.

i'm glad you're here, you're a lot of fun, your input is valuable, and i'm happy you're sharing your experiences.

best of luck to you as well.
                    FA4

Comment

i appreciate the explanation, but i didn't take it that way. just wanted to clarify that it was my own list.

i'm glad you're here, you're a lot of fun, your input is valuable, and i'm happy you're sharing your experiences.

best of luck to you as well.
                      FA4
                      Thank you! We writers must stick together IMO! I wish you the very best in your endeavors. Thanks for the well wishes! This town sucks full-ass!

I'll do my best to reveal the secrets agents don't want us to know. I was married to one for 15 years (like I've mentioned), thus, I know their secrets!
                      Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

I agree with Will's points on a logline contest:

Originally posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
                        I also don't feel a logline or first 5 pages contest is going to move the needle either. Industry folks want completed scripts that have been vetted by someone they trust. A logline does very little for them in reality. Yes, they are important for queries, etc. Sure. But industry folks want a list handed to them of completed scripts by someone they know who can vouch for IP. They want scripts which are ready to go as much as possible.

Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

I give this thread an 8 out of 10 for drama.
                          "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
                            I agree with Will's points on a logline contest:
                            Nobody has any vision or imagination anymore.

sc111, by your logic we shouldn't even bother sending out query letters, because, you know, the industry is only interested in "vetted screenplays."

The industry folks that DDP was talking about was top agents and producers.

Sure, it's ALL difficult, but why are people not willing to even give something a shot? What's the worst that could happen? You'll waste your time?

If anyone thinks this way, then I suggest that they write screenplays just for the joy of it and forget about making a career of it, because this type of attitude won't get a writer far.

There are many different roads to find Hollywood. These roads are loaded with twists, pot holes and obstacles that will make the ride difficult and not a sure thing, but with a strong vehicle, little ingenuity, persistence and luck a few will make their destination.

UpandComing, I'm glad I'm able to entertain you. Now, do you have a logline that you would like to enter for an in-house exercise/competition?

P.S. Since DDP shot down my bigger ambition to build the reputation of this site and to use their name to get attention in the industry, the logline exercise will be just for fun and for a writer to gage the weakness or strength of his logline. Edited to add: Also, feedback on his screenplay of choice.
                            Last edited by JoeNYC; 07-07-2019, 01:21 PM.

Comment

UpandComing, I'm glad I'm able to entertain you. Now, do you have a logline that you would like to enter for an in-house exercise/competition?
                              I'm fine, thanks. But best of luck!
                              "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Nobody has any vision or imagination anymore.

scc111, by your logic we shouldn't even bother sending out query letters, because, you know, the industry is only interested in "vetted screenplays."

The industry folks that DDP was talking about was top agents and producers.

Sure, it's ALL difficult, but why are people not willing to even give something a shot? What's the worst that could happen? You'll waste your time?

If anyone thinks this way, then I suggest that they write screenplays just for the joy of it and forget about making a career of it, because this type of attitude what get a writer far.

There are many different roads to find Hollywood. These roads are loaded with twists, pot holes and obstacles that will make the ride difficult and not a sure thing, but with a strong vehicle, little ingenuity, persistence and luck a few will make their destination.

I think Will was amazingly tolerant of your "suggestions" for his website while setting strong boundaries.

As for your question: What's the worst that can happen?

Two words: Bad Feedback.

Bad feedback can destroy a writer's confidence when they're positioned at the start of their learning curve and unable to identify bad feedback when they see it.

We already have a logline section where people provide suggestions, why turn it into a contest? What's the value in that other than putting you in charge of a new forum?
                                Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Working...
                                X