No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Juno - Playing Everywhere Christmas Day

Originally posted by montevideo View Post
    Gotta say that those that say she just got up one day and wrote for two months and wala a master piece is so out of touch with what really happen. Diablo took months to writ this thing as she went from part-time stripper to a full fledge pole dancer she met up with high rollers those that don't dash on singles but twenties and hundreds. truth is she found an in either through those strip house clients or other. she pounded that strip over and over, eventually the concept was the selling point, though I'm sure she had good gusto with her dialogue.

just trying to make the point that the media likes to hype up new comers as if they just one day picked up the pen and presto 60 days later a full fledge film.
    it could make some newbees say dam " why am i taking months to get my **** off the ground? **** not good enough? i don't know. all i know is that rewrites take months to get to a production level.

not trying to water the flames of glory here :-)
    LMAO!!!
    http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

I hadn't seen JUNO until now.

Ellen Page is just the sweetest. Nice LITTLE movie.

Oscar-worthy though? OSCAR worthy?

And ... really ... if one were going to design a movie to secretly slip in very traditional social propaganda, very ... "lets preach right-to-life" to the kids while maintaining a veneer of hipness, for example ...

JUNO is your subversive trojan horse, imo.

Every so often, I have to remind myself: who is culture and who is counter-culture, these days?

That said: I would bomb clinics or sumthin' if Ellen Page starred in the well-designed propaganda vehicle, yes. Because those babies have lil finger nails! I know HARD CANDY made me want to go out and entrap perverts for a good two or three weeks.

Ellen? Ms. Page? Please don't make a movie sympathetic about the Taliban next, k'?

JUNO was a lovely movie. But ... writing OSCAR's? Yikes.
      sigpic
      "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
      that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves."
      -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

Re: Juno - Diablo Cody is pro-choice

Tabula, free free to call me ignorant, but I can't understand from your previous post if you do think that Juno was "designed" to have a pro-life agenda -- or not. But I think you said it was. Could you please clarify?
        And what was that about bombing clinics? Didn't get that, either.

Now, whether you do or don't think there was a designed pro-life agenda in this film, I can tell you that Diablo Cody, based on one interview I read with her, is pro-choice. Taken right from that interview...

"I've had to field so many questions about the sinister pro-life agenda of Juno," she says. "In fact, Juno's decision not to go through with the abortion was simply a narrative device so that Juno - and the audience - would get to meet the adoptive parents. Juno never moralises about the choice she makes. I'm pro-choice, so for me it was very important that the movie did not seem to have any kind of anti-choice agenda."

So there you go. It was a "choice" she made for this particular story. No Trojan horse or intention to slip in a pro-life agenda to moviegoers.

As for Juno being an Oscar nominee, I would say that during any other year it might not be valid to say that it's worthy. However, when you look at some of the other Oscar nominated films out this past year -- both studio and independent -- and weigh in audience appeal, originality and execution (including acting and directing), I would say that it is worthy of a nod. Even though Blood and Old Men were extremely well done films, I did not enjoy them half as much as Juno. IMO it was like this year's Little Miss Sunshine. A critical success and fan favorite.

Comment

Bob, you're right -- she's who she is, and she does have a distinct voice. It served her well in Juno, and it may serve her well in the future. Only time will tell. And as for your comment on her being white stripper trailer trash, you really don't know what goes on behind the scenes with any screenwriter, do you? Some could be pedophiles, drug addicts, alcoholics, wife beaters, you name it. Again, she's who she is -- and she admits it.
          For one, I wish her well.

Comment

Originally posted by bobmartin66
            My take on Juno...

I could feel Diablo Cody coming through in the dialog of Juno...

Stripper trailer trash...

I've since seen her in interviews. I think she is who she is.

To those who have to work with her, good luck.

Bob
            I haven't seen you say anything here that is anywhere near as smart or clever as her. The above sounds like garden variety misogyny to me.

Comment

Come on, guys, don't start up with personal attacks (several people above are guilty of that).

Keep it civil and just about the film.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Originally posted by bobmartin66
                My take on Juno...

I could feel Diablo Cody coming through in the dialog of Juno...

Stripper trailer trash...

I've since seen her in interviews. I think she is who she is.

To those who have to work with her, good luck.

Bob

Sorry, couldn't resist it..

Despite this some folk took notice, gave her a chance and she's proved herself and it all came from her sucessful blog of which you speak..

I agree with you Bob but I can't help thinking she's gone on despite our reservations..

Comment

I saw it the other day and it did, for me, what it was supposed to do. I laughed quite a bit - not many films do that for me anymore. Having said that, the first act was so self-consciously smart-arse heavy that it almost put me off, but then the characters settled into themselves, they slowed down on the characterising - did more "being" - and it all blended nicely.

As for the characters being realistic... IT'S A COMEDY. You get that right? And isn't that a golden rule about comedy - that as long as it's funny, then it doesn't have to be realistic.

So, IMHO, it was a funny, wry little romantic comedy. I mean, it was a distinct twist on the standard rom com fair, but that's what it was ultimately.

Whether it's Oscar worthy - the comment above comparing it to Little Miss Sunshine was spot on. I'd also put Lost In Translation in there too. It's a nice little film that won't change the world but did make many of us laugh (at the characters but also at ourselves) and so it was different enough to warrant attention.

