X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The New Black List

Originally posted by ReneC View Post
    Is the writer's contact information provided with the script when it is downloaded? I'm curious what happens if a producer reads a script but doesn't act on it right away, and six months later decides to contact the writer only to find the writer has stopped paying to have it hosted because there were no real bites, just lots of reads.
    Really, think about it. This scenario would never happen. Either people are interested or they are not. Either they would contact the writer immediately or they would not. They would not suddenly pursue a project they are ho-hum about six months after the fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodi View Post
      Really, think about it. This scenario would never happen.
      Not sure that's true. An actor suddenly expresses an interest in basket weaving, and asks his production company to find him erotic thrillers set in the world of crafts and hobbies. There's a sudden rush on soccer scripts when the USA wins the World Cup.

On second thoughts, maybe you're right.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodi View Post
        Really, think about it. This scenario would never happen. Either people are interested or they are not. Either they would contact the writer immediately or they would not. They would not suddenly pursue a project they are ho-hum about six months after the fact.
        I know it happens, for a variety of reasons. Doesn't even need to be the same person, could be a new exec who isn't ho-hum about the script sitting in a pile left by the last exec.

Call it one month for argument's sake. One month before a writer stops paying, an exec downloads it but doesn't read it right away and other things come up. Once those things are dealt with, the exec (or assistant, whatever) reads it and likes it.
        Vancouver Screenwriters Meetup Group

Comment

Originally posted by ReneC View Post
          Is the writer's contact information provided with the script when it is downloaded? I'm curious what happens if a producer reads a script but doesn't act on it right away, and six months later decides to contact the writer only to find the writer has stopped paying to have it hosted because there were no real bites, just lots of reads.
          Writers should include their contact information on the cover page of the script they submit so that people who read their scripts can get in touch with them, whether immediately or six months after the script has been removed from the site.

We remind writers uploading their scripts about this just before they do.

Comment

Originally posted by karlosd View Post
            Not sure that's true. An actor suddenly expresses an interest in basket weaving, and asks his production company to find him erotic thrillers set in the world of crafts and hobbies. There's a sudden rush on soccer scripts when the USA wins the World Cup.

On second thoughts, maybe you're right.
            For the record, I appreciate the soccer reference. I will state publicly and in any forum that it remains a dream of mine to make the great soccer film. Maybe some day.

The point is moot honestly since the contact info is part of the file that the reader downloads. It does make the argument for keeping the script up though, as preferences in material do change and if a script isn't on the site, it's impossible for a producer, director, actor, whomever to find it if they didn't have it already.

Comment

I notice on your website that you ask for writers with reps to sign up as "industry professionals." Do you consider this service only for unrepped writers, or something which could feasibly benefit repped writers as well? Obviously if you have reps, you shouldn't need this kind of thing...but hypothetically speaking (say if it's something your reps never wanted to go out with, but a personal passion project that you think might generate interest from someone)?

Comment

Franklin -

Thanks for answering all of these zillions of questions.

My only suggestion would be to let people, if they prefer, pay the $50 to get just the first evaluation beforehand, and then decide if they want to pay the $25 to post their script, based on that evaluation. People may still want to join and post without an evaluation. Or they may want to post even if the first evaluation isn't that great, and then pay for another after they join. But I think having that option makes it a little bit more fair for the writer, as well as helping weed out some really bad scripts, which is actually much better for your site's reputation. No? It's a win-win!
                "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by CthulhuRises View Post
                  I notice on your website that you ask for writers with reps to sign up as "industry professionals." Do you consider this service only for unrepped writers, or something which could feasibly benefit repped writers as well? Obviously if you have reps, you shouldn't need this kind of thing...but hypothetically speaking (say if it's something your reps never wanted to go out with, but a personal passion project that you think might generate interest from someone)?
                  We grant access to the industry professional site to represented writers as a courtesy and acknowledgement that what the Black List does most directly affects them. Moreover, we want to provide tools to those writers to take a more active role in their writing careers in concert with the representatives who work with and for them. Also, writers can also be directors and producers and we want to facilitate that work as well.

