Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Unrepped, just got offer from producer

If anyone out there can help, I'd be very grateful. It's exciting but a little scary.

I have received calls from two different producers in the past few days, the latter wants to make an offer to me to option my screenplay.

Now, I don't have the details on the contract(said he will send it tonight), but I am unrepped and have zero idea what I'm doing when it comes to this. Hence, the scary part.

1. Do I need an entertainment lawyer?

2. Is the up-front option $ negotiable? I know this company has produced over ten films in the past two years with some big(ish) name actors.

3. I don't want to settle for a $1 option or free option(I'm not saying it is, but should I counter/can I counter, or will that kill any chance of a deal?

4. Do I need an entertainment lawyer? Lol

5. They seem very excited for the project and "want to get it made." Is this what they tell everyone? He said they do not option a lot of scripts, but ones they want to get made.

Re: Help! Unrepped, just got offer from producer

If anyone out there can help, I'd be very grateful. It's exciting but a little scary.

I have received calls from two different producers in the past few days, the latter wants to make an offer to me to option my screenplay.

Now, I don't have the details on the contract(said he will send it tonight), but I am unrepped and have zero idea what I'm doing when it comes to this. Hence, the scary part.

1. Do I need an entertainment lawyer?

Yes.

2. Is the up-front option $ negotiable? I know this company has produced over ten films in the past two years with some big(ish) name actors.

Yes.

3. I don't want to settle for a $1 option or free option(I'm not saying it is, but should I counter/can I counter, or will that kill any chance of a deal?

Your lawyer should negotiate.

4. Do I need an entertainment lawyer? Lol

See 1-3 Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

5. They seem very excited for the project and "want to get it made." Is this what they tell everyone? He said they do not option a lot of scripts, but ones they want to get made.

Comment

1. Of course you can sign anything without an attorney's guidance so you don't "need" one, but it is VERY strongly advised. I would not sign any deal without consulting one, especially if you are not familiar with the terms and what to look out for.

2. Everything is negotiable. View it as a conversation starter; just don't be a jerk and make a bunch of demands, but you have every right to counter with what you feel is reasonable and in your interest.

3. See #2.

4. See #1. You kind of do. Any since hiring one for this will come out of your pocket, all the more reason to get more than a $1 option, otherwise it will end up costing you more money than them just to give them the rights to try and set it up.

5. Yes, that is what they say.

Congratulations and good luck. Oh, and try not to get too excited.

Comment

Get a lawyer... everything is negotiable.
        "The most terrifying thing is to accept oneself completely." ~Jung

Comment

I know this is exciting and everything but let me be the voice of reason and say sign the option ONLY AFTER CAREFUL CONSIDERATION.

It's easy to get swept up with a producer being interested in your script. They know all the right things to say to you to get you excited. But you should do a lot of research on who this guy is. Ask him what other projects he has going on. Ask him what the last project he got off the ground was. Try to figure out if this guy is legit AND truly excited and pumped to get your movie made.

Because the truth is you're not going to get a lot of money for the option. Honestly, 100-500 bucks probably. And the last thing you want is your script tied up for 12-18 months with a producer who options a lot of projects but doesn't get anything made. Trust me. I know how that is.

Anyway, just do your due diligence and don't let your emotions get the better of you. This may be a great producer and you have nothing to worry about. Or he may be a loser who will waste your time. Just something to consider!

Comment

From what I've read on here from people in the trenches is that the $1 or free option is the common play right now for producers. It costs them nothing to see of they can raise funds and attract talent for the project. Not saying yours is, but I'd prepare a reaction on your part if it is.

If I was you, the fact that you impressed a producer with credits and access to talent is interested in your script. I wouldn't be afraid to walk away and solicit the script to agencies and managing firms. Chances are they will see what the producer saw and take you on and try to set up a better deal for you than a free option or a lowball option.

Comment

Thank you everyone! This was very helpful.

Comment

I would love to take a look at the script (since it is still available at this point)... hit me up for e-mail via PM.

Mark
                "The most terrifying thing is to accept oneself completely." ~Jung

Comment

Originally posted by markerstone View Post
                  I would love to take a look at the script (since it is still available at this point)... hit me up for e-mail via PM.

Mark
                  You got it, Mark. PM sent.

Comment

Working...
                  X