Will it win best screenplay? I haven't seen the other nominees yet, so I have no idea, but I do find that the winner is rarely the "best" script as I would define it anyway. Occasionally they get this right, but often it's about the actual film that comes out at the end. I doubt Juno is big enough to conquer all, but it's different enough that it might slip in when no one is looking.
                  sigpic

Website
                  Tweets
                  Book

Comment

The trick for Diablo Cody is - and it ain't gonna be easy - is how to deal with life after you're yesturday's news. The heat on her can't and won't continue. Even if she writes another winner (meaning boxoffice) she will just be another working screenwriter, but with a lot of money. The tale will be told about her when not as much attention is paid, and how she reacts to it. If she tries like hell to get in the tabs, newspapers and tv interviews, she'll be killed off. Quickly.

Remember Callie Khouri winning an Oscar for her first script Thelma and Louise? And after that... not much.

Comment

BAFTA

Film Awards Winners in 2008

16 January 08

Winners are highlighted below in bold

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

AMERICAN GANGSTER – Steven Zaillian
                      JUNO – Diablo Cody
                      THE LIVES OF OTHERS – Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck
                      MICHAEL CLAYTON – Tony Gilroy
                      THIS IS ENGLAND – Shane Meadows

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

ATONEMENT – Christopher Hampton
                      THE DIVING BELL AND THE BUTTERFLY – Ronald Harwood
                      THE KITE RUNNER – David Benioff
                      NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN – Joel Coen/Ethan Coen
                      THERE WILL BE BLOOD – Paul Thomas Anderson

Complete list if BAFTA 2008 winners here:-
                      http://static.bafta.org/awards/film/...08,224,BA.html

Comment

Re: Juno - Diablo Cody is pro-choice

Originally posted by Pasquali56 View Post
                        Tabula, free free to call me ignorant, but I can't understand from your previous post if you do think that Juno was "designed" to have a pro-life agenda -- or not. But I think you said it was. Could you please clarify?
                        And what was that about bombing clinics? Didn't get that, either.
                        No need to call you "ignorant" ... I was just voicing my reaction to JUNO, and mostly I was just glowing with affection for Ellen Page, rather than making a definitive statement about JUNO's writer's politics.

If you picked up on my ambiguity (open to various interpretations), that's just my ambiguity.

Originally posted by tabula
                        And ... really ... if one were going to design a movie to secretly slip in very traditional social propaganda, very ... "lets preach right-to-life" to the kids while maintaining a veneer of hipness, for example ...

JUNO is your subversive trojan horse, imo.

Every so often, I have to remind myself: who is culture and who is counter-culture, these days?
                        If you tell me Diablo Cody says she's "pro-choice" then I'll believe it.

If I suggest that JUNO would be demonstrating itself to be the excellent vehicle to slip some "right to life" messages in under the radar of a not "right-to-life" audience and a liberal "pro-choice" media culture ... that would be the way to do it.

Ex-stripper screenwriter.
                        Smart-talking, funny, no nonsense character like Juno.
                        Under the Trojan Horse guise of rebellion, the beating heart of traditional pro-life values.

Sixteen year old girls! Pregnant? Desperate? Become the breeders for the Rich and socially uptight.

Aging males! Abandon your "rock star" dreams (even though your music has paid for that very affluent house ... settle down, abandon your dreams ... NEST) Stay in what may or may not be a loveless or suffocating relationship! DON'T leave your wife while she's pregnant with your baby (oh, except ... she's not pregnant, it's not either of your's baby) ... Grow up by, yeah, selling out?

Make the guy an even bigger slease (but only if we're accepting my CONSERVATIVE PROPAGANDA angle) by suggesting that he's hitting on a sixteen year old girl (though, I'll grant you, I'm unsure if I read that correctly. Was it implied he was hitting on Juno? Certainly I don't think we're meant to think he's leaving his wife because of her. But definitely I think we're meant to think he's CONNECTING with her in a way he doesn't with his wife, right? Juno is reminding him of the cool chicks he HAS lost from his life, the cool dreams he's lost)

hmmmm.

I could go on, suggesting an odd social and cultural agenda hidden in JUNO ... but I suppose that's all been discussed. I came to the movie late, etc.

So ... I'm not saying JUNO is the harbinger of a Republican victory in 2008.

I'm saying, if JUNO is under-the-radar Trojan Horse propaganda ... it is wonderfully subtle, and it mis-directs the eye so that the message stabs directly into the heart unseen.

It's how the Right should design their propaganda.
                        sigpic
                        "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
                        -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

And I thought it was just a terrific little feel good movie...
                          TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Yeah, tell it to Winston Smith over at the Ministry of Truth.
                            sigpic
                            -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

Saw it tonight. It had it's moments like Little Miss Sunshine but nothing I'd write home about.

The stink-eye gag had me in tears though.
                              One meets his destiny often in the road he takes to avoid it. - French Proverb

Comment

great flick.

anyone who thought this was overhyped was wrong.

ellen paige was adorable.

i really want her now.

but first i must sleep.

Comment

Working...
                                X