Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fav stand up comedians...

OK, minus Eddie Murphy, Carlin, Rock, Seinfeld, Chapelle, Pryor.. etc.

I'm interested to know who your favorites are, outside of the obvious.

Ok, so i renamed the thread. doesn't have to be 5, sh*t i can't even think of 3.
    Last edited by Paradis; 03-24-2011, 02:04 PM.

Re: Top 5 stand up comedians...

Well, since you're including vintage/dead guys, then Flip Wilson. Here's his "Ugly Baby" routine.

I'll ponder 'bout the rest. For me, it's like "Your favorite music?" So many genres. I mean, sometimes Lisa Lampanelli would make my list.

Add-on: If you watch the Flip Wilson clip, be sure to catch Carson's comment/assessment at the end.
    Last edited by Manchester; 03-24-2011, 02:34 PM. Reason: addendum

Comment

1. Pablo Francisco
      2. Daniel Tosh
      3. Jim Gaffigan
      4. Maria Bamford
      5. Jon Stewart (last bit of his I saw I laughed my ass off)
      "All of us trying to be the camera behind the camera behind the camera. The last story in line. The Truth" Chuck Palahniuk - Haunted

Comment

Russel Peters is definitely up there. Aziz Ansari is pretty funny but I've only seen one routine by him and I've seen his show on comedy central and as a guest appearance on Jimmy Kimmel. (That's annoying isn't it? When they interview a comedian on a talk show and they pretend like they're having a conversation but all the host is doing is setting up the jokes for the comedian.)

I can't think of any more big name Indian comedians(I know Aziz is Tamil) but I see a strange amount of Indian comedians on Comedy Central and at comedy clubs. It's weird the only place I ever encounter Indians in my life is as comedians and at the doctor's office.

Gabriel Iglesias is pretty hilarious and his jolly pudgy loveability is such a contrast to all the depressing as **** comedians always complaining about their ex-wife.

I didn't much care for the Sarah Silverman show but she's pretty funny in her stand up and in interviews.

I'll second Daniel Tosh too.

Seems like I see alot of comedians who mix music with comedy for their routine the most note worthy being being Reggie Watts. Tim Minchin's another weird looking comedic musician that's pretty funny. On the spoken word over music category I like Demitri Martin and Nick Thune.

Those are just the names I can think of off the top of my head but I've seen some random standup routines on Comedy Central that were pretty hilarious but I can't remember their names.

Comment

Originally posted by Kermet Key View Post
          1. Pablo Francisco
          2. Daniel Tosh
          3. Jim Gaffigan
          4. Maria Bamford
          5. Jon Stewart (last bit of his I saw I laughed my ass off)
          Agree.
          I was a fan of Jon Stewart's stand-up before he got the Daily Show.
          Jim Gaffigan and Daniel Tosh are favorites of mine, too.
          I've not heard of your other two choices, that I can remember.
          I'll add Sarah Silverman and Chelsea Handler to represent the ladies (I use the term loosely). They do stand-up, too.

ETA: OMG - how could I forget Ricky Gervais and Lewis Black and Ellen DeGeneres?!! Love them. Too hard to pick only 5.
          Last edited by cshel; 03-25-2011, 09:31 PM. Reason: Add
          "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Joel McHale and Eddie Izzard are my favorites.
            Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Re: Fav stand up comedians...

A British dude, Ross Noble brings lunacy to a fine art
              I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cshel View Post
                Agree.
                I was a fan of Jon Stewart's stand-up before he got the Daily Show.
                Jim Gaffigan and Daniel Tosh are favorites of mine, too.
                I've not heard of your other two choices, that I can remember.
                I'll add Sarah Silverman and Chelsea Handler to represent the ladies (I use the term loosely). They do stand-up, too.

ETA: OMG - how could I forget Ricky Gervais and Ellen DeGeneres?!! Love them. Too hard to pick only 5.
                Pablo Francisco
                and
                Maria Bamford

Sarah is so hit and miss with me. Chelsea would make the top 10.
                "All of us trying to be the camera behind the camera behind the camera. The last story in line. The Truth" Chuck Palahniuk - Haunted

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
                  Joel McHale and Eddie Izzard are my favorites.
                  Joel is top 10 just from The Soup.

Comment

Gaffigan should get his own show.
                    "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                    - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Rodney Dangerfield fo sho
                      Originally posted by Great White Mark
                      Film is art? Just a tip, it's called show business, not show art.

Comment

I was actually watching the night Steven Wright made his debut. Usually they shuffle comedians off at the end, so when Johnny invited him to the couch, you could tell Steven was in a near panic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgGCwmhfwxw

And showing my age, Bob Newhart's "The button downed mind of Bob Newhart" was the hightest selling comedy album until Steve Martin's debut, and for very good reasons.

Midnite

Comment

Lewis Black
                          Mitch Hedberg
                          Ricky Gervais
                          Ellen DeGeneres
                          Robin Williams

Damn this was hard. I just had to mix it up but Bamford, HotPockets, Wright, all these guys are hilarious. I'd even throw Russell Brand in the mix... well, yeah why not.

Comment

Bill Hicks

Comment

One guy that made me chuckle quite a bit was Jim Jeffries.

his bit on sluts and studs.. gold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jaiM...eature=related

Comment

Working...
                              X