No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To do or not to do

I got a response from a producer for my latest masterpiece-monster:

"I read your script and liked it very much. I would like to send it to a Producer partner in LA to read for his opinion. If he agrees with me, we will discuss moving forward with an option.
    However, I need you to send me a copy of the script without your contact information on it. Leave your name, but remove the email."

Now, the script is registered, and even if it weren't, I'm from Europe and could sue anyone's ass through Eu courts, but still... this part:

"I need you to send me a copy of the script without your contact information on it. Leave your name, but remove the email"

That let sirens in my head to go through the roof (my name only is useless for anyone who tries to find me.)

Did anyone had a similar experience - how did it end?

I also have another producer interested in this title. However, he cannot finance it by himself.
    Heck, I'll send him the damn thing, I already got over 70 requests for it so if anything funny happens...

Comments or advice are welcome, brothers in arms.

Re: To do or not to do

It's not a red flag, necessarily.
    A producer I've worked with has asked for the same thing on every project we've worked on together as he wants to be the contact person when he sends it out. After awhile I just put his contact information as a matter of course.

Comment

Originally posted by slopnik View Post
      I got a response from a producer for my latest masterpiece-monster:

"I read your script and liked it very much. I would like to send it to a Producer partner in LA to read for his opinion. If he agrees with me, we will discuss moving forward with an option.
      However, I need you to send me a copy of the script without your contact information on it. Leave your name, but remove the email."

Now, the script is registered, and even if it weren't, I'm from Europe and could sue anyone's ass through Eu courts, but still... this part:

"I need you to send me a copy of the script without your contact information on it. Leave your name, but remove the email"

That let sirens in my head to go through the roof (my name only is useless for anyone who tries to find me.)

Did anyone had a similar experience - how did it end?

I also have another producer interested in this title. However, he cannot finance it by himself.
      Heck, I'll send him the damn thing, I already got over 70 requests for it so if anything funny happens...

Comments or advice are welcome, brothers in arms.
      He doesn't want the person he's sending it to contacting you directly, cutting him out. It's as simple as that. Happens all the time. Relax.

Comment

What Ed said. The producer wants to be the point of contact. Plus, a cover page looks more professional and legit-looking without the writer's own contact info on there. If you're a writer with no rep or producer, who's sending out a script yourself, there's not really a way around it. But with a producer sending it out, better to take it off.
        https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
        http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

Originally posted by EdFury View Post
          He doesn't want the person he's sending it to contacting you directly, cutting him out. It's as simple as that. Happens all the time. Relax.
          This and what ProfessorChomp said (I've been here 10 years and have yet to learn how to do multiple quotes...)

This person wants to remain the contact point/middle man or else they could easily be cutout of the process if this LA based person just sent you an email directly.
          Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

He doesn't want the person he's sending it to contacting you directly, cutting him out
            The good on this is, it means he thinks the story is worthy for him to risk his neck asking his partner.

The bad part - now I have one producer, who is wholly committed to it, has not enough resources, so I must forward other prodcs that respond to him, unaware what their goals are.

The other producer, who has some track record obviously has his own ideas how to proceed with it.

It's a freaking Russian roulette; you keep pulling the trigger until a bullet hits you.

Comment

This person wants to remain the contact point/middle man or else they could easily be cutout of the process if this LA based person just sent you an email directly.
              I had no idea these guys are such sharks.

I've been here 10 years and have yet to learn how to do multiple quotes.
              It's simple. Copy paste each time the start, and end brackets (I hope this will show up correctly)
              Add text here
              ) into a new quote you want to add to your reply.

Nope, it did not show what I meant. Maybe it'll help you anyway.

Comment

For multiple quotes, I just click the DDPro icon on the screen to insert the quote tags, as many times as I want to quote something:

[QUOTE][/ QUOTE]

Then, from the original posting, I cut-n-paste whatever I want to quote between the two codes. I find this easier than quoting the entire original post and reworking it or chopping it up from there.
                Last edited by catcon; 02-12-2018, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slopnik View Post
                  The good on this is, it means he thinks the story is worthy for him to risk his neck asking his partner.

