Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE MIST - Why do people not like it?

Originally posted by LIMAMA View Post
    I didn't like the ending either. The father had gone through so much--they hadn't been out in the world that long, or suffered that much, to do what he did. It rankled me. Still does. And that's why when this movie comes on, we'll watch it--but turn to another channel before that happens.
    Hadn't suffered much? He'd seen his friends and family die. Horrifically so. And when outside the store, found the mist to be everywhere and creatures of proportions they cannot comprehend. They were out of gas and everything they had experienced thus far meant they are unlikely to get more than several metres before being attacked.

As for watching another channel? The mind boggles. Do you do this with every make believe, it's-not-real film that contains actions you wouldn't do yourself? I do not understand where you are coming from.
    Last edited by 1mper1um; 06-15-2011, 05:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1mper1um View Post
      You just explained WHY it's in there. Because it is hypocritical - and an attack of evangelists in real life. This woman, and those like her, are such sheep and easily swayed that they cannot even see their own hypocrisy. Nor the un-Christian act of sending out to die those whose beliefs they cannot tolerate.
      You're assuming quite a bit. How do you know that is what that particular line was meant to convey? I'd have to watch the movie again, but I don't recall much follow up on this hypocrisy or further exploration of this theme.

If there had been further delving on this meme, I'd be with you, but as I recall it's just a throw away line that dangles out there, and, for me, was laughable. The people may be scared and prone to believe the fire and brimstone stuff but to think they've shed all their modern sensibilities so quickly to the point of ignoring one ghastly murder while proclaiming another killing, really and truly, "murder" strikes me as silly.

Perhaps if the woman who uttered it was more of a main character whom we knew it would make more sense--an actual long-time follower of the religious woman. But I think she was kind of an extra, whom we hadn't seen much from before, which made the utterance that more bizarre. Still, I'd have to watch it again. I can't remember if that character was larger than I'm recalling right now.

But that's one nitpicky moment. It wasn't a horrible film, just not that memorable for me, save that line and the fact that monsters the size of Godzilla can't seem to get into the market easily. Close that bay door and that will stop them!
      Quato Lives!

Comment

Originally posted by EddieCoyle View Post
        You're assuming quite a bit. How do you know that is what that particular line was meant to convey? I'd have to watch the movie again, but I don't recall much follow up on this hypocrisy or further exploration of this theme.
        It's the whole concept. That tasty MILF who sent mad and how things pan out. It isn't debated in the film as a theme, it just is, a comment on society by King. Or rather, a comment a) on these evangelist types and b) the fragility and self destructive nature of the human spirit when faced with life or death. King has also expressed this himself but I spotted the theme before I read King's own words.

Comment

Originally posted by EddieCoyle View Post
          save that line and the fact that monsters the size of Godzilla can't seem to get into the market easily. Close that bay door and that will stop them!
          Fair enough. However you're assuming a bit yourself now
          We don't know if they wanted in. We don't know if they had the intelligence to know that there was an "in". The tentacles thing may have "tasted" the steel shutters and the bricks and decided it wasn't food, unaware that food was inside.

Even the bird/bat things - it isn't clear as to whether they were intentionally breaking in or doing what real life bird do and flying into plate glass.

Comment

Originally posted by 1mper1um View Post
            Hadn't suffered much? He'd seen his friends and family die. Horrifically so. And when outside the store, found the mist to be everywhere and creatures of proportions they cannot comprehend. They were out of gas and everything they had experienced thus far meant they are unlikely to get more than several metres before being attacked.

As for watching another channel? The mind boggles. Do you do this with every make believe, it's-not-real film that contains actions you wouldn't do yourself? I do not understand where you are coming from.
            I know. But there you go. I do the same thing with PET SEMATORY. It's the mother in me.
            http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

I both love and hate the ending.

I really like what they're going for, but the execution (sorry bad pun) didn't really work for me.

I like the idea of the father making a terrible choice in order to save his son from a more horrific fate only to find out they could have been saved.

But my problem was that there was no need for him to kill them all at the moment he does so. Why not wait it out a bit? What compelled him to kill at that moment? Nothing.

One should always hang on until it becomes obvious there is no way out of the situation. But in this movie, they get out into the mist for a short time and he decides too quickly to do it. It's human nature to put off having to do something that horrible until he absolutely had to. There was no immediate threat to them at the time he pulled the trigger, which made it ring false and be seen as obviously manipulative - not tragic.

Comment

Kwhit,

As per my previous post, whenever they ventured outside, they were set upon. Either by tentacles, spiders or giant crab things. They'd driven for miles and it was all the same. Now they ran out of gas and that humungous ant thing just walked past them - showing there was no end to the possibilities in the mist. That is why he did it there and then. There was no sign of a let up in the mist, it was everywhere, and once they step out of the car they would be attacked.

Comment

Based on this thread I have just hired and am rewatching it... Someone here owes me a dollar and an hour of my time. Not even sure if I'll reach the end.

Bad Movie! Roll over and play dead!
                  I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Interesting that this thread popped back up again. I was thinking about writing or videotaping about the ending in discussion of theme and character.

I don't think the ending/tragedy was earned. Instead of making the Marcia Gay Harden character a generic religious nut, she could have been used to set up the issue of FAITH. The father's action is sort of incoherent without more setup. With some work, it could have been a character whose fatal flaw was that he didn't have faith... that he was unable to have hope and a vision for any other way out...If that idea had been set up, it could have earned its tragic ending but now it's forced and melodramatic. Or maybe there is another theme/flaw that would have resulted in coherent character orchestration so that we could have understood it in a context. But right now, it's a big MEH. Or Mehss.

Pun aside, it's more of a "Huh?" with a head-scratch.
                    Last edited by Jim Mercurio; 06-20-2011, 04:52 PM. Reason: Cthullu pointed out my actor error

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Mercurio View Post
                      Interesting that this thread popped back up again. I was thinking about writing or videotaping about the ending in discussion of theme and character.

I don't think the ending/tragedy was earned. Instead of making the KAthy BAtes a generic religious nut, she could have been used to set up the issue of FAITH. The father's action is sort of incoherent without more setup. With some work, it could have been a character whose fatal flaw was that he didn't have faith... that he was unable to have hope and a vision for any other way out...If that idea had been set up, it could have earned its tragic ending but now it's forced and melodramatic. Or maybe there is another theme/flaw that would have resulted in coherent character orchestration so that we could have understood it in a context. But right now, it's a big MEH. Or Mehss.

Pun aside, it's more of a "Huh?" with a head-scratch.
                      That was Marcia Gay Harden, not Kathy Bates.

Comment

Originally posted by CthulhuRises View Post
                        That was Marcia Gay Harden, not Kathy Bates.
                        My bad. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post
                          Based on this thread I have just hired and am rewatching it... Someone here owes me a dollar and an hour of my time. Not even sure if I'll reach the end.

Bad Movie! Roll over and play dead!
                          So, what was it about the film you didn't like? Or don't like? (I take it you watched it all?)

Good to hear people's opinions, both for and against it. Much better than just "It's good" or "It sucks".

For me, I liked it, particularly the social disintegration within the supermarket. A great example of how impossible it is for our race to band together and pull through a catastrophic event, thanks to religion and politics.

Thanks everyone for posting.

Comment

Working...
                          X