Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elysium

Trailer to Neill Blomkamp's second movie. Big fan of DISTRICT 9 so looking forward to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=oIBtePb-dGY

http://movies.yahoo.com/video/elysiu...200248321.html

Re: Elysium

They claim they love filmmaking but once they get the dough they make one every 5/6 years.

Comment

You think that's by choice? You know how hard it is to get a film made? You need all the stars to line up and it's practically a miracle when a film is in the can.

Hollywood likes to announce projects more then make them.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief View Post
        They claim they love filmmaking but once they get the dough they make one every 5/6 years.
        Are you trying to replace Biohazard as the cranky old man of DDP?

Comment

Originally posted by Richmond Weems View Post
          Are you trying to replace Biohazard as the cranky old man of DDP?
          Actually, Chief sounds like a tyro who's had little experience in the business. Cranky old men tend to sound like me.

Word is Damon chastised Blomkamp over the inferior script and there were plenty of onset rewrites. So set your expectations on Matrix Reloaded and should it turn out better you won't be disappointed.

Comment

Well, I'm off to the doctor's for another 4-hour erection.

In other words, this looks awesome.

Comment

The ringworld and effects are A+, but I'm not seeing a story hook.

A good hook: A space farm boy's family is butchered by an evil space lord. He becomes a warrior, embarks on a quest to defeat the lord and bring peace to a war-torn galaxy.

What's Elysium's story hook? A bum wants to break into paradise so he doesn't have to live in squalor?

I don't get it.
              I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

The script was OK.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
                  What's Elysium's story hook? A bum wants to break into paradise so he doesn't have to live in squalor?
                  And liberate the people, undoubtedly.

Well, the trailer immediately calls to mind the old and not especially good Star Trek episode "The Cloud Minders," with its division between Elysium -- I mean, Stratos -- and the impoverished, toxic planet surface.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cloud_Minders

If the film plays it safe, its theme is likely to be the stupendously original idea (cough) that "wealth disparity is a bad thing." How novel. How shocking.

On the other hand, it could be bolder and explore Mideast metaphors and such things. I think I'll wait to hear some reviews.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
                    The ringworld and effects are A+, but I'm not seeing a story hook.

A good hook: A space farm boy's family is butchered by an evil space lord. He becomes a warrior, embarks on a quest to defeat the lord and bring peace to a war-torn galaxy.

I don't get it.
                    It's about a man who, because of the wretched conditions on Earth, finds his body deteriorating with just days left to live.

His only option? Take some pills and die quietly.

But Elysium's residents? They have access to machines that can cure disease in mere moments.

So, because his body is deteriorating, he equips himself with some experimental exo-skeleton to infiltrate Elysium and gain access to one of these machines. He needs only moments inside to cure his disease, but will he focus on his own health or the well-being of his fellow man?

That's a good hook.

Comment

Just so I`m clear, how many post apocalyptic Earth movies are coming out this year??

Comment

Originally posted by ATB View Post
                        So, because his body is deteriorating, he equips himself with some experimental exo-skeleton to infiltrate Elysium and gain access to one of these machines. He needs only moments inside to cure his disease, but will he focus on his own health or the well-being of his fellow man?

That's a good hook.
                        a) There's no way of knowing that from the trailer.
                        b) It's an interesting premise, but it's not that great a hook. We're not exactly in Looper territory here.
                        c) Solely because of D9 will I be seeing this.
                        I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

The trailer is bad a communicating the hook. But that's not the fault of the film.

I think it's a pretty great premise. Simple, emotional, original, combining personal and worldwide stakes, with a strong "I need to know what happens next" built into it. I don't see a reason to complain there.

Maybe it's not Looper territory, but then again, it also doesn't immediately offer the multitude of logical problems that Looper's premise offered (None of which I was bothered with, but some were. That kind of fantastical premise immediately leads to problems - You just have to accept it for what it is).

The trailer isn't very well made - It's mediocre - but the film itself looks very good.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief View Post
                            I didn't realize 4 years is 5/6 years.

Regardless, Blomkamp spend the 2nd half of 2009 promoting District 9. 2010 he spent writing and doing pre-planning for Elysium. The project was offered to studios in January 2011. They started filming in July 2011.

Originally it was planned for a late 2012 release. Some re-shoots pushed the release to summer 2013.

(It took me about 3 minutes of work to find out all that info).

Comment

As far as I remember none of the DISTRICT 9 trailers revealed the main story hook (protag on the run after being exposed to something that allows him to use alien tech, making him a valuable asset to human corporations that wish to dissect him). You couldn't even identify the protag from the trailers.

Instead the trailer exposed the world and images that piques the audience's interest.

The hook would come as a surprise, and I'm glad it did. Because I wasn't waiting for it.

Personally I find many trailers give too much away. IMO, sometimes, giving away the main story hook also gives away most of the story arc. The OBLIVION trailer does that, IMO. The moment we're told the main hook -- that Tom Cruise might be working for the wrong side -- suddenly all of the images in the trailer are put into context and you can see the whole story arc and maybe even work out the ending.

There's a lot of buzz re: Elysium trailer. It's trending in a lot of places. So I guess what they have so far (devoid of story hook) is enough to sell it to people.

Comment

Working...
                              X