No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mad Max 4

Originally posted by TheConnorNoden View Post
    .Age aside I just don't think people are very willing to forgive and forget. Which is a shame because he's an interesting actor.
    And an even better director.

That's the real tragedy of Mel Gibson being blacklisted -- it has robbed the world of who knows how many truly exceptional films he could and would have made. Braveheart is IMO one of the all-time finest movies ever made, no exaggeration, and Passion of the Christ and Apocalypto are strong and unique as well.

Comment

The world will be fine.

Comment

EXT. DESERT. DAY

MAX (MAD)
        [to the two headed lizard]
        To be, or not to be: that is the question:
        Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
        The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
        Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
        And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
        No more; and by a sleep to say we end
        The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
        That flesh is heir to, 'tis a consummation
        Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep;
        To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;
        For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
        When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
        Must give us pause: there's the respect
        That makes calamity of so long life;
        For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
        The oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,
        The pangs of despised love, the law's delay,
        The insolence of office and the spurns
        That patient merit of the unworthy takes,
        When he himself might his quietus make
        With a bare bodkin? who would fardels bear,
        To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
        But that the dread of something after death,
        The undiscover'd country from whose bourn
        No traveller returns, puzzles the will
        And makes us rather bear those ills we have
        Than fly to others that we know not of?
        Thus conscience does make cowards of us all;
        And thus the native hue of resolution
        Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,
        And enterprises of great pith and moment
        With this regard their currents turn awry,
        And lose the name of action.--Soft you now!
        The fair Ophelia! Nymph, in thy orisons
        Be all my sins remember'd!

He crushes the lizard in his hand and sucks the blood from it

MAX (MAD)
        Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio: a fellow
        of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy: he hath
        borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how
        abhorred in my imagination it is! my gorge rims at
        it. Here hung those lips that I have kissed I know
        not how oft. Where be your gibes now? your
        gambols? your songs? your flashes of merriment,
        that were wont to set the table on a roar? Not one
        now, to mock your own grinning? quite chap-fallen?

then the nastys in the war rig arrive and capture him...

yup a talky talky Max makes for a far betterer movie!
        I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post
          EXT. DESERT. DAY

MAX (MAD)
          [to the two headed lizard]
          To be, or not to be: that is the question:
          Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
          The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
          Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
          And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
          No more; and by a sleep to say we end
          The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
          That flesh is heir to, 'tis a consummation
          Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep;
          To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;
          For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
          When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
          Must give us pause: there's the respect
          That makes calamity of so long life;
          For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
          The oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,
          The pangs of despised love, the law's delay,
          The insolence of office and the spurns
          That patient merit of the unworthy takes,
          When he himself might his quietus make
          With a bare bodkin? who would fardels bear,
          To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
          But that the dread of something after death,
          The undiscover'd country from whose bourn
          No traveller returns, puzzles the will
          And makes us rather bear those ills we have
          Than fly to others that we know not of?
          Thus conscience does make cowards of us all;
          And thus the native hue of resolution
          Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,
          And enterprises of great pith and moment
          With this regard their currents turn awry,
          And lose the name of action.--Soft you now!
          The fair Ophelia! Nymph, in thy orisons
          Be all my sins remember'd!

He crushes the lizard in his hand and sucks the blood from it

MAX (MAD)
          Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio: a fellow
          of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy: he hath
          borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how
          abhorred in my imagination it is! my gorge rims at
          it. Here hung those lips that I have kissed I know
          not how oft. Where be your gibes now? your
          gambols? your songs? your flashes of merriment,
          that were wont to set the table on a roar? Not one
          now, to mock your own grinning? quite chap-fallen?

then the nastys in the war rig arrive and capture him...

yup a talky talky Max makes for a far betterer movie!
          To be fair, Shakespearian Max is totally something I would pay to see.

Comment

Overall, it's a fantastic pure action movie. You can quibble with certain aspects, like characters who actually say they're out for "redemption." (I suspect Tom Hardy's facemask was intended to protect him from the damaging effects of on-the-nose dialogue.) And where is a landmass so huge that it takes 160 days to traverse it on motorized vehicles? Still, it's a great example of an action film that provides the goods without lapsing into a sort of incoherent monotony of BOOM BANG KA-BLOOEY.

Comment

Originally posted by MrZero View Post
              And where is a landmass so huge that it takes 160 days to traverse it on motorized vehicles?
              If you walked for just 6 hrs a day at 4 mph, you could traverse the entire Australian continent in 105 days. LOLOL.

These are just the type of stupid things I look for in my scripts.
              I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

I'm late to the party on this one but just saw this with my girlfriend tonight. We were absolutely blown away.

If you didn't like this, you don't have a soul.

Comment

Originally posted by MrZero View Post
                  Overall, it's a fantastic pure action movie. You can quibble with certain aspects, like characters who actually say they're out for "redemption." (I suspect Tom Hardy's facemask was intended to protect him from the damaging effects of on-the-nose dialogue.) And where is a landmass so huge that it takes 160 days to traverse it on motorized vehicles? Still, it's a great example of an action film that provides the goods without lapsing into a sort of incoherent monotony of BOOM BANG KA-BLOOEY.
                  I was more curious how in the actual f--k they were supposed to be able to fit 160 days worth of food for a dozen people on the backs of motorcycles... Somebody's been hiding the lembas bread.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Boellner View Post
                    I was more curious how in the actual f--k they were supposed to be able to fit 160 days worth of food for a dozen people on the backs of motorcycles... Somebody's been hiding the lembas bread.
                    Ha!

Comment

Hmm. This is why writers should not be allowed to watch movies.

Q - Who destroyed the world?

A - Writers.

I won't say this was a "great" story, but it was a "fantastic" movie.