I do think there is a value in professional writers uploading their scripts to the site. In the coming weeks, we will be adjusting the functionality of the site to accommodate just that (whereas now there are two separate memberships, one that allows unrepped writers to pay to upload their scripts and one that doesn't allow for that.)

If you'd like to do so before we make that an integrated part of our site, feel free to email us at [email protected], and our CTO Dino Sijamic will help you out.

Comment

Originally posted by cshel View Post
                    Franklin -

Thanks for answering all of these zillions of questions.

My only suggestion would be to let people, if they prefer, pay the $50 to get just the first evaluation beforehand, and then decide if they want to pay the $25 to post their script, based on that evaluation. People may still want to join and post without an evaluation. Or they may want to post even if the first evaluation isn't that great, and then pay for another after they join. But I think having that option makes it a little bit more fair for the writer, as well as helping weed out some really bad scripts, which is actually much better for your site's reputation. No? It's a win-win!
                    The suggestion is appreciated, and it's definitely something we'll consider. Needless to say, our current focus is surviving this initial maelstrom and educating people, as much as we can, about exactly what we're doing, how we're doing it, and why we're doing it in that way.

If it makes it easier, feel free to think of our currently pricing model as follows:

$75 for the first evaluation
                    $25 to host the script going forward on a month by month basis
                    $50 for each additional evaluation

Even at that seemingly higher price point, you're getting a lot of good for your money.

Comment

• Re: The New Black List

Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
                      For the record, I appreciate the soccer reference. I will state publicly and in any forum that it remains a dream of mine to make the great soccer film. Maybe some day.
                      Mine too. They screwed-up the George Best film completely. There's a GREAT film to be made about him.

Going off-topic, but nice way to subscribe to a fascinating thread...
                      @MacBullitt

Comment

Sorry, just when I think I'm done...

I get why you would want to let repped writers join and post for free, as a courtesy, and why you would encourage that, to make sure there are some good, professional scripts on your site. That's great. But does that mean they have access to read all of the unrepped writers scripts who have paid to join? Could that be problematic?
                        "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Sorry, just when I think I'm done...

I get why you would want to let repped writers join and post for free, as a courtesy, and why you would encourage that, to make sure there are some good, professional scripts on your site. That's great. But does that mean they have access to read all of the unrepped writers scripts who have paid to join? Could that be problematic?
                          Yes, they would have access to the unrepped writers script. Just as unrepped writers have access to the loglines of both the repped and unrepped writers.

Could you elaborate on why you think that would be problematic?

Comment

Yes, they would have access to the unrepped writers script. Just as unrepped writers have access to the loglines of both the repped and unrepped writers.

That's easy...even I can answer that... Liability!

Comment

Wait, what?! The repped and unrepped writers have access to everyone else's scripts? Or you mean just the loglines? Either way, I don't see what purpose that serves, if the goal is to get reps and prods to look at your stuff. You really don't see how some writers may think that's problematic?

Comment

Wait, what?! The repped and unrepped writers have access to everyone else's scripts? Or you mean just the loglines? Either way, I don't see what purpose that serves, if the goal is to get reps and prods to look at your stuff. You really don't see how some writers may think that's problematic?
                                Industry professional members have access to unrepped writers complete scripts and the loglines of the other titles that are included in our database along with their rep contact information and development/production status. Yes, that includes some professional screenwriters. Many of those professional screenwriters are also producers, directors, etc.

Unrepped writers do not have access to complete scripts. They do however have access to titles, authors, loglines, etc. of the unrepped and the repped titles in our database.

I suspect you're suggesting that professional writers will use the site to find ideas that they could then steal. Obviously, that behavior is explicitly outlawed by our terms of service, and members would be immediately expelled in the event that they were engaged in it. We, moreover, encourage all of our writers to register their scripts with the Guild.

Our community has historically been one that behaves with extraordinary high levels of integrity, and it is curated now to continue that high standard. Ultimately, each writer must make her own decision about how much they fear that threat (which for the record exists with any submission), and the extent to which they're willing to risk it for the opportunity that this initiative presents.

It is my personal belief that that risk is extraordinarily low in the context of our site, and we make every effort to keep it that way.

Comment

Working...
                                X