Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gravity (Teaser)

98% rating on Rotten Tomatoes (207-212.) With a 9.1 score. (Citizen Kane was 9.4) There's never been a film with over 200 reviews that's scored this high. Toy Story 3 was 99%, but had an 8.8 average rating.

This may be the best reviewed film you'll ever see in your lifetime.
    I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Disappointed and not sure why. Normally, I love any realistic space/sci-fi movie like this. I think I used up all my thrills when I first saw a preview. But visuals were amazing; I'd like to know how they did that stuff.

I'll quote a reader review on Metacritic by someone with the handle MKUltraman that I agree with:

"Dull performances and paper thin characters populate this mercifully brief film. Despite impressive visuals, the film never really comes alive. Bullock sets feminism back 50 years by portraying a hysterical, incapable astronaut while the most basic rules of science and space travel are all but ignored. Those looking for genuine sci-fi should avoid this film at all costs."

Avoiding it at all costs is a little extreme, but those words capture my feeling about the movie. So I guess I do know why I was disappointed.

Comment

I enjoyed it, thought it delivered on everything that the trailer promised. A few questionable narrative choices made to keep the momentum building, but I suppose they were sorta nit-picky. Not deal breakers.
        "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

The thing about this film (which we loved) is that it had heart. Yes, the FX were mind-blowing (and Oscar-winning), the suspense heart-stopping, but woven through it all was theme, the story. I admire Alfonso Cuarón for making the bold choice to allow theme to shine through, to breathe, to be cinematic, rather than shoving it under a bunch of tech gadgetry and explosions. I'm sure the space geeks will find flaws in the astrophysics, etc., but who cares? If you've seen the film, then you'll likely know which theme-scenes I'm referring to.

Comment

Good film but don't understand how it's being touted everywhere as the best film in a long time or such.

Comment

Originally posted by Goliath View Post
              Good film but don't understand how it's being touted everywhere as the best film in a long time or such.
              The critics consensus is that the dialogue and story was weak, and full of cliches. But this isn't a novel, it's a film. The visual elements always dominate. That's why it's getting so much buzz. Conversely, If the FX were half-assed, it would've gotten as much hype as Scary Movie 5 did.

Comment

Originally posted by bioprofessor View Post
                I'm sure the space geeks will find flaws in the astrophysics, etc., but who cares?
                Space geeks . I haven't seen Gravity yet but will make a point of it. Anyone know if they did the cgi in 4k? I know they shot on the Alexa but I'm hoping the cgi's resolution is higher (I hate 2k on a theater screen - it just doesn't cut it, imo).

Comment

Originally posted by nativeson View Post
                  Haven't read the script, but my first impression is "Open Water" in space, with the inevitability of gravity as the shark/s.
                  Once again, I agree with myself

SPOILERS SPOILERS

SPOILERS SPOILERS

SPOILERS SPOILERS

Except for the ending, which I liked. Great film

Comment

Originally posted by bioprofessor View Post
                    I'm sure the space geeks will find flaws in the astrophysics, etc., but who cares? If you've seen the film, then you'll likely know which theme-scenes I'm referring to.
                    The astrophysicists are already complaining - about Bullock's hair not floating around how it should and how the way basic forces work the wrong way round in some scenes. But let them worry about that ...
                    "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

Just saw it today. I had avoided reading any comments until after seeing the film. Interestingly, I had the same reaction at first as Native Son -- "Open Water" in space. But then it went into a more wonderful, haunting and metaphysical direction. It also is an example of how FX can be used to support and enhance the story rather than be a substitute for story. I disagree with those who fault Clooney and Bullock for being movie stars. This film needed big stars; it's a two-hander and the stars brought all their experience and gravitas to their roles.

Late Night Writer

Comment

Originally posted by DavidK View Post
                        The astrophysicists are already complaining - about Bullock's hair not floating around how it should and how the way basic forces work the wrong way round in some scenes. But let them worry about that ...
                        I have a degree in physics so I also was nitpicking on Twitter throughout the entire film like Neil deGrasse Tyson was... JK

SPOILER ALERT

To be fair, there were some basic laws defied. The faster you move, the higher your orbital trajectory becomes. The shuttle was moving at around 17,000 MPH in low Earth orbit. A debris field moving at 50,000 MPH would have flown off into space and escaped Earth's gravity entirely.

Also, after the rocket burst, her Soyuz was moving FAST towards the Chinese station. There was no way in hell she could have slowed herself enough to grab a hold of it. In reality, when she blew the top, and was sucked out, she would have smashed into the station at 1000 MPH and disintegrated -- I would've preferred this ending

Comment

Saw it today ...I will say (and probably argue) that it is the best
                          ANIMATED FILM I've ever seen. As 80% is... well... "computer animated".

The lines are getting blurrier and blurrier.
                          INT. DR. GONZO'S HOTEL ROOM - NIGHT

A glass of BOURBON in one hand and a COMPUTER MOUSE in the other,
                          Dr. Gonzo contemplates getting off the message board and back to his script.

Comment

Yawn.

Sounds boring as hell.

Comment

Originally posted by spyder23 View Post
                              Yawn.

Sounds boring as hell.
                              You are the lucky winner of our super special bonus contest! Your prize is this deluxe one of a kind invitation to NOT see this movie. You can redeem this special offer on an ongoing basis between now and the end of your natural life. Congratulations! Please forward the $10 approximate value of this prize to the charity or drinking establishment of your choice.

Comment

I liked it. The plot is simple but compelling and never dragged. They could have gone deeper with the characters but oh well. There was one trope used that I know will offend the tastes of some but it served its purpose, I thought.

Comment

Working...
                                X