Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst Stephen King Adaptations

What do you think have been the all-around worst Stephen King translations-to-screen thus far?

Re: Worst Stephen King Adaptations

Originally posted by creativexec
    Any of the adaptations he wrote.

Interesting answer.

Comment

Originally posted by creativexec
      Creepshow was okay. But all his other adaptations, IMO, were pretty bad.

What would you say has been the number one worst adaptation so far?

Comment

You thought CARRIE was bad?
        "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
        - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Oops.
          "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
          - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Not to be confused with the Larry Cohen of CELLULAR and BLACK CAESAR fame.

Naw. Don't think screenplays are suited for the Coke Bottle Specs one.
            sigpic

"I'm gonna run ya ragged!"

"YEE HAWWW!!!"

Comment

I hated The Running Man. It was an interesting novella, but with the adaptation, everything interesting was discarded and replaced with a disco ball.

But then, I'm one of those folks that think that in a lot of ways The Shining was a piss-poor adaptation.
              "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Maximum Overdrive is such a bad, bad movie.

And King wrote and directed!

Comment

What kind of moron would have The Shawshank Redemption as one of the WORST Stephen King Adaptations, yet skip over total sheit like Dreamcatcher, Needful Things, Thinner, Pet Semetary, etc.

Where exactly do these websites find these people? Under the carpet after a fraternity keg party?

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
                    I hated The Running Man. It was an interesting novella, but with the adaptation, everything interesting was discarded and replaced with a disco ball.
                    Sure, but it had one of Arnie's best lines:

I live to see you eat that contract, but I hope you leave enough room for my fist because I'm going to ram it into your stomach and break your god-damn spine!

Comment

Originally posted by boski
                      I noticed a long time ago that all the best King-based movies are short on his trademark horror.
                      That doesn't hold water, as there are plenty of non-horror King adaptations that aren't on your list (like Running Man, Hearts in Atlantis, Apt Pupil, Firestarter, among others), simply because they are not very good. I also liked Carrie, The Shining and The Green Mile, which all had horror/supernatural elements.

It's really the luck of the draw sometimes, the right mix of talent hits the same project, a short story flies under the radar and doesn't have the same level of studio meddling, or even a long-dead project coming to life under better circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by boski
                        Just watched 1408 two nights ago. Another incoherent mess. A couple good gags to nowhere... How stuff like this makes it to the theatres always amazes me.

Wasn’t this one of the best-reviewed, most profitable movies of the year???

Comment

Carpenter really did a crappy job with Christine (he has admitted as much himself) and of course the whole Lawnmower Man saga was a disaster.

Is it a coincidence that the best King films were made by people like Kubrick, Croenenberg, Darabont and Reiner??

Comment

LAWNMOWER MAN

Nothing like the story, which is funny, and has to do with a pagan gardener.

MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE

Adapted by King, from a pile of his stories that concern evil machines. Just awful - bad dialogue, a story that goes nowhere, and not saved by Emilio Estevez.

The big problem with most King adaptations is that they miss the point - King stories, like PET SEMETARY, are not about zombies, they are about a family that loses a child. King takes a dramatic, people oriented story and explores it in the horror genre. The bad adapts ignore the drama and people and focus on the horror.

- Bill
                            Free Script Tips:
                            http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Anybody ever seen THE DARK HALF directed by George Romero?

Someone told me it's bad, but the original story is one of my favorite King tales.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X