View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 02:07 PM   #7
SoCalScribe

Default Re: Production Co. responded to my query...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juno Styles View Post
SoCalScribe - you asked me in one of my threads similar to this one "Why is the producer asking you about budget? Isn't that his job?" I'm wondering why the prod company in this case is asking him for budget, setting and backdrop - all questions that can be answered by just reading the full synopsis or script?

nightcrawler could easily spit out some random budget estimation number and be $10 million over or under what it really costs. being as he's head of production he should be able to gage all that himself. \_(ツ)_/

UPDATE: I just searched through and found that other thread.

For me, the questions Nightcrawler was asked (setting, estimated budget, etc.) sounded to me like someone trying to get a general feel for the project... is it feasible to shoot based on their capabilities, does it fall within their business model, etc. Which is a perfectly acceptable issue to try and resolve before you read a script.

In your thread, the question asked of you was:

Quote:
Can it be made for a $2 million dollar budget without compromising the creative?
Again, for me, the question you were asked (can it be made for a specific budget number without compromising the creative) is something that isn't an assessment of the project's particulars as much as asking you to make assertions about the project's financial viability. What does "without compromising the creative" even mean? Is he asking if the script, if shot page for page, as is, can be made for two million bucks? But what if he wants to make changes? Are you prepared to guarantee the project can and always will be able to be made for $2M regardless of whatever creative vision he may be trying to execute?

The reason I said, "isn't that his job" in my response in your thread was because I took particular issue with the "without compromising the creative" tag. If it's solely a question of "Can this movie be made for $2M?" and you're relatively sure it can, there's nothing wrong with saying, "As written, yes, I think it could be made around that budget." But "without compromising the creative" is a loaded question, because you - as the writer - have no idea what production considerations are going to come up... including this producer's own ideas about how to produce it!

As I mentioned in my earlier reply, there's nothing wrong with talking about the budget of your project in general terms, especially if the producer or company is trying to assess if your script fits in their mold. But - and maybe it's just based on the way I read the question - your situation seemed an awful lot like them asking you to make absolute assertions about the financial terms of the potential production. And that's the producer's job.

Hope this clarifies.
SoCalScribe is offline   Reply With Quote