No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Objectification of women

Originally posted by StoryWriter View Post
    "When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best," he said. "They're sending people that have lots of problems...they're bringing drugs, they're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."

What he actually said. And although he exaggerated the problem, and is a blowhard who doesn't think before he opens his mouth, there are areas of the US where this is absolutely true. Pretending it isn't, doesn't make the problem go away.
    It's okay. We can easily cut out part of someone's quote and post it out of context for a simple smartass shot on the internet.

Comment

Oh great, another self-loathing white guy with a political agenda in a gate-keeping position in Hollywood, trying to overcompensate for low-self-esteem by becoming a Twitter 'celebrity'.

Just what we need. Thanks.

Also, it's hilarious that we're going to Twitter-shame some no0b / hack writers in the name of 'feminism', as if Hollywood isn't closed to women who aren't 10s to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post
        Oh great, another self-loathing white guy with a political agenda in a gate-keeping position in Hollywood, trying to overcompensate for low-self-esteem by becoming a Twitter 'celebrity'.

Also, it's hilarious that we're going to Twitter-shame some no0b / hack writers in the name of 'feminism', as if Hollywood isn't closed to women who aren't 10s to begin with.
        Yeah... I was hoping he'd end each tweet with #BeTheChange.

Comment

Originally posted by omjs View Post
          Is there some reason those can't be the same thing?

Something I've noticed about all the various -ists is that they're taken to be personal character evaluations even when they're clearly describing behavior and nothing else. You can do something sexist or racist by accident or because you don't know any better. And when something is obviously applied disproportionately to one gender, over and over again, especially in a way that contributes to other sexist issues, I don't see what's wrong with calling it sexist.
          Disproportionately by one individual, yes. But in this case, each example is taken from a seperate screenplay.

If I made a single statement that can be seen as sexist, and so did other random people, and those numbers were added together, would you call us sexist as well? That would be highly unintelligent.
          Fiction writers are demigods among men...

Comment

Again, I never called any people sexist. The intros are sexist, especially when it's happening over and over again in a way that helps exclude women from Hollywood storytelling. Pointing out the pattern encourages people to avoid playing into it, inadvertently or not.

So yeah, if you said one sexist thing, I might say that that thing you said was sexist. Which wouldn't necessarily mean anything about your essential character. Which was exactly my point in the post you quoted.

Comment

Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post

I've tried reading your last sentence about three times, and I'm still not sure what you're trying to say.

The fact that this guy is pointing out terrible introductions of female characters in screenplays is somehow making it harder for women who aren't 10s to get roles in Hollywood? Can you expand on that? How does shaming people who describe nearly every female character as "beautiful but she doesn't know it" make it harder for non-perfectly symmetrical actresses get jobs?

Comment

I think his point was it seems a little like the pot calling the kettle black in that there is sexism across the board in Hollywood.

Comment

Originally posted by TheConnorNoden View Post
                  I think his point was it seems a little like the pot calling the kettle black in that there is sexism across the board in Hollywood.
                  But how does calling out sexism in one place hurt women in other parts of Hollywood?

Comment

He never once claimed that. The point was that it is stupid to all point and laugh at these amateur screenwriters for their idiotic views of women when the higher ups have that same outlook but don't get shamed for it.

Comment

He never once claimed that. The point was that it is stupid to all point and laugh at these amateur screenwriters for their idiotic views of women when the higher ups have that same outlook but don't get shamed for it.
                      So let some sexism slide because we can't stop all sexism?

And especially here on a screenwriting forum. These are our people making these mistakes. Isn't it good to call it out?

Comment

^^^ And that's probably because they understand that most normal people have sex drives, meaning well-adjusted women also objectify men, and those same (normal) people buy tickets. You can write for people with hang-ups or you can write for the general viewing audience. Up to you.

And let me be clear. We all know that *only* writing women as sex objects is wrong. That's NOT what I'm alluding to. This thread seems to be taking a creepy turn that implies it's never okay to write anyone as a sex object, or even display physical norms of attraction -- that most viewers understand (and probably appreciate). It's as if *some* would like to erase natural physical attraction all together. Very wierd.

Comment

Originally posted by nativeson View Post
                          ^^^ And that's probably because they understand that most normal people have sex drives, meaning well-adjusted women also objectify men, and those same (normal) people buy tickets. You can write for people with hang-ups or you can write for the general viewing audience. Up to you.

And let me be clear. We all know that *only* writing women as sex objects is wrong. That's NOT what I'm alluding to. This thread seems to be taking a creepy turn that implies it's never okay to write anyone as a sex object, or even display physical norms of attraction -- that most viewers understand (and probably appreciate). It's as if *some* would like to erase natural physical attraction all together. Very wierd.
                          Oh I agree. I'll be the first to admit to sexualising every attractive woman that I've ever seen. It's fine to have desire. It'd just be nice if they usually had three dimensional personalities behind them too within blockbuster films. Though I do think it is getting better. Slowly.

Comment

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
                            So let some sexism slide because we can't stop all sexism?

And especially here on a screenwriting forum. These are our people making these mistakes. Isn't it good to call it out?
                            They aren't my people. If it makes you feel better to point out the shortcomings of others be my guest.

Comment

I don't think what you refer to as a "self-loathing white guy with a political agenda in a gate-keeping position in Hollywood" (that's a mouthful!) is just calling out these examples because they refer to women's beauty or describe them mainly physically.

First, he's not shaming the writers; he's offering up these examples so we can both analyze and laugh at them. It's not just that they sexualize women to a ridiculous degree, they also all seem tone-deaf about women's characters, desires, or souls.

It's true that women sexualize men, of course. When I was in film school taking a course on classic film comedy, the female students played a game where we talked about which male comedy star was the most f***able. Groucho Marx was the winner hands-down, Buster Keaton a close second.

Comment

They aren't my people. If it makes you feel better to point out the shortcomings of others be my guest.
                                You have no sense of community among other screenwriters?

Comment

Working...
                                X