2012 HeartWalk: Get considered by Benderspink and Help Fight Heart Disease...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 HeartWalk: Get considered by Benderspink and Help Fight Heart Disease...

Thank you, Joe and Daniel. It's a great thing you're doing for the Heart Association, and for screenwriters. (I hope that by the end of it, Daniel isn't too burned out.)

Congratulations and best of luck.

Comment

• Re: 2012 HeartWalk: Get considered by Benderspink and Help Fight Heart Disease...

Just a reminder that the Heart Walk is tomorrow so donations for this year will close. You can donate now and submit later when you have a script ready if you don't have one ready now.

We have raised a staggering 37K plus to fight heart disease and stroke so far. Thanks to everybody who donated and an extra special thanks to Jeff Lowell, Craig Mazin, John August, and of course Will and the whole Done Deal family for helping me promote this endeavor.

Here is a link to my donation page if anybody wants to get in under the wire.

http://heartwalk.kintera.org/faf/don...upId=227801200
      "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Joe, I just now donated and am going to use the ten page read as a first place prize for the Halloween writing contest, if I'm not late, here in the writing excersize forum. It'll be easy money for you guys cuz the guys in the writing excersize forum are really crappy writers. I'll donate more to the heart association after I retire Mazin.
        Free Script Reads and Notes

​
        ​

Comment

Donations have closed for 2012's American Heart Association's fundraising efforts for the annual South Sound Heart & Stroke Walk.

Your generosity enabled us to raise over $40,000 to fight heart disease and stroke. Thanks so much.

If you've already donated and are waiting to hear back on your script please keep in touch with me via pm here or email -- my email address is listed on my donation page linked above -- you will hear back one way or another. If Dan likes your work you may get a call from him. If he doesn't I will forward you his "pass" email -- but one way or another you will hear back.

Please be patient. He's reading literally mountains of scripts but he will read and consider every single one.

Check back again in spring 2013 for an announcement on 2013's fundraising efforts.

Let me know if you have any questions. Thank you.
          "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

That's startling, good for you. Any idea how many submissions you ended up with?
            It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Great job you've done Joe... in both ways.
              I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

What is the average time to hear back, do you think? A couple months?
                www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
                http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

Agreed. You raised a lot of money. Well done.

Comment

Thanks everybody. Every dollar goes toward the American Heart Association's research efforts so we've done a good thing for a great cause.

As far as the estimated time to hear back, I don't know, and I'm not going to bug Dan. What's guaranteed is you WILL hear back one way or another. If Dan likes your work you'll probably get a call or email from him directly. If he's passing he'll send me the pass email and I'll forward to you. You'll never just hear nothing...so feel free to check in periodically via email if you like.

Comment

Just saw the Tacoma by your name - nice! Federal Way here (raised, don't live there anymore). Glad to see us representing!
                      www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
                      http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

Stainjim, on the question of how long it takes for a read on the Benderspink Heartwalk, the answer is very sketchy because so few writers have reported responses. The same question was asked on the Amazon Studio forum site. Three writers said they received an answer, all passes. One said it came in five months. Mine came in six months, so it looks like the time for a read would vary 4-6 months. So far, no one on the AS site has reported finding representation with Benderspink as a result of the 2012 Heartwalk. But one writer has reported receiving an "open window" opportunity to submit more scripts. Not sure about writers on this site. For a success, the script would probably have to meet the specific interests of the Benderspink company and appeal to the reader's preferences. Good luck

Comment

There was nothing "sketchy" about it.

I said from the beginning there is no timeline on when you'll hear back and there still isn't. All I did is guarantee that you WILL hear back one way or the other - it might take weeks or it might take months.

Dan is working his way through a massive read stack and I ask that everybody be patient and understanding of that.

Anybody who hasn't heard and wants to follow up can feel free to email me or PM here. I check my email more regularly, though, and if you donated/submitted you should already have the address.

Comment

I have donated the past two years. Last year I heard back after about four months; got some nice comments and a "pass." This year I heard back after about six months; got more nice comments and an "open door." So -- it's for real, it's for a good cause, and I commend Joe and Dan for doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeD View Post
                              Stainjim, on the question of how long it takes for a read on the Benderspink Heartwalk, the answer is very sketchy because so few writers have reported responses. The same question was asked on the Amazon Studio forum site. Three writers said they received an answer, all passes. One said it came in five months. Mine came in six months, so it looks like the time for a read would vary 4-6 months. So far, no one on the AS site has reported finding representation with Benderspink as a result of the 2012 Heartwalk. But one writer has reported receiving an "open window" opportunity to submit more scripts. Not sure about writers on this site. For a success, the script would probably have to meet the specific interests of the Benderspink company and appeal to the reader's preferences. Good luck
                              For a success, it would have to be a damn good script...which is what Benderspink and every other reputable management firm is looking for. It's that simple. You make it sound like this is a contest or something. It's a charity with Joe adding some extra incentive to donate for a great cause.

Comment

Originally posted by CthulhuRises View Post
                                For a success, it would have to be a damn good script...which is what Benderspink and every other reputable management firm is looking for. It's that simple. You make it sound like this is a contest or something. It's a charity with Joe adding some extra incentive to donate for a great cause.
                                You know...no good deed goes unpunished.

Lot's of ingrates out there.

Agreed, at the end of the day, it's for charity.

My hats off to Daniel for all the extra work he's doing for this. He's not getting paid, or anything. He's just doing it for a good cause. Same with Joe.

Kudos boys!
                                Last edited by zenplato; 12-07-2012, 08:45 AM.
                                The best way out is always through. - Robert Frost

Comment

Working...
                                X