View Single Post
Old 11-26-2019, 08:12 AM   #9
finalact4

Default Re: Film Rights Problem

I think you have to attempt to secure the TV/film rights. I would choose your words more carefully and avoid "make" them do something, because that gives an impression that you hold some power or leverage over them when you do not. I'm not trying to be a dick or someshit, just noting that your approach can affect the outcome of your efforts.

Hopefully, they'll agree, but I suspect they will not. I could be wrong.

The thing is, a studio will want to have copyright ownership transferred over to them before making an investment. This is one of the most valuable aspects of IP, the ability to own the copyright for sequels, prequels, spinoffs, and TV rights. I can't see a studio investing millions of dollars into a project that their competition can come in and profit off their hard work.

One of the first questions anyone interested in the property will confirm, is that you own the copyright to the material. If you do not, that will stop the forward progress for a lot of companies.

Maybe your version will be amazing and the studio will work hard on your behalf to secure the copyrights at that point, but the chances are against you. It would be better to secure the rights first. Other DDP'rs have made good points to consider.

Try to get the rights. The worst that can happen is they say no.

Good luck,
FA4

www.LisaMolusis.com
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote