Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Identity Thief

Ill just interject here and say that we are new parents with a 2 year old, so i've not been to the movies in 2 years, however, parents are visiting for a week, SO, I'm going first showing (5 bucks) movie marathoning while they are here.

2 on the list are definitely zero dark thirty, and silver linings. But I think we are gonna try to git in ID Thief. It looks funny from the trailers I've seen so far..not sure if it's good or bad, but Ive only seen the one, same trailer and content here in Chicago.

Let me tell you it's EVERYWHERE though. tv, radio, banner ads, street ads, I think my 2 year old even told me "Identity thief, in theatres this friday"..so, I am curious to see how it does in the 2nd week. Hopefully it sustains.

ill report back when I actually WATCH the movie before commenting on its sucky-ness or non sucky-ness.
    • Go and do likewise gents..

Comment

I thought it was funny and emotionally-satisfying. Read some bad reviews from critics, but disagree completely.

Comment

Hey guys! Sorry I've been gone... been a little nutty this past couple of weeks.

Thanks to all who went to see the movie. I hope at least most of you enjoyed it and felt like you got your twelve bucks worth.

Word of mouth has been terrific. Opening a non-sequel non-adaptation rated R comedy is a bit of a high wire act when it comes to the movie business, so I was incredibly gratified by our amazing opening weekend.

I'm more gratified by what's shaping up to be a terrific second weekend. As Ted Elliott used to say... it's not the first weekend that tells you it's a good movie. It's the second weekend. Looks like we're only dropping off by 35 or 40%, or something like that, which is great news, particularly in light of the fact that the audience has been skewing female, and we had strong competition this weekend from Safe Haven and Beautiful Creatures (written and directed by my friend and hero Richie LaGravenese... go check it out!)

As for people who hate Melissa McCarthy or hated the trailer, etc.... honestly, no big deal. Go see the movies you want to see. Avoid the movies you don't.

That said, I think Melissa is right up there with the top five comic actors in town right now... gender aside. And there is no question that after this movie, she is now viewed as a very bankable A-list star.

From a personal point of view, I think she's amazing, and I would write anything she asked me to write. Anything.

Jason Bateman was terrific as well, and I have to give him a ton of credit for helping me break the story. Couldn't have done it without him.

As for the critics, well...

...check out our podcast on Tuesday.

You might be surprised by what I have to say.

Or not!

But it's likely to be interesting either way...

Oh, and for those of you who PM'ed me, I thank you all for the lovely thoughts and congratulations.

This was a labor of love, and I'm honestly delighted by the outcome.

Next up, H3!

Comment

Congrats again Craig!

Comment

A 32% dropoff is definitely something to celebrate.

Kudos to you, Craig, couldn't have happened to a nicer, umbrage-prone screenwriter.

Comment

I just watched it and really enjoyed it. I don't watch a lot of comedies in theater -- I think Bridesmaids was the last one -- but this one had real relatable characters which a lot of comedies skimp on. I teared up on several parts just because of their personal story and how it related to the plot.

It makes me angry when people judge something when they haven't even seen it. Yet we throw fits when people read 10 pages of our script and put it down because it wasn't engaging. They were unfair and somehow committed a crime because they didn't give you a chance, yet it's okay for "you" to do it to movies.

Next time someone asks me to read their script here I'll just be like, "Meh, I heard it wasn't good" and move on I suppose.
              Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Originally posted by ducky1288 View Post
                I just watched it and really enjoyed it. I don't watch a lot of comedies in theater -- I think Bridesmaids was the last one -- but this one had real relatable characters which a lot of comedies skimp on. I teared up on several parts just because of their personal story and how it related to the plot.

It makes me angry when people judge something when they haven't even seen it. Yet we throw fits when people read 10 pages of our script and put it down because it wasn't engaging. They were unfair and somehow committed a crime because they didn't give you a chance, yet it's okay for "you" to do it to movies.

Next time someone asks me to read their script here I'll just be like, "Meh, I heard it wasn't good" and move on I suppose.
                It is shocking how many people in this town do that. Even more shocking are all the writer/actor/director friends I've met who do not watch TV or Film. Totally baffling to me.
                Twitter @CameronAlxander

Comment

I saw Identity Thief last night in a small but packed theater in Park Slope (Brooklyn). Here are some thoughts (spoilers abound):

It was hilarious, but with some odd moments in the context of things often talked about on this site.

Favreau perfect as an immediately unlikeable douchebag with some great lines.

Some great scenes when Bateman gets turned around as the bad guy

Probably the funniest was the scene in the motel room. The movie goes after the raunchy pretty hard but there's also some interesting things going on with McCarthy's character.

The scriptnotes podcast recently talked about plotholes.

I thought there was a bit of a "fridge" moment during a shift in the movie when Bateman's character decides to become an identity thief himself in order to get further down the road. They're in St. Louis and out of cash, but instead of getting money wired, Bateman decides to risk committing multiple felonies--in a way that he could easily be caught red-handed in order to steal Favreau's identity-when they need a few hundred bucks.

Instead of bailing at that point, they decide to stay in town and live it up at a top-notch hotel, get makeovers and have a sumptuous meal together. There's a right time for fast food and it's probably after you've just committed a crime.

This does allow a nice kind of Pretty Woman moment with McCarthy dolled up. But Bateman goes into this speech where he talks about what he's learned from her; in fact he enumerates in dialogue all the ways that his character his changed--and possibly have made him better, because of meeting McCarthy.

Another car pile allows them to escape arrest but feels out of tone with the comedy and intended character development.

Some people are going to criticize the ending of this film as an overreach of redemption. That may depend on how you view human nature. But I think the film earns it-it's well done-built up in stages throughout and it feels in line with what we've seen leading up.

When they get to Denver, McCarthy spends the night with Bateman's family. Just when you think she's going to apologize and the comedy's over she goes into a really funny explanation of how Bateman didn't try anything with her when they were on the road together. She hasn't become a different person-she's still crzy, but meeting Bateman has affected her.

As a father with a toddler, theater time/dollars are precious-and this movie delivered on laughs--and that's the main thing. Enjoyed-and I think most of the audience did as well.

Comment

Originally posted by mistyritters View Post
                    I thought there was a bit of a "fridge" moment during a shift in the movie when Bateman's character decides to become an identity thief himself in order to get further down the road. They're in St. Louis and out of cash, but instead of getting money wired, Bateman decides to risk committing multiple felonies--in a way that he could easily be caught red-handed in order to steal Favreau's identity-when they need a few hundred bucks.
                    You're not wrong, and it's basically an argument I lost along the way. In my first draft, they steal Favreau's card info over the phone. Low risk, high reward. But we can't always get what we want.

Instead of bailing at that point, they decide to stay in town and live it up at a top-notch hotel, get makeovers and have a sumptuous meal together. There's a right time for fast food and it's probably after you've just committed a crime.
                    Yup. Agreed. In my first draft, they steal his info, drive as long as they can, and then have to stop just to get some food and rest. That's where the restaurant scene and makeover occurred. There weren't any cops involved at all. But see above, getting what you want, etc.

This does allow a nice kind of Pretty Woman moment with McCarthy dolled up. But Bateman goes into this speech where he talks about what he's learned from her; in fact he enumerates in dialogue all the ways that his character his changed--and possibly have made him better, because of meeting McCarthy.
                    Ah, here I disagree. He enumerates how his character has changed, but it's not for the better. It's actually for the worse. In fact, what she's saying is, "You were fine the way you were. You just didn't realize it. The things you think you need to be... you don't need to be. Accept that what's good about you doesn't require you to change one bit."

Another car pile allows them to escape arrest but feels out of tone with the comedy and intended character development.
                    Agreed. Wasn't in my first draft. Same deal. You can't always get what you want.

Some people are going to criticize the ending of this film as an overreach of redemption. That may depend on how you view human nature. But I think the film earns it-it's well done-built up in stages throughout and it feels in line with what we've seen leading up.
                    Glad you felt that way.

As a father with a toddler, theater time/dollars are precious-and this movie delivered on laughs--and that's the main thing. Enjoyed-and I think most of the audience did as well.
                    Excellent! I can't ask for anything more!

Comment

• Re: Identity Thief

Mazel tov, dude. Kind of restores my faith in karma...
                      "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Craig wins!

Comment

In case anyone here has not yet already done so, it's well worth listening to this week's ScriptNotes podcast to hear Mr. Mazin's observations regarding the reviews of his film. His comments are remarkably candid.

How fascinating to learn that the writer is a devotee of Nietzsche. The transcript of the podcast comes up in a few days, but in the meantime, anyone who wishes to mull over the quotation that Mr. Mazin reads can find it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amor_fati

It's from The Gay Science, in the helpfully annotated Walter Kauffman translation -- which, by the way, is a great book to begin with, if one wishes to immerse oneself in Nietzsche's work. Many of Nietzsche's most famous formulations originate in this text.

Comment

Originally posted by karsten View Post
                            In case anyone here has not yet already done so, it's well worth listening to this week's ScriptNotes podcast to hear Mr. Mazin's observations regarding the reviews of his film. His comments are remarkably candid.
                            +1
                            ==========

Comment

Originally posted by karsten View Post
                              Just listened, and I'll echo your comments.

It's a great listen for anyone who puts themselves out there creativity, but I also think the mentality extends far beyond screenwriting.

Comment

Originally posted by jboffer View Post
                                Just listened, and I'll echo your comments.

It's a great listen for anyone who puts themselves out there creativity, but I also think the mentality extends far beyond screenwriting.
                                Yep. Really glad they started the podcast. This was a great one.

Comment

Working...
                                X