Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super 8 = E.T.?

Am I the only person who thought Super 8 was basically a remake of Spielberg's E.T.? It's as if Abram's took E.T. and did a simple substitution - change one monster for another, different town, different kids. Same premise, structure, themes, same motifs and symbolism.

Way too many coincidences for it to be coincidental.
    "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Re: Super 8 = E.T.?

Spielberg was a producer...

Comment

E.T. ate Reese's Pieces...
      "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

JJ spoke many times about Super 8 being his own personal tribute to Spielberg's Amblin films of the 1980's. Add that plus the fact that Spielberg was a producer, you're going to get something very Spielbergy.
        @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
          JJ spoke many times about Super 8 being his own personal tribute to Spielberg's Amblin films of the 1980's. Add that plus the fact that Spielberg was a producer, you're going to get something very Spielbergy.
          +1

It also had a GOONIES element to it with the ragtag bunch of kids/friends trying to solve a mystery... which fits right into the Spielberg tribute idea.

Comment

I miss the old Spielber.
            what the head makes cloudy the heart makes very clear

Comment

Personally, did not see it as a remake or rip off of any kind.

I liked the movie a lot. Thought it was a fun ride with a lot of heart and some well timed laughs.

Comment

E.T. Memories

Originally posted by Kwinnky View Post
                I miss the old Spielber.
                I miss Gordon Shumway, (and thought E.T. was a very stupid alien).
                JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Re: E.T. Memories

Originally posted by Fortean View Post
                  I miss Gordon Shumway, (and thought E.T. was a very stupid alien).
                  Stupid? That's heartless, man. E.T. managed to build his own device out of everyday items so he could phone home and catch a ride back to his home planet.

Alf is fat, lazy, and does nothing but eat all day. Plus he doesn't pay any board or rent. And to top it off, none of his jokes are funny.
                  @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Re: E.T. Memories

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
                    Stupid? That's heartless, man. E.T. managed to build his own device out of everyday items so he could phone home and catch a ride back to his home planet.

Alf is fat, lazy, and does nothing but eat all day. Plus he doesn't pay any board or rent. And to top it off, none of his jokes are funny.
                    Alf is for stoners while ET is for children... and probably stoners too.

Comment

HA! I kill me.

Comment

while i think it aspired to be Abrams's "E.T." for me it fell woefully short. none of the drama, merely aping Spielberg's style from that era

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
                          while i think it aspired to be Abrams's "E.T." for me it fell woefully short. none of the drama, merely aping Spielberg's style from that era
                          Basically.
                          "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
                            Yes. Just saw it. I found myself way more interested in the relationship between the boy and girl, and the kids trying to put together their movie than all of the implausible pyrotechnics. (When are the CGI people going recognize you can't stand in the middle of a maelstrom of flying glass and metal and come away without a single scratch?) I wish sometimes people would trust simplicity in their story-telling.

And those damn blue lens flares.

I wanted very much to like this. Disappointed. But that Elle Fanning is one to watch.

Comment

It's E.T in a What If? universe where Steven Spielberg was replaced by Michael Bay.

Comment

Working...
                              X