Why aren't there more producers like Jason Blum?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why aren't there more producers like Jason Blum?

The guy consistent puts out movies in the 3-10 million dollar range, sometimes with well known names. They often double/triple/quadruple their budgets the very first weekend.

Why aren't there other producers doing this?

I know he's obviously a smart dude but surely what he's doing isn't magic and can be replicated?

I don't know much at all about the producing side of it so maybe it's a dumb question.

Re: Why aren't there more producers like Jason Blum?

If more people could do it, they would.

Comment

I would say, first of all, he's got a factory setup that works well for him, and it's not necessarily easy to replicate all of the parts.

Another part of it is that they give directors a lot of leeway, within the budget, and a lot of producers aren't comfortable with that.

They've obviously done really well but early on, I suspect they were on the edge of not being profitable for a long time. They make A LOT of $2m movies, the majority of which probably don't really make money. It's a lot of churn.

Comment

Originally posted by slupo View Post
        The guy consistent puts out movies in the 3-10 million dollar range, sometimes with well known names. They often double/triple/quadruple their budgets the very first weekend.

Why aren't there other producers doing this?

I know he's obviously a smart dude but surely what he's doing isn't magic and can be replicated?

I don't know much at all about the producing side of it so maybe it's a dumb question.
        An insightful read: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-morgue-683212
        Twitter: @WriterLe

Comment

Originally posted by juunit View Post
          If more people could do it, they would.
          Exactly.

I've heard stories of crew members being miserable on those types of low budget sets also. Great for the lead actor who's suffering but getting backend points, not so much for the crew and below the line people working for scale in miserable weather/conditions.
          One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Originally posted by Juno Styles View Post
            Exactly.

I've heard stories of crew members being miserable on those types of low budget sets also. Great for the lead actor who's suffering but getting backend points, not so much for the crew and below the line people working for scale in miserable weather/conditions.
            I don't know about that last part - the vast majority of Blum's hits have been mostly interior shoots, and that's intentional. They'll build one set or rent one house and that's part of why it works for so cheap.

And going into french hours or worse - meal penalty - is the fastest way to have a runaway budget. There also isn't a huge turnover of department heads on Blumhouse films that would be indicative of "nightmare" productions. I'd venture a guess that any bad shoot stories out of Blumhouse are unintentional. Don't forget Blumhouse also produced Whiplash - and there wasn't anything barebones about that film.
            Write, rite, wright... until you get it RIGHT.

Comment

Originally posted by asteven50 View Post
              And going into french hours or worse - meal penalty - is the fastest way to have a runaway budget. There also isn't a huge turnover of department heads on Blumhouse films that would be indicative of "nightmare" productions.
              I know someone who has worked in a scheduling-related capacity on several Blumhouse films, and ditto to both of those.

One of the big advantages of a contained space is that you almost never HAVE to do overtime. After all, you're going to be in the same space tomorrow. So while on more logistically complex shoots, you have to get those next two shots today, on a Blumhouse-Style production you have another option: adjust to the shooting plan to get other stuff in fewer shots, and get this shot tomorrow rather than in OT.

You want to take more time than we scheduled to get today's shoot? Okay - but it's coming out of something we're shooting here later.

Also, he's done enough of those films that I have to think he wouldn't still be doing them if they were miserable.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronaldinho View Post
                I know someone who has worked in a scheduling-related capacity on several Blumhouse films, and ditto to both of those.

One of the big advantages of a contained space is that you almost never HAVE to do overtime. After all, you're going to be in the same space tomorrow. So while on more logistically complex shoots, you have to get those next two shots today, on a Blumhouse-Style production you have another option: adjust to the shooting plan to get other stuff in fewer shots, and get this shot tomorrow rather than in OT.

You want to take more time than we scheduled to get today's shoot? Okay - but it's coming out of something we're shooting here later.

Also, he's done enough of those films that I have to think he wouldn't still be doing them if they were miserable.
                Transpo is a huge piece of a budget--having minimal or zero company moves is extremely advantageous.

Comment

Working...
                X