Who knows-Cinema Arts Tech- Film School?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who knows-Cinema Arts Tech- Film School?

I attend Nov. 11-13 Screenwriter's Expo 4 and upon entering my name in the entry of one of the vendors there, I received a phone call from: "Cinema Arts Tech" Vocational Technical Training School - does anyone here know anything about them? Are the reputable?

Does anyone make it after going through their sessions, etc? I'm skeptic because everyone out is trying to take your money, but do you really make it in this business? Does it pay off to invest with this or not?

I'm open to your opinons, if not - how to do I find if they are good for me, us, anyone interested in their offerings to really make money and be inside this business?

I wait for a response.
    D. Alin
    http://alinproduction.blogspot.com Sci-Fi/Fantasy (Basically) [Skype me at "Buyitpc" - I will surely love to talk!]

Re: Who knows-Cinema Arts Tech- Film School?

Dude.
    So you wanna be a script supervisor, huh?
    Cause that's the primary thing they teach.
    They have some production courses as well.
    Screenwriting? Not the place to go.
    Better places to go if you wanna spend money
    to learn to WRITE. Best way to learn to write
    is to write scripts and get criticism. You can
    read a host (millions or so) of books on the
    subject. Read other scripts at
    www.script-o-rama.com CAT says you can
    learn to write better by learning to be a
    script supervisor. Hmmmmm.
    As far as "getting on the inside of the Biz" as a
    writer through this route, IMHO it would be a longer
    shot than if you tossed your script out of a
    high rise at Wilshire and Canon.
    My advice, save your money and buy a book
    or two on screenwriting. AND write another
    script.
    Cole

Comment

Originally posted by Cole Blackburn
      Dude.
      So you wanna be a script supervisor, huh?
      Cause that's the primary thing they teach.
      They have some production courses as well.
      Screenwriting? Not the place to go.
      Better places to go if you wanna spend money
      to learn to WRITE. Best way to learn to write
      is to write scripts and get criticism. You can
      read a host (millions or so) of books on the
      subject. Read other scripts at
      www.script-o-rama.com CAT says you can
      learn to write better by learning to be a
      script supervisor. Hmmmmm.
      As far as "getting on the inside of the Biz" as a
      writer through this route, IMHO it would be a longer
      shot than if you tossed your script out of a
      high rise at Wilshire and Canon.
      My advice, save your money and buy a book
      or two on screenwriting. AND write another
      script.
      Cole
      Hi Cole-

I do appreciate your feedback, I wasn't intending to be a script supervisor, but this guy is so convincing that he can find placement in the industry... which he wanted to know if I was interested in anything else other than screenwriting... I told him no! He claims he beleives... (LOL) that I would want more. I just wanted to find out about how legit these people are, and what their angle is? He tried to convince me that I would be able to get my material sold by being a script supervisor... LOL, I agree. I just wanted to know from those who know this outfit how efficient and why they are approaching screenwriters with this jaron about making $6,5000. a week being a script supervisor and being able to get your script optioned?!

He's offering me a free seminar to see their school, but surely they offer that to everyone... just wanted to know your opinion on their school and what's its worth. As for books and tapes, etc... already done that and aware of the basics and crafts of things.

Again, thanks again!
      D. Alin
      http://alinproduction.blogspot.com Sci-Fi/Fantasy (Basically) [Skype me at "Buyitpc" - I will surely love to talk!]

Comment

run away! It's a load of crap.

Comment

Originally posted by cabbagewater
          run away! It's a load of crap.
          Happy you are telling me this, just wanted you guys opinions. Thanks, I figured these guys are trying to sell me something that isn't worth a wild. After all, I don't think a script supervisor helps to be a screenwriter? Right?

Yeah, just what I thought!

FIN.
          D. Alin

Comment

I am assuming you are looking at post-graduate degrees.

If you are in LA, there are three film schools that have solid reputations where the degree might mean something.

USC
            UCLA
            AFI

If you are in NY, then it's Columbia and NYU.

There are some other programs that are decent like UT Austin and FSU. And Stanford has a documentary program. But USC, UCLA, AFI, Columbia, and NYU are the elite programs.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamboogul
              I am assuming you are looking at post-graduate degrees.

If you are in LA, there are three film schools that have solid reputations where the degree might mean something.

USC
              UCLA
              AFI

If you are in NY, then it's Columbia and NYU.

There are some other programs that are decent like UT Austin and FSU. And Stanford has a documentary program. But USC, UCLA, AFI, Columbia, and NYU are the elite programs.
              Actually, I wasn't nor had the idea to persue this avenue, these guys called me two weeks ago wanting me to show up and check them out and be interested in joining them there - a sales pitch apparently--- I just wanted to know if anyone heard about these guys and what type of reput they had... I agree, I attended some schools, etc. But, these guys want script supervisors... not sure I would be interested in that anyways.

Thanks for the insight!
              D. Alin

Comment

Working...
              X