Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Script Pipeline Screenwriting Competition

Is this worth the entry fee? The winner wins $25,000, so, obviously, it would be financially worth it if you were to win, but is the exposure they get you significant/worth it?

https://writers.coverfly.com/competi...-screenwriting

Re: The Script Pipeline Screenwriting Competition

Anyone entered before? Know anything about outcomes? The early deadline just passed, another one in two weeks.

Comment

As with all screenwriting competitions, “You pays your money and you takes your chances.” If your Shakespearean-style drama falls into the hands of a World of Warcraft-type script reader, then kiss your entry fee goodbye. However, if your Corinthian bagatelle luck is good and the gods of Pachinko will your balls to fall into the right catchers, you may win a payoff.
      “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Just looking for experiences and some consensus about some of these lesser known ones. For instance, there seems to be people backing up PAGE as a well-run competition that can lead to good outcomes. And Austin the same.

The rest of these are

Big promises, but who knows how they're run. And honestly, I'd rather end up with serious contacts to getting produced than 25k, but that's me.

Comment

Yes, it must be Springtime and the contest holders figure all the unproduced and unoptioned writers out there are a little lightheaded.

All we hear from them is how much money they're offering (for one lucky winner among many thousands of submissions), and maybe the names of the big-wigs who're reading the "finalists".

But what about the slugs who're reading the initial thousands?

Why I don't play the contest thing any more

Every contest needs to post a statement up-front that their readers can NOT and are NOT entering into the very same contest. I mean, your average cereal box game states as much: "Employees, contractors and families thereof are ineligible to join the contest."

Comment

This is one of very few competitions I'd recommend, only because I won one of their contests a few years ago and the guys at Script Pipeline continued to send my material to reps and producers for YEARS.

I wouldn't say that reaching the QFs would move the needle in the way that the Nicholl Fellowships can, but if they like your material, they'll promote it even if you aren't a big winner.

I also believe they make a good faith effort to find competent readers, as opposed to a comp like Bluecat which posts on Craigslist to find readers who will work for 10 bucks a script, or Scriptapalooza which supposedly dumps scripts on prodcos with no guarantee that any script is ever read (Chris Lockhart described this practice here years ago, no idea if that is still their M.O.).

Comment

I entered this contest. Looking at the announcement dates on this one vs. all other ones, wondering how is their breakneck speed possible? The deadline is just ending, but they already plan quarterfinal announcements in two weeks. Semifinal announcements a week later.

How can they possibly go through all the material that quickly?

Comment

got this email from script pipeline. hope they don't mind if i post it.

2020 Screenwriting and TV Writing Entrants,

We wanted to notify you of slightly adjusted announcement dates for the
                Screenwriting
                and
                TV Writing
                Competitions:

Quarterfinalists - June 20th
                Semifinalists - July 1st
                Finalists - July 10th

Winners of both competitions will still be announced on Sunday, July 27th.

We typically hold a live event in Los Angeles where we announce the winners. However, given the current pandemic interrupting travel, we instead plan on hosting another (bigger) event for 2020 Script Pipeline finalists, winners, and other select writers in the Fall. At least. . . that's the goal for now.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

The Script Pipeline Team

Comment

Originally posted by Merrick View Post
                  I entered this contest. Looking at the announcement dates on this one vs. all other ones, wondering how is their breakneck speed possible? The deadline is just ending, but they already plan quarterfinal announcements in two weeks. Semifinal announcements a week later.

How can they possibly go through all the material that quickly?

Do you think they read through the entire script? Or maybe first 10, then skim. I'm not as familiar with this contest.

Comment

To be honest - no. They said it was a record-breaking year with over 10000 scripts. It's impossible to read and review that many in 15-20 days without a massive staff. It doesn't help that they don't post their review process publicly.

They announced their quarterfinalists (top 1%). I didn't make the cut, but I wasn't disappointed at all. I looked up loglines on several of them that advanced. Many of them were winners (even winning scripts) from previous years, so I have a hard time believing this is done anonymously ... and the loglines really did not interest me.

So, I wouldn't enter this one again. More curious to see how I place in the competitions that take their time like Nicholl, Austin, Page, etc.
                    Last edited by Merrick; 06-21-2020, 01:05 AM.

Comment

To be honest - no. They said it was a record-breaking year with over 10000 scripts. It's impossible to read and review that many in 15-20 days without a massive staff. It doesn't help that they don't post their review process publicly.

They announced their quarterfinalists (top 1%). I didn't make the cut, but I wasn't disappointed at all. I looked up loglines on several of them that advanced. Many of them were winners (even winning scripts) from previous years, so I have a hard time believing this is done anonymously ... and the loglines really did not interest me.

So, I wouldn't enter this one again. More curious to see how I place in the competitions that take their time like Nicholl, Austin, Page, etc.

We all know about Nicholl, and I have no idea about Page...but I wouldn't be so quick to say Script Pipeline is in any way worse than AFF. I have inside knowledge of both. I'd way rather enter the former, even given your assessment (not saying it's true, just saying even with that...).

Comment

Many of them were winners (even winning scripts) from previous years, so I have a hard time believing this is done anonymously ... and the loglines really did not interest me.
                        Maybe the fact that those writers and scripts were really, really good which is why they progressed again this year? It's far more plausible that talent is why some made the cut and others didn't.

I could be wrong but didn't you recently say you won't post your pages on here? If so, do you really think you're ready for competitions?
                        Last edited by SundownInRetreat; 06-21-2020, 01:37 PM.
                        M.A.G.A.

Comment

Hernan, of course it's all what I gather from in front of the scenes. PAGE at least posts their basic criteria for advancement. Sundance lab also has an interesting system. Perhaps you're right about Austin, they don't post their judging criteria if I remember right. I just know they have a very good reputation.

For Pipeline, it looked to me like they judge by logline or possibly first few pages for most of them. It couldn't be possible to read and review all the scripts in that timeline and whittle it down to 1%. That wouldn't be an issue if they posted as such in their criteria, and in that case, the entry fee should be lower imo.

Sundown, I never said anything like that. But in these threads, people are talking about the competitions and not me. So ... why are you trying to make it about me? Seems you're trying to insinuate my writing sucks in multiple threads here. Is that really your business? I don't ever remember speaking with you before.

Comment

Sundown, I never said anything like that. But in these threads, people are talking about the competitions and not me. So ... why are you trying to make it about me? Seems you're trying to insinuate my writing sucks in multiple threads here. Is that really your business? I don't ever remember speaking with you before.
                            I don't think I've seen your writing so I'm not going to be trashing it. No idea what multiple threads you refer to. I don't even notice you - which is why I've confused you (my above post) with someone else. And if anything is posted in the forum then I can make it my business, same as anyone.
                            Last edited by SundownInRetreat; 06-22-2020, 03:21 AM.
                            M.A.G.A.

Comment

Working...
                            X