Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Assassinating important politicians?

Most of your senators and congressmen use commercial aircraft. Make your guy a millionaire, and he'd still use commercial aircraft just 'cause of public perception. Senator John Edwards always used commercial when he was traveling.

Most travel by themselves, or with an aide or two.

I saw Gephardt get off a plane through a crowded gate, and I saw that only me and one other guy even recognized him. Gephardt was traveling with two guys.

HH

Comment

If/when a Senator needs security, it's provided by/under control of the office of the Senate Sergeant at Arms (with the exception others have noted about presidential candidates). (When Hillary Clinton was a senator, I don't recall the arrangement, since as spouse of an ex-president she's entitled to Secret Service protection.)

Of course, many, many movies and TV shows screw up such details about the jurisdiction and responsibilities of federal law enforcement agencies. The excuse, I suppose, is that if you have a character mention "Senate Sergeant at Arms", someone's gonna tell you you need to explain that.. which takes screen time... WTF, let's make it Secret Service.

Also, I agree with haroldhecuba's comment about senators and congressmen using commercial aircraft.

Comment

I think the secret service catches the public imagination more by swearing to throw themselves bodily in the path of oncoming bullets meant for their boss. I guess most any law enforcement officer would do the same, but it's not widely publicised as being written into their contract. That kind of thing's got solid emotional appeal. Probably as much appeal as a 1960's Apollo jockey.
        "Would you take a f**k to save your president?"

Comment

FYI to OP - TSA: Some Gov't Officials to Skip Airport Security - ABC News

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Jenkins View Post
            I think the secret service catches the public imagination more by swearing to throw themselves bodily in the path of oncoming bullets meant for their boss. I guess most any law enforcement officer would do the same, but it's not widely publicised as being written into their contract.
            i'm pretty sure police officers take a verbal oath when sworn in... to serve and protect crap. when you work for the federal gov't it's to serve and protect against foreign and domestic... then you sign an oath which i would say IS a contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Manchester View Post
              Thanks for that link Manchester - very useful
              "Would you take a f**k to save your president?"

Comment

What if one of the agents was actually part of the assassination plot?
                My first crack at a logline usually makes a great synopsis!

Comment

Working...
                X