No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Identity Thief

Originally posted by nativeson View Post
    Enjoyed the movie. I'm happy the antagonist changed. Beyond the waterworks scene -- which was very good -- it was heartwarming that she chose to turn herself in even though she knew she didn't have to.
    Whoa, dude. The movie just opened. At the very least, you could issue a spoiler alert before revealing the ending.
    "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

I generally agree...but do you really think a major studio would let this hit the screens without redemption for that character? I'm a cynic and even I'd be honked if they didn't.
      "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by cshel View Post
        Whoa, dude. The movie just opened. At the very least, you could issue a spoiler alert before revealing the ending.
        no kidding... wow.
        " Don't really like writing. But I do like having written." Vince Gilligan, Breaking Bad.

Comment

Originally posted by tucsonray View Post
          As noted previously, you are what the box office says you are, and per Box Office Mojo, Identity Thief Domestic Total as of Feb. 10, 2013: $36,593,000.

Next case.
          That's fantastic. And I think indicative of what Emily said. In the podcasts, you could hear the excitement behind Craig's voice and it's clear that it translated to the page.

Comment

Originally posted by nativeson View Post
            Enjoyed the movie. I'm happy the antagonist changed. Beyond the waterworks scene -- which was very good -- it was heartwarming that she chose to turn herself in even though she knew she didn't have to.

My milkshake is betta dan yours.... (can't get that outta my head)
            thanks, now I don't have buy a ticket.

Comment

Glad to see Craig get serious success in his own right and not having to deal with other's characters and expectations.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
                I generally agree...but do you really think a major studio would let this hit the screens without redemption for that character? I'm a cynic and even I'd be honked if they didn't.
                It's so heartwarming to see a character redeemed at the tax payer's expense (Note the A+). Call me a cynic too

But really, it was great (Dogpile or not)

Comment

Originally posted by jboffer View Post
                  No... it is.

Try finding one person who will laugh at all of:

The Big Bang Theory
                  Two and a Half Men
                  How I Met Your Mother
                  Community
                  Parks & Rec
                  30 Rock
                  Curb Your Enthusiasm
                  East Bound & Down
                  Archer
                  The League
                  Always Sunny in Philadelphia
                  Wilfred
                  Modern Family
                  Happy Endings
                  Two Broke Girls
                  New Girl
                  South Park
                  Family Guy
                  Futurama
                  The Simpsons
                  Etc.

Think of just how much variety there is in TV land. There are lots of comedy niches. But when you make a feature, suddenly you're trying to capture everyone. Think any one of those shows captures everyone? No. I think the highest rated are the three I put first (or close to), which are the "broadest," but they're my least favorite.

I'm taking this test.

The Big Bang Theory - some lols
                  Two and a Half Men - not so much
                  How I Met Your Mother - more lols than TBBT
                  Community - some lols
                  Parks & Rec - some lols
                  30 Rock - some lols
                  Curb Your Enthusiasm lols and some effing lols
                  East Bound & Down - some lols
                  Archer - some lols
                  The League - haven't seen it
                  Always Sunny in Philadelphia - lols
                  Wilfred - caught one episode -
                  Modern Family - some lols
                  Happy Endings - haven't watched it
                  Two Broke Girls - watched it by accident
                  New Girl - caught an episode - not my thing
                  South Park - lols and effing lols
                  Family Guy - lols and effing lols
                  Futurama - not my thing
                  The Simpsons - lols for 1992 thru 1998 seasons

Comedy is subjective.

I will see Identity Thief.

But more importantly CONGRATS CRAIG!!! Strong opening weekend.
                  #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

Congrats Craig. You deserve the success. And thanks for your contributions to the writing community. Your Podcasts and thoughts have helped me become a better writer. Wish you more success in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Ire View Post
                      I'm taking this test.

The Big Bang Theory - some lols
                      Two and a Half Men - not so much
                      How I Met Your Mother - more lols than TBBT
                      Community - some lols
                      Parks & Rec - some lols
                      30 Rock - some lols
                      Curb Your Enthusiasm lols and some effing lols
                      East Bound & Down - some lols
                      Archer - some lols
                      The League - haven't seen it
                      Always Sunny in Philadelphia - lols
                      Wilfred - caught one episode -
                      Modern Family - some lols
                      Happy Endings - haven't watched it
                      Two Broke Girls - watched it by accident
                      New Girl - caught an episode - not my thing
                      South Park - lols and effing lols
                      Family Guy - lols and effing lols
                      Futurama - not my thing
                      The Simpsons - lols for 1992 thru 1998 seasons

Comedy is subjective.

I will see Identity Thief.