But, even in the so called weaknesses, I found strengths. So much talk of beats and arcs and such, but I found the music to be between the notes on this one. I allowed my inner writer to fill in the openings the story gave me.

SPOILERS

It is most certainly Furiosa's story. Thus the "Fury Road" subtitle which most have been hinting. It is not an "overthrow the warlord" story, but one that is much more complex. It's the value of the female identity as differently seen between the sexes. Immortan Joe clearly loves his wives and wants to save them, protect them, and care for them. But his love is stifling and controlling and strips away their individuality... while individuality is something Furiosa has in abundance.

To label it feminist is lazy. It's deeper than that. It's naturalist. Men destroy. Women nurture. Yet like the relationship between the yin/yang, both are essential. When men are left to rule absolute, you get what Immortan Joe had, but when women are left to rule you get the lost clan of wanderers with a bag of unused seeds. It's generic archetype/stereotype, but it's universally true of masculine/feminine forces in nature.

The uncarved block (the Tao) is Max. His only purpose is to survive, and he's gotten extremely good at that. He needs no words. He is indeed the hallow man driven by instinct with his only humanity defined by a cadre of ghosts that haunt his mind. He spends a good bit of time trying to actually not hurt anybody. He just wants to get away. The path of least resistance guides his journey until the humanity surfaces enough for him to show the clan of women what they will have to do to win. They'll have to fight.

There's quite a lot of dialogue going on and none of it is actually being said. That's pretty rock solid in my book, because even if I'm pulling out things that don't exist, the movie has still managed to engage my thoughts and a great discussion on gender roles and societal values between myself and the girlfriend on the ride home. Any movie that can spark a dialogue wins!

And...

That warboy on guitar might have been one of the most geektacular moments I've had in a movie in a long long time.

Comment

Originally posted by ChadStrohl View Post
                        It's the value of the female identity as differently seen between the sexes. Immortan Joe clearly loves his wives and wants to save them, protect them, and care for them. But his love is stifling and controlling and strips away their individuality... while individuality is something Furiosa has in abundance.
                        Uh, his wives were slaves. To say that Immortan Joe "loved" them is pretty horrific. He actually refers to them as his property and SPOILER, he was far more angered when he found out one was carrying a son than he was when she died.

To label it feminist is lazy. It's deeper than that. It's naturalist. Men destroy. Women nurture. Yet like the relationship between the yin/yang, both are essential. When men are left to rule absolute, you get what Immortan Joe had, but when women are left to rule you get the lost clan of wanderers with a bag of unused seeds. It's generic archetype/stereotype, but it's universally true of masculine/feminine forces in nature.
                        Do you realize saying "Men destroy. Women nurture" is sexist? Women are just as capable of destroying as men are at nurturing. And how do you get "when women are left to rule, you get the lost clan of wanders with a bag of unused seeds?" I didn't see anything about "women ruling" in that situation. Those masculine/feminine forces in nature account for all the species where females are the larger, more dominate of the pair and males care of the offspring?

Comment

I should have quoted "love". I didn't mean it was healthy. Like loving a chair really.

Seriously though. Yin/yang. A little bit of this in a little bit of that. Yes women can destroy and men can nurture. I'm a single father raising two very strong and independent girls. Got it But thanks for jumping straight onto the societal bandwagon and parsing bits of my statements and bastardizing them to cast a knee jerk judgment on my character.

The story also shows women can be strong and fierce and that men can nurture. That's ingrained in the message - The power of change when both sides embrace the strengths and weaknesses of the other and work together.

Comment

I should have quoted "love". I didn't mean it was healthy. Like loving a chair really.

Seriously though. Yin/yang. A little bit of this in a little bit of that. Yes women can destroy and men can nurture. I'm a single father raising two very strong and independent girls. Got it But thanks for jumping straight onto the societal bandwagon and parsing bits of my statements and bastardizing them to cast a knee jerk judgment on my character.

The story also shows women can be strong and fierce and that men can nurture. That's ingrained in the message - The power of change when both sides embrace the strengths and weaknesses of the other and work together.
                            Parsing bits of your statement? I was responding to full paragraphs.

And that darn societal bandwagon that doesn't want to lump all males into one category and women into the opposite.

Comment

How exactly could I possibly put a character like Furiosa in the same category as the slave wives or the clan at the end? They're all so different. Max, Dux, and Joe are also very much different. The story (like most stories) is a metaphor, and it takes shortcuts to outline a theme. That's all I was trying to say. That's what I saw in it. Nitpicking details is a waste of time.

There are sublime moments, however,... SPOILER

Like the slave girl that wants to go fleeing back. How often is that seen in the real world in abusive relationships (on both sides). The devil that we know?

Or how Max resists any emotional connection because it will make him feel responsible for it.

There's science of how men and women tend to think differently between emotion and reason. The problem isn't the differences. The problem, in my opinion, is reactionary outcry because of those differences... as if there is a right or wrong.

Comment

Late to the party, and wasn't a huge fan. There were some little touches that I really liked, mainly in the production design (the Frankenvehicles, the guy using a give way sign as a shield, the accelerator pedal of the main truck being an old shoe sizer and so on), but I honestly got quite bored. I didn't engage with anyone, and especially not Max.

And you don't have to have an elaborate character setup to engage me. As an example let's use... the original Mad Max. You don't even fully SEE Max until he gets out of the car after chasing down the Night Rider. He's said all of about 6 quiet words into the police radio. But you know a hell of a lot about him just by the way he calmly prepares, drives like a demon, and the expression on his face as he looks at the flaming wreck of the NR's car. I got more out of that Max in around 4 minutes than I did in this one's 120.

Just my opinion. YMMV.

Comment

Working...
                                X