X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wrinkle in Time

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
    I marvel at the thought that if a writer/director/studio decides to adapt a popular book to a screenplay story that's so far from its original thrust and premise that instead why don't they just write a whole new story altogether, “the same thing, only different,” as the saying goes?
    Because the executives are terrified of anything that's not pre-branded. Original ideas are considered a liability at this point (I don't believe they should be, but my opinions don't really matter).

I haven't seen any of Ava DuVernay's movies (not my cup of java), but I do admire what she's doing, and I like the way she talks about inclusion without ever resorting to antagonizing or insulting and demeaning the people who may not agree with everything she says.

She realizes that real and meaningful change will only occur when everyone realizes that we're all in this thing together (as opposed to the divisive rhetoric of some self-styled activists, eg. "Don't worry, all the bad old white people will be dead soon").

I love the fact that she said no to both directing Black Panther and a Star Wars movie (by the way, who would even want to work for Disney? It seems like all they do is fire directors, and they don't even pay that well. Does anybody get points besides Downey?).

All of this nonsense about diversity and imaginary racist boogeymen is a smokescreen, behind which is hidden the only real disparity that means anything-- which is of course, wealth inequality.

The only true path to wealth that there has ever been is to be a creator of something. To own a copyright or a patent. America is the only country in the world where a nobody can accumulate real power and wealth because they had an idea (examples of this would be the (white) guys who started Marvel and the (white) guys who started Pixar and the (white) guys who started Lucasfilm). Heck, even non-resident aliens like JK Rowling can succeed here.

So it's a little disappointing that Ava did an adaptation, or even did a movie with Disney at all, since they are no longer interested in original ideas (I guess at some point you start hurting your career by saying no to big offers).

Everybody is celebrating the fact that Black Panther is one of the highest grossing movies of all time, but the only people benefiting from it are the (mostly white) stockholders of Disney (and the fact that Rupert Murdoch is now the single biggest individual shareholder is ironic in a big-ly way).

Anyway, that was all a long way around of saying that just because I think that marginalized people should stop re-making established IP does not mean that I am 'angry' or accusing them of appropriation.

I should not be afraid to ask where all the diverse creators are.
    Last edited by kintnerboy; 03-17-2018, 06:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post
      Because the executives are terrified of anything that's not pre-branded.
      Having so often come away from a movie theater thinking, “Oh, darn! It was almost good!” and with all the attempts to spin existing IP straw into box office gold instead of filming original material (id est, original screenplays), it makes me consider that this “pre-branded” business model and/or studio edict must be true.

In the good old days, a horse was a horse (of course, of course) and you rode the horse the entire race right to the finish line, which was the Oscars. Nowadays, all too often a studio buys a horse, convenes a committee of executives to “design it better,” and comes up with a camel. The only question at the table would be, “Will that be one hump or two?”
      Last edited by Clint Hill; 03-17-2018, 12:34 PM.
      “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
        By now, having so often come away from a movie theater thinking, "Oh, darn! It was almost good!- I have to consider that this "pre-branded- business model and/or studio edict must be true.

In the good old days, a horse was a horse (of course, of course). Nowadays, all too often the studio takes a horse, convenes a committee of executives to "design it better,- and comes up with a camel.
        I can live with a camel. My problem is when they have a horse to begin with and the committee barfs out a stinkbeetle. I love the book Wrinkle in Time. I read it to my kids. What was on the screen wasn't anything close to that book. Forget any changes to the ethnicity of characters, that's meaningless. Those are casting choices. My problem was story. What I read versus what I saw.

Comment

Originally posted by EdFury View Post
          I can live with a camel. My problem is when they have a horse to begin with and the committee barfs out a stinkbeetle. I love the book Wrinkle in Time. I read it to my kids. What was on the screen wasn't anything close to that book. Forget any changes to the ethnicity of characters, that's meaningless. Those are casting choices. My problem was story. What I read versus what I saw.
          Thanks for commenting, Ed. You appear to be the only person on here who's both read the book and seen the movie, so your opinion has more weight.
          "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Originally posted by ChadStrohl View Post
            "People are more motivated to see movies when they see people who look like them on screen"? Wow. Just... wow.
            I guess I'm too stupid to know that Morgan Freeman, Will Smith, Denzel Washington and Wesley Snipes are black because they're four of my favorite actors. And they look EXACTLY like me, except for the fact that I'm old, fat, slow and white ... and they're not. It's too bad cranks (take your bows UpandComing) can't take a look at reality and instead rely on on the regurgitated BS fellow cranks like to spew.
            STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
              StoryWriter kept saying that a few ethnic/gender changes in a movie was "beating people over the head with a sledgehammer."
              And he's exactly right. Disney took a story and morphed it into BS propaganda. And it appears to be tanking at the box office. Good.
              STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by TheConnorNoden View Post
                Are you all going to do this every time a film has more than two black people?
                Are you going to constantly come up with lying straw men? I guess so.

Comment

Originally posted by Centos View Post
                  And he's exactly right. Disney took a story and morphed it into BS propaganda. And it appears to be tanking at the box office. Good.
                  It appears you are unable to respond to an argument using actual points/logic, so you've resorted to repeating the same emotion-driven charges. Too bad, writers are supposed to be sharper than that.

BTW, Ava just got a huge new gig directing "New Gods." Good, indeed.

And they look EXACTLY like me, except for the fact that I'm old, fat, slow
                  So that's why you're so bitter. You should take a break from embarrassing yourself on here and go back to watching Fox News.

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
                    It appears you are unable to respond to an argument using actual points/logic, ...
                    When I find you using logic (instead of parroting the BS you've heard) I'll be glad to respond to it. Meanwhile I'm not wasting my time indulging a crank. I've tried that in other forums and I discovered I had a life (unlike the cranks).

Comment

When I find you using logic (instead of parroting the BS you've heard) I'll be glad to respond to it. Meanwhile I'm not wasting my time indulging a crank. I've tried that in other forums and I discovered I had a life (unlike the cranks).
                      I'm glad I don't have the life of someone who gets so worked up over the idea of kids of color at the center of a movie where race is not even central that he calls it "BS propaganda." That's a pretty sad life.

Comment

This stopped being about the movie a long time ago. Time to wrap it up.

Comment

Working...
                        X