But more importantly CONGRATS CRAIG!!! Strong opening weekend.
                      Are you - Male? Straight? Single? And hot? If so, I want to meet you. We have the *SAME* sense of humor. ;-)

All kidding aside, the only thing I would alter for myself is Wilfred - I've watched the entirety of the Australian series it was based on it and would give that version an 'effing lol.'

Oh, and Congrats to Craig!

Comment

Originally posted by lostfootage View Post
                        Are you - Male? Straight? Single? And hot? If so, I want to meet you. We have the *SAME* sense of humor. ;-)

All kidding aside, the only thing I would alter for myself is Wilfred - I've watched the entirety of the Australian series it was based on it and would give that version an 'effing lol.'

Oh, and Congrats to Craig!
                        Male, straight. I've correlated my hotness to how many tequila shots a woman has had and how late into the evening it is. By 2 or 3 in the morning I'm Ryan Gosling, but with darker hair.
                        Last edited by Ire; 02-12-2013, 10:05 PM.
                        #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

Mother****ing Nativeson and TBEagle

SPOILERS GOD DAMN IT

SPOILERS

Comment

Originally posted by Ire View Post
                            Male, straight. I've correlated my hotness to how many tequila shots a woman has had and how late into the evening it is. By 2 or 3 in the morning I'm Ryan Gosling, but with darker hair.
                            Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
                              I'm sorry, but Craig puts in a lot of time helping here. This kind of malicious cvntiness depresses me.
                              Sorry to butt in Jeff, but I disagree with your statement. First of all, Mazin got paid. We're not judging his existence or his DNA. Mazin is doing just fine I'm sure.

Jeff, I think everyone on DDP has a right to an opinion without punishment. I have not seen this film, but whether I like it or not has no reflection on the human beings working behind the scenes of a movie. If someone told me the film is bad, I would tend to believe them since the person gains no advantage by sharing that opinion.

Now for the record, I recall Mazin slandering me for just leaving a harmless comment here, unprovoked. And from what I have seen in other threads, I am not the only one. So as much as Mazin is helpful to some, he has acted like a bully to others in this forum. But my opinion ends there. Like I said, I never met this man.

I'm not picking a fight, but lets drop the BS. I agree, Writing and Producing a film is a huge endeavor and Mazin deserves recognition for all the hard work he put into this film. But the accolades stop there. You can't force me or anyone else into liking something, and you have no right to squelch their ill opinions.

And the same goes for all of us. I understand where you come from, Jeff. You disagree with the hearsay. But where is there not hearsay?

If someone has an opinion, we agree or disagree. That's all it means. I have not seen this movie, so I can't comment on it. Honestly, out of respect for another filmmaker, I probably would not criticize his film here even if I did see it. It's too close to home and it's not helpful or constructive.

I think everyone should divert from this film's quality of box office and criticism, and embrace the tenacity it took to get this film made and onto screens. That's a success by itself.
                              Last edited by ToddC; 02-14-2013, 05:30 AM.
                              Being a screenwriter is not enough for a full creative life. ~ William Goldman

homeslice

Comment

Originally posted by ToddC View Post
                                Sorry to butt in Jeff, but I disagree with your statement. First of all, Mazin got paid. We're not judging his existence or his DNA. Mazin is doing just fine I'm sure.

Jeff, I think everyone on DDP has a right to an opinion without punishment. I have not seen this film, but whether I like it or not has no reflection on the human beings working behind the scenes of a movie. If someone told me the film is bad, I would tend to believe them since the person gains no advantage by sharing that opinion.

Now for the record, I recall Mazin slandering me for just leaving a harmless comment here, unprovoked. And from what I have seen in other threads, I am not the only one. So as much as Mazin is helpful to some, he has acted like a bully to others in this forum. But my opinion ends there. Like I said, I never met this man.

I'm not picking a fight, but lets drop the BS. I agree, Writing and Producing a film is a huge endeavor and Mazin deserves recognition for all the hard work he put into this film. But the accolades stop there. You can't force me or anyone else into liking something, and you have no right to squelch their ill opinions.

And the same goes for all of us. I understand where you come from, Jeff. You disagree with the hearsay. But where is there not hearsay?

If someone has an opinion, we agree or disagree. That's all it means. I have not seen this movie, so I can't comment on it. Honestly, out of respect for another filmmaker, I probably would not criticize his film here even if I did see it. It's too close to home and it's not helpful or constructive.

I think everyone should divert from this film's quality of box office and criticism, and embrace the tenacity it took to get this film made and onto screens. That's a success by itself.
                                First, I think that Lowell was taking issue with people trashing a film they haven't seen, that is the "cuntiness" of which he speaks, I believe. And I think he's right.

Second, Mazin "slandered" you? Come on.

Comment

Working...
                                X