Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Character has same name

Might as well go to the finish line here with my questions...I'm certain this is archived but my search didn't reveal anything:

I've got two main characters who are two generations of "Frank's"--the older Frank Sr. and his son Frank.

They are both called Frank to their face, and are both known as Frank.

How do I distinguished them both in the action lines and character name above their dialogue? Do I say something early along the lines of FRANK SR. (called SENIOR) or something? I don't want to suggest he is in fact called "Senior" though--it's only for the reader's clarity.

thanks for your ideas.

Re: Character has same name

Just distinguish them as 'FRANK SNR' and 'FRANK JNR' for names and action. In dialogue just use 'Frank' because we'll know from the other elements which one is referred to.
    "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

Or vary them a bit more, BIG FRANK and FRANKIE

...so they start with a different letter and you don't keep getting both Franks popping up every time you type an F... character name element.

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterso View Post
        Or vary them a bit more, BIG FRANK and FRANKIE

...so they start with a different letter and you don't keep getting both Franks popping up every time you type an F... character name element.

I didn't want to cloud the waters but there are actually three, and the youngest is FRANKIE. I'm calling him "E."

So now I might have:

The flashlight goes out. Senior takes E's hand. Frank walks up from behind.

E
        Grandpa?

SENIOR
        Ya?

E
        Where's Dad?

FRANK
        Yeah, I'm here.

So all three of these characters are known and called Frank,
        but is this a clear enough way to distinguish them? They all must have the same name for my story.

Comment

I'm not sure where "E" comes from though, looks odd, and you said it's important they're all called Frank? I think I'd maybe be using GRANDPA FRANK, FRANK and LITTLE FRANKIE, which gives you Frank in 3 different but clear ways, e.g.

LITTLE FRANKIE
          Grandpa?

GRANDPA FRANK
          Ya?

LITTLE FRANKIE
          Where's Dad?

FRANK
          Yeah, I'm here.

No argument, use the Force, whatever works for you is best. Just procrastinating instead of writing. This is easier.

Comment

As DavidK suggested, use FRANK SR and FRANK JR for Action and for Character names.

For the third Frank, you cannot use 'E' as a Character name above the Dialogue. It is too awkward and does not make good sense. Just use FRANKIE for the Character name and for Action description.

They can still be addressed as 'Frank' when they talk to one another or about one another.

Debbie, you have my email. Stay in touch. I joined the Facebook Group, but I have strong reservations about using Facebook for anything serious, because it has so many junky ads and other distractions. It is also difficult to compose articles and post them unless you prepare them offsite and then paste them. So my presence there will probably be infrequent.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterso View Post
              I'm not sure where "E" comes from though, looks odd, and you said it's important they're all called Frank? I think I'd maybe be using GRANDPA FRANK, FRANK and LITTLE FRANKIE, which gives you Frank in 3 different but clear ways, e.g.

LITTLE FRANKIE
              Grandpa?

GRANDPA FRANK
              Ya?

LITTLE FRANKIE
              Where's Dad?

FRANK
              Yeah, I'm here.

No argument, use the Force, whatever works for you is best. Just procrastinating instead of writing. This is easier.
              Derek, thanks for this.

So E is the nickname for FRANKIE (20s) --say it out loud (FRANK-E). Get it?. Because there were all these Frank's they started that nickname years earlier. But you aren't keen on that because it is odd? Yeah I get that.

(LITTLE FRANKIE won't work cuz he's not little, obviously. Even though i may have hinted at that just to keep it simple

OK --get back to your writing. I'm not going to be the one to give you an excuse!

Comment

Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
                Debbie, you have my email. Stay in touch. I joined the Facebook Group, but I have strong reservations about using Facebook for anything serious, because it has so many junky ads and other distractions. It is also difficult to compose articles and post them unless you prepare them offsite and then paste them. So my presence there will probably be infrequent.

It won't be the same without you! You'll find it's not that hard to make the transition though it isn't ideal. But we all must adapt, right? OK, great, then see you there!

Comment

Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
                  I joined the Facebook Group, but I have strong reservations about using Facebook for anything serious, because it has so many junky ads and other distractions. It is also difficult to compose articles and post them unless you prepare them offsite and then paste them. So my presence there will probably be infrequent.
                  It looks like you may be fine now that we've been granted a reprieve. I think it's just a matter of whether enough funds come in via GoFundMe. I don't think that's going to be a problem.
                  STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

Working...
                  X