Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you give me some creative help?

Hello everyone, I am a film student trying to come up with an idea for a short film (3 - 5 minutes long). I do not have much experience writing scripts and I've always seen myself more as the technical guy rather than the creative one (I want to be a cinematographer). I am having a lot of difficulty coming up with an initial idea to start developing this short. Can some of you beautiful creative people help me out? Just throw me some ideas of events or situations that could be developed into a short, some characters that are intriguing, or anything you think would be cool to talk about. There are no rules for this short, even though I love and prefer the horror genre, it can be about anything or any genre. Could you help me out?

I would be forever grateful!

Thank you

Re: Can you give me some creative help?

Since it's for film school, pick a horror movie you love and make a fan film. My mind goes to horror/comedy...

Michael Myers on his day off.
    Jason when it's Friday the 12th.
    Freddy -- what does he dream about?

But in other words, if you're trying to show off your technical side, than try "homage" to horror stuff you love.

However, the easier thing to do is ask a writer friend to write a short you can film. Or someone on here.

Comment

No... I refuse.

Here's why...

It'll only hurt you. IMO

You have an opportunity to do whatever YOU want. Don't waste this opportunity IMO. Some may give you the advice of "Find a fellow student screenwriter." Personally, I disagree with that advice.

Here's why...

You may end up wanting to be a writer/director and this is a chance to fail and get one more step outta your way. Try it at least once so that you have a better understanding of it, if nothing else. It's one more tool in your tool belt.

You have you genre --> HOROR. Cool! Now ask yourself "What situation would terrify me the most? And WHY?" Don't try to scare US, try to scare YOURSELF!

And if writing dialogue scares you, use mostly imagery to tell your story. A QUIET PLACE did that to great effect. Your script could be 3 lines of dialogue.

Good luck!
      Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

It seems that the thing that scares them most is writing! Boo ha ha....

Comment

Watch award-winning shorts on Youtube. "Lights out" (short, not the feature) etc. You don't need dialogue at all.

You're a cinematographer, think of something cool and visual. What scares you/freaks you out? Film that. For me it's fruit on pizza, but go with whatever keeps you up at night.

Comment

Originally posted by gpedro153 View Post
            Hello everyone, I am a film student trying to come up with an idea for a short film (3 - 5 minutes long). I do not have much experience writing scripts and I've always seen myself more as the technical guy rather than the creative one (I want to be a cinematographer). I am having a lot of difficulty coming up with an initial idea to start developing this short. Can some of you beautiful creative people help me out? Just throw me some ideas of events or situations that could be developed into a short, some characters that are intriguing, or anything you think would be cool to talk about. There are no rules for this short, even though I love and prefer the horror genre, it can be about anything or any genre. Could you help me out?

I would be forever grateful!

Thank you
            How about the story of a visually blind cinematographer?

Comment

Hey,

I feel you. You're a college student who never entertained the idea of being a writer, and now you're confronted with having to write a short script, not necessarily an easy task, in a short period of time. Here are few suggestions, most of which might not be news to you but hopefully some of it will be helpfull.
              • Learn about story. Here's a link to Dan Harmon's Story Wheel. You can also do a search and find other videos along the same line.
              • Write to what you have. Locations, props, actors, equipment, etc.
              • Explore your biggest fears and fantasies, and see what ideas those bring to mind.

Best of luck,
              Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

-Steve Trautmann
              3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast

Comment

Hey there. My only suggestion, or I guess what I would do if I was your age and in film school, would be to take advantage of all the professors and their expertise. So often when we're in school we kind of just want to go to class, do our work, and go home/party/whatever. And when you get older, asking people for advice or help becomes more challenging, sometimes people are less willing. But professors truly want to help their students.

If I was in film school (I'd be doing screenwriting), I would try and get the most out of it in that respect. Because you may never get that type of mentorship again.

Best of luck.

Comment

Working...
                X