Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golden Globes 2018

Any surprises or snubs? Some people thought Wonder Woman or Logan would get some nominations. The Big Sick had some fans here but got no love from the Hollywood Foreign Press Association. Jordan Peele was shut out in Best Director and Best Screenplay categories for Get Out. Thoughts?
    "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Re: Golden Globes 2018

No thoughts since I didn't see the show, but a trivia question based on your signature / quote:

What other song has the exact same melody as Prince's "1999"?

NO GOOGLING

Comment

Originally posted by Furious Anjel View Post
      Any surprises or snubs? Some people thought Wonder Woman or Logan would get some nominations. The Big Sick had some fans here but got no love from the Hollywood Foreign Press Association. Jordan Peele was shut out in Best Director and Best Screenplay categories for Get Out. Thoughts?
      Overall, it wasn't too surprising. I never really expected any superhero movies to break in -- the membership of these awards show groups skews older, and they still (sadly) only think of the films as "comic book movies." Don't expect them to get noms at the Oscars, either. Ironic, since the field of nominated movies was expanded to 10 back in 2010 in response to a "comic book movie" (The Dark Night) getting snubbed.

I think Jordan still has a decent shot at Director at the Oscars. The Academy likes to include at least one young up-and-coming filmmaker in the mix, and he and Greta Gerwig are vying for that spot this year. As for Screenplay, he also has a good shot since the Academy divides it into Original and Adapted (unlike the Globes).

It's award season again!!

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post
      No thoughts since I didn't see the show, but a trivia question based on your signature / quote:

What other song has the exact same melody as Prince's "1999"?

NO GOOGLING
      Phil Collins, Sussudio (think that's how you spell it). No Googling needed; am just a massive fan of Prince and 80s music in general.
      "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
        Phil Collins, Sussudio (think that's how you spell it). No Googling needed; am just a massive fan of Prince and 80s music in general.
        Wrong! Hint: it's a female band.

Comment

R&B or Pop?

Comment

Dammit! No idea. But come on, Sussudio is very similar to 1999, think Phil even said so himself : )

Comment

Dammit! No idea. But come on, Sussudio is very similar to 1999, think Phil even said so himself : )
              Another hint: both songs begin with a dream.

Prince wrote both songs, btw.

Song # 2 begins with a dream and... a kiss.

Come on, man, this is easy!!

Comment

Another hint: both songs begin with a dream.

Prince wrote both songs, btw.

Song # 2 begins with a dream and... a kiss.

Come on, man, this is easy!!
                Manic Monday - The Bangles

Comment

Manic Monday - The Bangles
                  Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner! I love both those songs.

Comment

Overall, it wasn't too surprising. I never really expected any superhero movies to break in -- the membership of these awards show groups skews older, and they still (sadly) only think of the films as "comic book movies." Don't expect them to get noms at the Oscars, either. Ironic, since the field of nominated movies was expanded to 10 back in 2010 in response to a "comic book movie" (The Dark Night) getting snubbed.

I think Jordan still has a decent shot at Director at the Oscars. The Academy likes to include at least one young up-and-coming filmmaker in the mix, and he and Greta Gerwig are vying for that spot this year. As for Screenplay, he also has a good shot since the Academy divides it into Original and Adapted (unlike the Globes).

It's award season again!!

I agree about Peele's chances with the Oscars.

Deadpool got two Golden Globe nominations last year so they're not averse to superhero stories. Wonder Woman and Logan are good films, but I never saw them as major award contenders, especially Wonder Woman. It might get an Oscar nomination for something like costume design though.

That's a good guess. I've always though they sounded similar.

Comment

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner! I love both those songs.
                      I don't really hear the resemblance, haha. Whatever, both good songs.

I agree about Peele's chances with the Oscars.

Deadpool got two Golden Globe nominations last year so they're not averse to superhero stories. Wonder Woman and Logan are good films, but I never saw them as major award contenders, especially Wonder Woman.
                      Good point. Although Deadpool had it easier since it was competing in the comedy category. Drama is a lot more competitive.

Comment

Working...
                      X