X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Script Shadow in the NY Times!

For being quoted in the New York Times!

“Everyone says, ‘Read scripts,’ ” said Emily Blake, a Los Angeles screenwriter. “No one tells you where to find them. Here came Carson with access. He would talk about what made a script work or not work. It seemed like a good idea.”

Here's the article...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/02/mo...pagewanted=all
    Last edited by Jules; 12-01-2012, 02:44 AM.
    It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Re: Congrats Emily Blake

Originally posted by Jules View Post
    For being quoted in the New York Times!
    Except they made it sound like she was for it -- when we know she is now not.

It quotes her as saying: "... it seemed like a good idea."

The next paragraph being -- "Not according to John August..."

Almost sounds like they didn't contact the people they quoted, just read a few blogposts?

For the NYT they sort of missed the boat -- if they wanted to really delve into what's changing in the industry, they should've done an article on how the Black List might change the game for amatuers -- and already has for a few of them.

Comment

I talked to the guy for an hour and THAT's the quote he used? I used to be a reporter so I tend to defend them, but good grief. He makes it sound like Scriptshadow is this bold new kid just trying to fight the man. Now I'm pissed.
      Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Well he kind of is. Not to suggest he has the moral hand. I think people will search your name and find your blog. That's something.
        It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Script Shadow in the NY Times!

Check it!

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/12/02...and-critic.xml

He's plotting a crowd-sourcing system for his site in which every amateur script submitted would be acknowledged, a practice currently impossible because of a backlog of 7,000 entries.
          Huh?
          Last edited by JoJo; 12-01-2012, 08:13 AM.
          "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

Re: Script Shadow in the NY Times!

Journalists writing about writers writing about bloggers writing about writers
            Ring-a-ding-ding, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by NoirDigits View Post
              Journalists writing about writers writing about bloggers writing about writers
              Forum members writing about... etc.

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
                I talked to the guy for an hour and THAT's the quote he used? I used to be a reporter so I tend to defend them, but good grief. He makes it sound like Scriptshadow is this bold new kid just trying to fight the man. Now I'm pissed.
                Well, yeh. But I've seen a lot worse. If only "seemed" had been underlined.

Though, an upside? You're in the NY F'ing Times counterposed to John August.

Comment

Originally posted by Manchester View Post
                  Well, yeh. But I've seen a lot worse. If only "seemed" had been underlined.

Though, an upside? You're in the NY F'ing Times counterposed to John August.
                  That is true. I am now a big shot by association!

I think my issue here is, there is so much gray area in this argument, so many worthy debatable issues - and it just came down to this upstart kid taking on the evil system. And it's not that simple.

Carson was quoted as saying it's him vs all these pros who have this great success - well, I was in that article, but it was never mentioned that here's a writer who disagrees and doesn't have a sale. Not that it should have been about me, but it's more complicated than Us vs Them.

Comment

Originally posted by karsten View Post
                    ... And a partridge in a pear tree.

Comment

Oh and, I learned in the interview that Carson changes what he charges for notes depending on how busy he is, which is why he never posts his rates. So if you catch him on a slow month, you might pay $800. On a busy month, $1500. The rate has nothing to do with the amount or quality of the notes - simply his schedule.

I do hope he's serious about turning his site into an amateur writer's workshop. That would be a great thing, and a proper use of his notoriety, I think.

Comment

Carson was quoted as saying it's him vs all these pros who have this great success - well, I was in that article, but it was never mentioned that here's a writer who disagrees and doesn't have a sale.
                        Though, an upside? They called you a screenwriter and didn't say that you don't have a sale.

Comment

Originally posted by Manchester View Post
                          Though, an upside? They called you a screenwriter and didn't say that you don't have a sale.
                          You're very positive today. Bright sides for everyone!

Comment

Oh and, I learned in the interview that Carson changes what he charges for notes depending on how busy he is, which is why he never posts his rates. So if you catch him on a slow month, you might pay $800. On a busy month, $1500. The rate has nothing to do with the amount or quality of the notes - simply his schedule.
                            Scriptshadow - The 47th St. Photo of Script Notes
                            Last edited by Manchester; 12-01-2012, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by karsten View Post
                              I'm going to write a novel about it and hopefully it will get adapted into a screenplay and then we can complete the whole Cloud Atlas nesting doll.

Comment

Working...
                              X