Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Fade In Pro -- tips, feedback, requested features

ComicBent - I should have made it clearer that I first noticed the problem when exporting Formatted Text from a Fade In document that's created via "File > New", not via "File > Templates > New From Template > Screenplay". When commenting earlier, I made an assumption that a Fade In document created via "File > New" uses the "Screenplay" template.

However, I've now tested exporting Formatted Text from Fade In documents created via both "File > New" and "File > Templates > New From Template > Screenplay". When there is identical content in the Fade In documents, the resulting txt files appear to be identical and both have all of the same changes/problems that I've previously described.

Thanks for contacting Kent Tessman about this issue. (I've still not gotten around to it.)

Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
    3. As for pasting text onto boards: Fade In is great for this. Just export to Formatted Text (Fade In automatically trims out the wasted space of the left page margin but leaves all the indents in place). Then copy the text that you want from the text file, and paste it onto a board.
    I'm beyond bemused that you've said that. It's certainly not "great" when the exported Formatted Text doesn't match the original Fade In document.
    Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
    "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

I relayed this issue to Kent Tessman.

He was not aware of the problem. He says that he thinks he has fixed it.

The fix will be in the next update.

He issues updates quite frequently, so it should not be long.

It is really nice to work with a professional-level program and to be able to obtain fixes quickly to any bugs that pop up.

Stay tuned.

ADDENDUM

Sorry, but I did not report the following to Kent. If the problem persists after the update, we can always let him know about it. My mind was wrapped around the line-length issue.
      Also, the two line spaces after "FADE IN:" got reduced to one line space. And where the heck did that colon after "FADE OUT." come from? And "FADE OUT." got moved six character spaces to the left.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

ComicBent - Thanks again for alerting Kent Tessman. It's great to hear that he thinks he's already cracked it. I'd really rather not have to resort to using other software.

This weekend, I'll probably send Kent an email about the Formatted Text issues (including those odd ones that you didn't report) as well as some minor quirks and bugs that I've made notes of for a while now.

Comment

All right.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Just to keep everyone informed ...

I am checking the Fade In board every day to see if Kent has released an update, which presumably will address the issue that we discussed above, in regard to formatted text.

He releases updates frequently. I would expect one before too long, if past behavior is a guide.

Comment

The current version is 3.0.636.
              “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
                Just to keep everyone informed ...

I am checking the Fade In board every day to see if Kent has released an update, which presumably will address the issue that we discussed above, in regard to formatted text.

He releases updates frequently. I would expect one before too long, if past behavior is a guide.

I've always learned that a new update is available when Fade In itself displays a message shortly after it's started. I presume that it checks itself every time it's started.

There's a Fade In menu option to check for updates: Help > Check for Updates

When I emailed Kent Tessman about the Formatted Text faults, I also mentioned a couple of other minor issues.

Fade In has a crazy high zoom-in ability. It's probably the highest zoom-in ever in computer software. (Except electron microscope software, probably.) In the "Zoom" dialog box via "View > Zoom > Other..." it says "Enter zoom percentage (25 to 250):" - but I've found that it's actually possible to zoom-in up to 24999%! It's great for exploring the dot on an "i".

Also, I asked Kent if he could add a "Creating PDF" message (and perhaps a progress bar) that would appear after clicking "OK" in the "Create PDF" dialog box, and then have a "PDF successfully created" message appear when it's done. But, apparently, a progress bar should already be displayed when a PDF is being created. I've never seen one. Does anyone else not get a PDF creation progress bar?

Comment

On my MacBook Pro, Fade In doesn't show a PDF progress bar, but the screen does a sort of "blink- once the PDF is created. The time is so short for Fade In to create a PDF, the creator of Fade In likely felt a progress bar unnecessary. A "PDF completed- dialogue box would be good, though.
                  “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
                    On my MacBook Pro, Fade In doesnt show a PDF progress bar, but the screen does a sort of blink once the PDF is created. The time is so short for Fade In to create a PDF, the creator of Fade In likely felt a progress bar unnecessary. A PDF completed dialogue box would be good, though.
                    TigerFang - As I've said above, a progress bar should be displayed when creating a PDF. Fade In's creator, Kent Tessman, said that the progress bar not being displayed might be a "Windows problem" - but it seems not.

Unless I blink and miss it, I also see a sort of screen "blink" when a PDF has finished being created.

Comment

The PDF progress bar ...

No, I do not think it is a Windows problem.

I tried four PDF drivers.
                      1. Fade In: No progress bar. I did not see anything, not even a blink. Of course, the file is created very quickly, so for me the whole issue is a trivial one.
                      2. PDF-XChange (commercial version): Yes, a progress bar appeared.
                      3. Primo PDF (free version): A window popped up for about one second that said "Printing Page 1" ... and after that the driver took me to a dialog window where I selected some options like Prepress Quality and named the file. Then it created the PDF with no progress bar.
                      4. Bullzip PDF (free version): A dialog window presented options to choose, but no progress bar followed.
                      My supposition would be that Fade In does not contain the code to create the display for the PDF progress bar. Maybe Kent will take a look at that.

Comment

Am I typing with invisible ink? I'll repeat:

I asked Kent if he could add a "Creating PDF" message (and perhaps a progress bar) that would appear after clicking "OK" in the "Create PDF" dialog box, and then have a "PDF successfully created" message appear when it's done. But, apparently, a progress bar should already be displayed when a PDF is being created.

... a progress bar should be displayed when creating a PDF. Fade In's creator, Kent Tessman, said that the progress bar not being displayed might be a "Windows problem" ...

Kent's exact words in an email were:

Let me look into the PDF progress issue. You should be seeing a progress bar, but if you’re not, we’ll need to figure out why. It may be a Windows issue.
                        So, rest easy, folks - the creator himself is on the case.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
                          On my MacBook Pro, Fade In doesn’t show a PDF progress bar, but the screen does a sort of “blink” once the PDF is created. The time is so short for Fade In to create a PDF, the creator of Fade In likely felt a progress bar unnecessary. A “PDF completed” dialogue box would be good, though.
                          In Linux you basically only see messages when something goes wrong. So seeing no message or progress bar seems "natural" to me.
                          STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

• For any of you that might be interested in buying Fade In software as well trying out our main site, we have added a limited time promo discount for FI software on our Subscription and Re-subscription pages. Hope this can maybe help some of you out.
                            Will
                            Done Deal Pro
                            www.donedealpro.com

Comment

• I know the Navigator pane is a kind of solution to this request but it would be pretty handy to have a "Current Page" counter somewhere in the toolbar, showing that you're on page X of Y, e.g., 5 of 60. So that just by changing the value of X, you can jump straight to a given page without having to go through Navigator

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
                                I know the Navigator pane is a kind of solution to this request but it would be pretty handy to have a "Current Page" counter somewhere in the toolbar, showing that you're on page X of Y, e.g., 5 of 60. So that just by changing the value of X, you can jump straight to a given page without having to go through Navigator
                                I sent a copy of Joe's post to Kent Tessman. His reaction was positive. He thought it would be a good idea to have a clickable "Go To" of some kind. I do not know what he will implement. I do not know Kent personally. I only communicate with him online from time to time.

Comment

Working...
                                X