No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on queries

Hi,

I don't live in the USA, so email, (and maybe fax) queries would be my only option. My question is, once you made your list (Imdb, magazines, done deal pro...) of production companies and agencies, to whom exactly do you address your email?

If a company has 5-10 agents and producers (plus people above and under them), how do you decide to whom you send your query (email or fax).

If - when you query agencies, do you focus on a single project if you're looking for presentation, do you make a list, or a bit of both?

I guess querying companies that state they do not accept material from unrepresented writers cannot hurt if you send them only a simple email with a project?

Thanks for all your advice.

Re: Advice on queries

You can query whoever you want -- nothing's stopping you. To this day I've heard of no one dying from rejection letters.

With managers and agents you just choose a place and start listing the potential people. You can try multiple, but maybe best if not at the same exact time (at least I choose not to; give it a week or two before trying a different person at the same place(?))

With production companies I try to seek out creative execs or DoDs and query them. Whoever seems the best choice to me.

Maybe send just one logline at a time.

Also, if you're a foreigner maybe don't mention that to managers/agents in the query -- unless you've gotten something made where you live.

This is my way of thinking, at least. Take it for what you will.

Comment

Thanks for all the advices - especially this one:

Originally posted by Thah View Post
      Also, if you're a foreigner maybe don't mention that to managers/agents in the query -- unless you've gotten something made where you live.
      I forgot to ask about it - if it is okay or advisable to mention that you have won, let's say a screenplay contest in your own country, or sold a screenplay (in your own country).
      I am not sure if producers or agents would laugh at that or take that as a positive thing.
      Also, what is a DOD - Director of department maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by slopnik View Post
        Thanks for all the advices - especially this one:

I forgot to ask about it - if it is okay or advisable to mention that you have won, let's say a screenplay contest in your own country, or sold a screenplay (in your own country).
        I am not sure if producers or agents would laugh at that or take that as a positive thing.
        Also, what is a DOD - Director of department maybe?
        I agree with Thah and, yes, mention any achievements.

I queried from Australia for a few years and I had lots of requests from Hollywood producers and managers, though no sales. When targeting a company, I checked which people looked like a good match for a script and queried them first. And when they responded with a no, I asked them if they were looking for anything specific in case I had another screenplay that fit. I had nine in different genres, so I often did...

Good luck!
        TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

With DoD I mean Director of Development.

Also, if you didn't already know, sites like LinkedIn are really helpful when it comes to figuring out people and their titles. I use it quite a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Thah View Post
            With DoD I mean Director of Development.
            Thanks for all your info.

I also preffer to write in different genres (except horror and love story).

Time now to finish a couple of new ones for next year's competitions and then start building up a database of companies and agencies.

Comment

What if you're outside of LA..
              same lines? Don't mention it?

Because I'm looking for an agent willing to work with someone living outside of LA.

Comment

Originally posted by Terri View Post

Because I'm looking for an agent willing to work with someone living outside of LA.
                well, if you're looking for a rep willing to work with writers outside of LA, it would probably behoove you to mention you're outside of LA

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
                  well, if you're looking for a rep willing to work with writers outside of LA, it would probably behoove you to mention you're outside of LA
                  I wouldn't do this. No reason to include that sort of info in a query anyway. If they really dig your writing, they'll tolerate your location, but no reason to introduce that fact up front.

Comment

Originally posted by Terri View Post

Definitely don't.

Listen to the Scripts and Scribes Podcast that Scott Car did recently and he tells the story about one of his clients who he signed off a query letter and script read and his movie is coming out in a couple weeks. He talks about this point specifically in the podcast.
                    Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Only thing is, I do mention my location on my website. I guess I'll take that down.... since they can easily Google me and find my site.
                      Oh and also, my cornpone TN address on the covers of all my scripts... guess I'll have to take those out too. :/

EDIT::
                      Here's the link to the podcast episode: http://www.scriptsandscribes.com/201...th-scott-carr/

Comment

What do you put in the subject line for an email query? Does anyone have any examples of what an email query looks like?

I'm just curious how well queries have worked for members of this forum...how many people responded versus the number of queries sent out.

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
                          What do you put in the subject line for an email query? Does anyone have any examples of what an email query looks like?

I'm just curious how well queries have worked for members of this forum...how many people responded versus the number of queries sent out.
                          When I used to send queries I would just put the title of the project in the subject line.
                          Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Thanks Ducky. Was querying useful? I wonder how many top managers actually respond to queries.

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
                              Thanks Ducky. Was querying useful? I wonder how many top managers actually respond to queries.
                              I was read by 3-6 every time but ultimately found my managers through referral. That was a couple years ago and I don't know if reps still request at the same rate due to television seasons taking up a majority of their year with current clients and potential clients through referrals.

Never know though.
                              Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Working...
                              X