Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scene Headings and the SteadyCam

In that other thread there was a scene where a single conversation moved through three locations. I found the three Scene Headings a bit weird.

We want the scene to flow smoothly. Can the same thing happen without the Scene Headings? Perhaps mention the location change in the Action (In the hallway blah, blah, blah..., and, Now in the kitchen blah, blah, blah ...).

Did the invention of the SteadyCam change the way we can format specs? I'm starting to think, "yes".
    "I am the story itself; its source, its voice, its music."
    - Clive Barker, Galilee

Re: Scene Headings and the SteadyCam

No, nothing's changed. And you do need to put scene headings, because sets need to be built, locations picked, action blocked. It isn't your choice whether or not a Steadicam is used, so you write the scene as if it were going to be filmed using separate shots.

A "spec" is no different than a script written on assignment, or any other kind of script. They aren't formated any differently. You're just writing it for free.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXAlGHptcY4

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
        Nice clip.

Thank you, dgl, that really makes more sense.

So even in something like the clip, I would have a separate Scene Heading for the bedroom even though it could be filmed from the hallway.

"Never-mind".
        - Clive Barker, Galilee

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1mHt...61752&index=13

Comment

Thank you, maralyn. Very good example!
            - Clive Barker, Galilee

Comment

Originally posted by TwoBrad Bradley View Post

So even in something like the clip, I would have a separate Scene Heading for the bedroom even though it could be filmed from the hallway.
              Unless it's important to keep the POV in the hallway for some reason. This was a director's trick. A gimmick. It probably wasn't important to the story that we be kept back from the action.

Comment

You shouldn't really worry yourself how it's going to be shot. You certainly shouldn't pre empt the use of a steadycam. You're focussing on the wrong thing if you're thinking it's up to you.

You still need the scene headings, because it's a location change.

Comment

Originally posted by maralyn View Post
                  You shouldn't really worry yourself how it's going to be shot. You certainly shouldn't pre empt the use of a steadycam. You're focussing on the wrong thing if you're thinking it's up to you.

You still need the scene headings, because it's a location change.
                  Thanks again, maralyn, I thought I was having an epiphany, but it must have been gas.
                  - Clive Barker, Galilee

Comment

Originally posted by TwoBrad Bradley View Post
                    In that other thread there was a scene where a single conversation moved through three locations. I found the three Scene Headings a bit weird.

We want the scene to flow smoothly. Can the same thing happen without the Scene Headings? Perhaps mention the location change in the Action (In the hallway blah, blah, blah..., and, Now in the kitchen blah, blah, blah ...).

Did the invention of the SteadyCam change the way we can format specs? I'm starting to think, "yes".
                    Some people might indicate the location changes with minislugs.

Can't count on the SteadyCam, because for all you know some foolish director might decide to shoot the whole thing with a dizziness-inducing handheld...
                    "Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.-
                    ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by Ravenlocks View Post
                      Some people might indicate the location changes with minislugs.

A minislug is the exact same thing as a slugline or scene heading. The only difference is that you don't use INT. or EXT. for purely cosmetic reasons. The term seems to have originated on this board.

Comment

And I think they're a bit overused here. And probably inappropriately. I usually find them confusing. What? Is this now a flashback? What's going on?

Comment

I mean, I don't know what you learn in writing courses, but at film school, you're taught that every single location has it's own complete slug. For the purpose of production scheduling.

Even if it's a really fast action sequence that moves through a lot of locations at high speed.

I don't even read sluglines when I'm reading. They're not meant to be read.

Comment

Originally posted by dgl View Post
                            A minislug is the exact same thing as a slugline or scene heading. The only difference is that you don't use INT. or EXT. for purely cosmetic reasons. The term seems to have originated on this board.
                            I know what a minislug is. But I don't regard them as full scene headings, probably because, you know, they're missing the INT. or EXT. So I chose to point out that some people might choose to use them to indicate different locations *within* a location.

Originally posted by maralyn View Post
                            And I think they're a bit overused here. And probably inappropriately. I usually find them confusing. What? Is this now a flashback? What's going on?
                            I'm not a fan of them either. But some people like them.
                            "Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.-
                            ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

The INT./EXT. is simply implied, as is the DAY/NIGHT. You only leave off INT./EXT. or DAY/NIGHT if it's completely obvious what it is. I supose it's kinda like in Spanish, where you're allowed to leave off the Yo in Yo soy. Leaving it off doesn't make soy a miniverb.

I just think it's strange that so many people here differentiate between a slug and a minislug, when all it comes down to is stylistics.

Comment

Working...
                              X