Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pitching

I agree with what you took out of the conversation, David, except for one point. You don't always need a lawyer or agent to submit. If you are currently unrepresented, often they'll take the script from you without concern, or sometimes they'll ask you to sign a release form and submit it yourself. It only has to come through an attorney if they say they can't take it otherwise.

Comment

Guys, this is really simple.

When people in the business refer to a pitch, they mean a writer coming in and telling the story of a project that they propose to write.

You don't pitch out a script you've written as an entire story because you want them to read the script. And if they like the quick one or two sentence description of it, they want to read it, too.

You can refer to telling someone the brief logline as "pitching" the idea. I think that's where the confusion is coming from.

But if you have a script, you want people to read it.

And yes, if you don't have an agent or manager, then you need to be the one who tells people that intriguing few sentences about your project that makes them want to read it.

After you get an agent or manager, you don't do that anymore. The agent and/or manager gets people to read your script. Then you go meet people who are interested in you and/or your script, from their reading of it.

In that meeting, you are talking to people who have already read your script. They'll ask about it, about you, about a lot of things.

And, when people get really interested in you as a writer, you can go in and pitch something you want to be paid to write. In that sort of meeting, you are expected to tell the story you're looking to write in a fairly complete form.

Comment

BWE, Otis, and Mini laid down the facts. They know how it works because they're pros.

Not that the pros are never wrong of course, but it's baffling why some folks are so passionate about contradicting them--especiallyon really basic stuff like how a pitch works.

Comment

Mini is on the money. When I said I pitch my scripts, it means I pitch the logline.
          http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Working...
          X