The bad part - now I have one producer, who is wholly committed to it, has not enough resources, so I must forward other prodcs that respond to him, unaware what their goals are.
                  What? No. You don't need to forward other prodocs to this guy. Sending you a nice email doesn't give him any legal rights to the script.

If this guy puts together the movie, great for him, and great for you-- but there's nothing shady about your pursuing other options in the meantime. I assure you, he's pursuing multiple scripts.

Comment

Originally posted by AnyOtherName View Post
                    What? No. You don't need to forward other prodocs to this guy. Sending you a nice email doesn't give him any legal rights to the script.

If this guy puts together the movie, great for him, and great for you-- but there's nothing shady about your pursuing other options in the meantime. I assure you, he's pursuing multiple scripts.
                    I second this sentiment whole-heartedly. Assuming he hasn't optioned the script or gotten you to sign a shopping agreement, you should keep shopping it around yourself. Producers share scripts they like all the time, it's not a reason to stop pursuing other avenues. Hell, that's exactly what creates heat and a bidding war.

My fingers are crossed for you!

Comment

Originally posted by DLev24 View Post
                      What? No. You don't need to forward other prodocs to this guy. Sending you a nice email doesn't give him any legal rights to the script. If this guy puts together the movie, great for him, and great for you-- but there's nothing shady about your pursuing other options in the meantime. I assure you, he's pursuing multiple scripts.
                      I second this sentiment whole-heartedly. Assuming he hasn't optioned the script or gotten you to sign a shopping agreement, you should keep shopping it around yourself. Producers share scripts they like all the time, it's not a reason to stop pursuing other avenues. Hell, that's exactly what creates heat and a bidding war. My fingers are crossed for you!
                      Of course this is true, if you've not signed anything. But if you have, you can still make an opportunity out of what seems a difficult situation.

Let's say your signed producer is coming up short of investment or some other element. While your active marketing of this story to new contacts is suspended - because you signed this over to the producer - maybe you can offer to connect him/her with some of your own contacts, to try to fill the gaps.

These may be other prodcos who've read several of your scripts - more than two or three reads suggests they like your work but are just holding out for the right one. They may even have read and passed on this particular story - they pass for reasons other than "it was no good".

But once they know that the other producer is "doing the heavy lifting", they may come on board to help raise capital, or bring an A-list director or cast member they're connected to, familiarity in distribution in a particular geographic zone eg. China, or some other resource or expertise.

And it will be for the producers to negotiate with each other for the split of the pie, not with you. You're simply making the connection - using those hard-earned relationships you've fostered over the years.

Now, whether you do this for free, or for something above the initial contract (eg. an Exec Producer status if genuine investment comes on board, or some unpaid onscreen co-pro credit, or some other creative considerations such as a job on the set, who knows), is entirely up to you to ask for.

It's something your lawyer can advise on. It's called "deal-making"!

Whatever it takes to get these things made, right?

Oh, and congratulations, you'll also be one-step closer to the goal many of us have: Becoming writer-producers!

Comment

Originally posted by catcon View Post
                        For multiple quotes, I just click the DDPro icon on the screen to insert the quote tags, as many times as I want to quote something
                        This is why God created women...

...after he realized how badly he screwed up with men.
                        Thanks for the info.
                        Wait - are you a female? I watch the picture, so...

Comment

You don't need to forward other prodocs to this guy.
                          The trick is - other prodocs responded en mass when they read I have a producer interested in the script.
                          Also, you are right, some of them are definitely interested in taking on the whole production by themselves.
                          And I also got a referral to a manager through one of them who is too busy for this project. I am only not sure is it for the script or representation.
                          We'll see.

Comment

Working...
                          X