View Single Post
Old 09-09-2017, 12:58 AM   #6
Mark Somers

Default Re: Entries - Dog Days of Summer

Code:
Summer Daze ( 2 of 2 ) The WOMAN yells out “LITTLE CUTIE.” A huge rottweiler plods into the room. WOMAN LITTLE CUTIE doesn't like bullies, do you LITTLE CUTIE... LITTLE CUTIE growls. His head is the size of...the man begins backing up toward the door. WOMAN I'll call you in a half-hour. BOBBY DAZE **** you. WOMAN LITTLE CUTIE hates bad language. BOBBY DAZE, now at the door, pulls a lock-blade knife from his back pocket and opens it. BOBBY DAZE That dog tries to bite me and I'll gut it. The dog growls louder and approaches him. BOBBY DAZE I mean it! WOMAN The door locked automatically when we came in here. You need a key (she holds up the key) to open it. So you said you chain your dog, and you don't feed him much most of the time...he is skinny, and you would not believe how much food he ate once he was brought in here. He has fleas. Sores. I'd bet my wide bottom dollar he has worms. I've invented a system to turn bad pet owners into good ones. The WOMAN points at an empty cage, about four feet by four feet. WOMAN Get in. BOBBY DAZE You're crazy, lady! You're crazy! BOBBY DAZE keeps both eyes on the rottweiler and pulls and pushes on the door right behind him. It is a steel door. It will not open. WOMAN Get in. Just for a bit. Nothing like what you've put your dog through, of course. Just a taste of the life you make him live every single day. Call it...a crash course in pet owner training. BOBBY DAZE I'm not ****ing getting in that cage, you crazy bitch! WOMAN Drop the knife. BOBBY DAZE shakes his head. He is crying now. LITTLE CUTIE begins barking and lunges at him. He drops the knife. WOMAN (calmly)) Cage, LITTLE CUTIE. Cage. LITTLE CUTIE jumps up to grab BOBBY DAZE by the shoulder but he leaps into the safety of the cage and shuts the door. She removes a padlock and places it on the door. She goes to a knee. WOMAN You see the chain behind you...place the collar around your neck and close the small padlock. BOBBY DAZE You should be in an insane asylum! The woman pulls a can of pepper spray from its small holster on her belt. WOMAN Do you know what this is? BOBBY DAZE Wipes his eyes and nose on his sleeve. He draws back from what is in her hand. WOMAN Yes. Pepper spray. And I will spray you if you don't place the collar around your neck and lock it. The WOMAN goes to a sink and fills a dirty bowl with water. Then she empties a can of dogfood into another dirty bowl. She opens a very small gate where the bowls barely fit through into the cage. WOMAN This is your food and water for the next three days. BOBBY DAZE You're dead, lady! You're dead! WOMAN Oh bark all you want to. Nobody can hear you, anyway. The woman turns on light switches. BOBBY DAZE squints with all of the bright lights on. He sees movements in large cages all around him. Naked people with collars and chains around their necks are in the cages. They look like they would eat him, if given the chance. One man with white hair and no teeth asks if he will throw some of his food through his cage into his cage. BOBBY DAZE turns back to the woman. She smiles at him. The WOMAN walks toward DOG DAZE's cage. Unlocks it. WOMAN Come here, sugar. The dog walks out of the cage on wobbly legs. WOMAN That mean man won't hurt you anymore. I won't let him. Then she unlocks the cages of his friends. The BIG STRANGE- LOOKING DOG pees on BOBBY DAZE's cage, soaking him. Then TERRIER lifts his leg and tries to do the same. WOMAN unlocks the steel door, steps into the hall, and before the door closes and BOBBY DAZE hears it lock, she turns off all the lights. It is pitch black. BOBBY DAZE screams. The others scream with him. They sound like dogs in a kennel. DOG pants. After a few moments, the door opens and the lights come back on. BOBBY DAZE stops screaming and squints. DOG is at his cage, pawing at the door of it. WOMAN I speak dog, you know, as well as cat, and I am learning horse. Your dog feels sorry for you and wants me to release you into his care. You will take good care of him now, won't you? BOBBY DAZE nods. He looks around. The human cages are now empty.
Mark Somers is offline   Reply With Quote